Author Topic: A myth exposed  (Read 5797 times)

Re: A myth exposed
« Reply #25 on: 11 November, 2014, 11:10:58 pm »
It's probably a myth that chocolate is an official 1 of 5 in the USA, but there must be more fruit in most jam than cocoa in most chocolate.

Depends how much neep there is in the jam.

That's Branston Pickle. Although I do remember a former colleague who swore that he saw a load of turnips being tipped at the jam factory in Histon.

« Reply #26 on: 12 November, 2014, 08:09:31 am »
Neeps indeed used to be used to bulk up jam. Ask a Dundonian of the right age.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #27 on: 12 November, 2014, 08:47:33 am »
A manager at a multinational food corp. once told me that they used the leftovers from making their famous pineapple chunks to bulk up tomato purée. What's a little innocent neep in your rhubarb & ginger, then? Makes it more nourishing.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: 03 December, 2014, 05:56:08 pm »
The chippy in Woolpit, Suffolk do deep fried chunky kit-kats. I must add that information to my 'Dick Turpin's Day Out 200km' routesheet......

« Reply #29 on: 03 December, 2014, 10:52:32 pm »
That^ is simply wrong in so many ways. I must try to forget it before I find myself using it as an excuse to sign up for DTDO.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #30 on: 03 December, 2014, 11:33:36 pm »
At least the deep fried mars bar the inside melt and become tasty goo.  What happens with a kitkat?

« Reply #31 on: 04 December, 2014, 12:09:52 am »
At least the deep fried mars bar the inside melt and become tasty goo.  What happens with a kitkat?
The insides melt and become gooey, but it a bit hard on the kat itself.
Kittens work better ............  :facepalm:

« Reply #32 on: 05 December, 2014, 09:20:41 am »
There are dozens of chip shops across the country that claim to have invented the deep fried Mars bar. Its not clear when or where it was first done.

Though yes, it is largely mythical, popularised by the media. A few chip shops advertise them for sale, but I doubt anyone actually buys them, apart from tourists or drunk students.

Not Mars bars, but battered steak pies were on the menu of the chippie near older brother's house a little s. of  Glasgow.  His wife was 53 when she died (of smoking) and at her funeral we noticed that almost none of the many nearby gravestones recorded the death of anyone who had reached the age of 60. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 05 December, 2014, 10:57:55 am »
There are dozens of chip shops across the country that claim to have invented the deep fried Mars bar. Its not clear when or where it was first done.

Though yes, it is largely mythical, popularised by the media. A few chip shops advertise them for sale, but I doubt anyone actually buys them, apart from tourists or drunk students.

Not Mars bars, but battered steak pies were on the menu of the chippie near older brother's house a little s. of  Glasgow.  His wife was 53 when she died (of smoking) and at her funeral we noticed that almost none of the many nearby gravestones recorded the death of anyone who had reached the age of 60.

[Wobbling somewhat OT] Wandering round the churchyards in Scotland's far north when I did LE-JOG, I was impressed by the longevity of the occupants.

« Reply #34 on: 05 December, 2014, 11:05:52 am »

[Wobbling somewhat OT] Wandering round the churchyards in Scotland's far north when I did LE-JOG, I was impressed by the longevity of the occupants.

(ignoring correlation =/= causation)
It's the midges wot does it
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 05 December, 2014, 12:45:42 pm »

(ignoring correlation =/= causation)
It's the midges wot does it

I don't think there are many midges in the windswept, tree-poor, Flow Country....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 05 December, 2014, 05:11:27 pm »
I don't think there are many midges in the windswept, tree-poor, Flow Country....

Yeah, but that's only because I'm not there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #37 on: 05 December, 2014, 06:34:09 pm »

Yeah, but that's only because I'm not there...

DON'T come to my part of Londonton, then! Says she scratching yet another f***ing bite in Debloodycember!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #38 on: 06 December, 2014, 11:51:12 pm »
I got a midge in my eye today. It's global warming gorn mahd I tell you!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #39 on: 09 December, 2014, 06:57:37 pm »
I had chips up north once - they came with some sort of foul khaki sauce all over.  You couldn't eat that five times a day.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird