Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 525355 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4150 on: 29 October, 2020, 06:19:38 pm »
I’ll try to pass by Hatfield Broad Oak in the next few days to see what their setup is like.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4151 on: 29 October, 2020, 07:22:10 pm »
I’ll try to pass by Hatfield Broad Oak in the next few days to see what their setup is like.

:thumbsup: Perhaps a cheeky cross-border trip into Tier 1 territory? Any recommendations in Sawbo, Spellbrook, Stortford?

I've cast the net wider within west Essex, looking for heated outdoor and undercover facilities: so far I've located the John Barleycorn in Threshers Bush (about 16 miles from home) and The Chequers, Matching Green (13 miles). The family friendly- and gastro-pubs seem to be the ones investing in marquees and heating. Neither are 'MEMWNS' kind of pubs really, but under the circumstances ...

« Reply #4152 on: 29 October, 2020, 08:56:45 pm »
That’s an idea Tomsk. A cross border foray would mean an indoor setting, and Toby’s dad is out next week. Quite a few pubs that I know are either not open or have restricted hours. Coach and Horses just outside Stortford might be an option. Or The Catherine Wheel in Albury would be a good option. We’ve been there before, very welcoming landlord.

The Fox and Hounds in Clavering would also be a good option. Another one we have been to, and they have good COVID related things in place, included outdoor heated marquee as an alternative to the indoor space.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4153 on: 30 October, 2020, 08:51:56 am »
Although I'd happily go to the Spiritual Home every week, we need to find a western-ish pub, (with a heated outdoor, but undercover area), for a bit of variety in the ride to and from. So far I have managed to go a different route there every time, but unless I start doing some longer, more convoluted ways it could get a bit same-y.

Yes, you're right.  I wonder what the White Hart (Tiger's Island) at Margarreting Tye has available.  There is the Cross Keys at Nounsley which is sort of west.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4154 on: 30 October, 2020, 08:52:47 am »
Although I'd happily go to the Spiritual Home every week, we need to find a western-ish pub, (with a heated outdoor, but undercover area), for a bit of variety in the ride to and from. So far I have managed to go a different route there every time, but unless I start doing some longer, more convoluted ways it could get a bit same-y.

Yes, you're right.  I wonder what the White Hart (Tiger's Island) at Margarreting Tye has available.  There is the Cross Keys at Nounsley which is sort of west.
The White Hart is shut until 2021  ::-)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4155 on: 30 October, 2020, 10:49:25 am »
PoW has a heated marqeeeeeee apparently
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4156 on: 30 October, 2020, 10:52:08 am »
PoW has a heated marqeeeeeee apparently

Which PoW?  There are several.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4157 on: 30 October, 2020, 11:08:41 am »
The one we usually go to - not aware of another we have been to? Stow Maries
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4158 on: 30 October, 2020, 11:11:55 am »

Got it.  There's a PoW in Great Totham.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4159 on: 30 October, 2020, 12:17:25 pm »

Got it.  There's a PoW in Great Totham.

Ah I don't think I've ever been past that pub, infact, I've just checked and nope - never cycled that road!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4160 on: 30 October, 2020, 12:25:55 pm »
I'm not sure it's currently open. I know it was closed but had heard it had new owners but no idea if they decided to open it or not with TFV (T being This V being Virus and F being guessable)

« Reply #4161 on: 30 October, 2020, 01:20:36 pm »
There is the Cross Keys at Nounsley which is sort of west.

Well, if you are referring to the geopolitical world map, then I guess it is 'in the west'. For mid-Essex, most certainly east!

« Reply #4162 on: 30 October, 2020, 01:34:12 pm »
Folks, all my Children have grown out of the Dawes Espoir that they were riding when younger (not that any of them want to be seen with me on a bike or put any kind of effort into getting anywhere  ::-))  so I am wondering if anyone would have a use for it? I'm happy to let it go for not on the premise that once the new owner no longer has a requirement for it they again look to pass it on to someone that does.

Some details:
Espoir 3000 (24 Inch wheels)
7 Speed (7x2)

I added interrupter brake levers to allow small hands to brake while on the top of the bars.
Could do with a new saddle

Drop me a PM if interested.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4163 on: 30 October, 2020, 02:06:19 pm »
Folks, all my Children have grown out of the Dawes Espoir that they were riding when younger (not that any of them want to be seen with me on a bike or put any kind of effort into getting anywhere  ::-))  so I am wondering if anyone would have a use for it? I'm happy to let it go for not on the premise that once the new owner no longer has a requirement for it they again look to pass it on to someone that does.

Some details:
7 Speed (7x2)

I added interrupter brake levers to allow small hands to brake while on the top of the bars.

If you don't get any bites might be worth considering https://www.re-cycle.org/ :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4164 on: 30 October, 2020, 02:07:59 pm »

Some details:
7 Speed (7x2)

If you don't get any bites might be worth considering https://www.re-cycle.org/ :)
Yeah, they would take it but figured I'll offer it here and it looks like we have a taker which is great. I did drop off a couple of bike to Re-Cycle last year so did my bit. I know a couple of the guys up there through Col-Velo and Tiptree Velo, they're a great outfit and actually have some cracking bikes for sale from time to time as well.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4165 on: 30 October, 2020, 02:16:23 pm »

Some details:
7 Speed (7x2)

Yeah, they would take it but figured I'll offer it here and it looks like we have a taker which is great. I did drop off a couple of bike to Re-Cycle last year so did my bit. I know a couple of the guys up there through Col-Velo and Tiptree Velo, they're a great outfit and actually have some cracking bikes for sale from time to time as well.

Yes so I heard when I was on my course this week, which is why I thought I would mention...  it's funny how strange and small the bike world can be sometimes!
Good to hear it's got a new home  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4166 on: 30 October, 2020, 08:02:33 pm »
That’s an idea Tomsk. A cross border foray would mean an indoor setting, and Toby’s dad is out next week. Quite a few pubs that I know are either not open or have restricted hours. Coach and Horses just outside Stortford might be an option. Or The Catherine Wheel in Albury would be a good option. We’ve been there before, very welcoming landlord.

The Fox and Hounds in Clavering would also be a good option. Another one we have been to, and they have good COVID related things in place, included outdoor heated marquee as an alternative to the indoor space.

If Nick is out next week a south-of-Stortford venue might be best. The Catherine Wheel is ok for me (about 15 miles away), though if I feel l need to avoid the M11 RBT then it's a little extra wiggle round the airport cyclepath to Birchanger.

« Reply #4167 on: 30 October, 2020, 08:41:44 pm »
If Nick is out next week a south-of-Stortford venue might be best. The Catherine Wheel is ok for me (about 15 miles away), though if I feel l need to avoid the M11 RBT then it's a little extra wiggle round the airport cyclepath to Birchanger.

Or you could go via Elsenham and Hazel End to Albury, avoiding the old A120 completely.

For Nick, it would be an extra 6km compared to south Stortford.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4168 on: 30 October, 2020, 09:28:36 pm »
TCW prob a bit to far for me at the moment, 50k out, 40k back if I hit the A roads.... but don't let that stop you guys, I am happy to skip a few nights  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4169 on: 31 October, 2020, 08:51:53 am »
TCW prob a bit to far for me at the moment, 50k out, 40k back if I hit the A roads.... but don't let that stop you guys, I am happy to skip a few nights  :thumbsup:

3 groups of 6? East, Central and Foreign. Make the most of it, all could be locked down again soon ...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4170 on: 31 October, 2020, 08:55:09 am »
The Essex 3R's route check perm ride on Sunday 1st November departing the Witham Labour Hall at 10am is now full.

1. OD
2. huggy
3. Tomsk
4. bobb
5. BFC
6. Deniece

Due to current restrictions there will be no (organised) 'spoons breakfast and post-ride refreshments.  I intend to ride entirely self-sufficient with maybe one outside café or shop stop in Stock.

:thumbsup: #3 & #6 are good to go. I'll aim for a pre-ride breakfast at the 'spoons/Greggs or whatever is available.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4171 on: 31 October, 2020, 09:19:44 am »

3 groups of 6? East, Central and Foreign. Make the most of it, all could be locked down again soon ...

Yep - think I'll probably just head Spiritual Home unless there is a desire for say PoW or similar?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4172 on: 31 October, 2020, 09:27:47 am »
I don't mind going to the PoW at Stow Maries next Wednesday, assuming we aren't locked down by then.

« Reply #4173 on: 31 October, 2020, 09:45:18 am »
The POW is a bit out of the EER area so I will look for a nearby venue with cover, seating and heating.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #4174 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:02:57 am »
The Essex 3R's route check perm ride on Sunday 1st November departing the Witham Labour Hall at 10am is now full.

1. OD
2. huggy
3. Tomsk
4. bobb
5. BFC
6. Deniece

Due to current restrictions there will be no (organised) 'spoons breakfast and post-ride refreshments.  I intend to ride entirely self-sufficient with maybe one outside café or shop stop in Stock.

:thumbsup: #3 & #6 are good to go. I'll aim for a pre-ride breakfast at the 'spoons/Greggs or whatever is available.

#5 is ready. I may even put a water bottle on the bike.