Author Topic: Water Butt Pipe Fittings  (Read 812 times)

Water Butt Pipe Fittings
« on: 10 April, 2021, 02:45:34 pm »
My new butt is sitting unused awaiting a reasonable length of pipe to arrive. It was supplied with c.40cm and I need more to go round a corner. In the meantime, I've been pondering the connection of the bit that fits on the downpipe. I've fitted one before, but that was to a downpipe that was free at the bottom. On my new build it goes into the ground and presumably into a storm sewer connection. That means there's going to be little movement once I've cut through the downpipe. Will there be enough play to get the adapter into both ends of the downpipe?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Water Butt Pipe Fittings
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2021, 03:45:14 pm »
Based on my experience of doing it precisely once I’d say yes. Will depend on your adapter but was fine with mine.

« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2021, 03:57:28 pm »
Depends how far you can flex the downpipe away from the wall. I have a short section on a shed, and need to move the upper part up around an inch to get the adaptor in. My well be worth getting/making a sleeve section to allow wiggle room.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2021, 04:16:51 pm »
There are a couple of braces on the downpipe, and I can easily free one of those temporarily. I guess I won't know until I try.

What's the general advice for how much higher than the outlet should the adapter be fitted? There were no instructions at all with my kit.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2021, 04:22:00 pm »
As level as possible, otherwise, with it higher, it keeps trying to fill the already full butt, resulting in lid leakage.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2021, 07:57:52 pm »
Well, there was hardly any play in the pipe, even with two support braces removed. I chopped down the adapter and pulled the pipes as far as I dared, then little bit more. Things creaked a lot, but it eventually went home. I think on a warmer day the pipe would've been more flexible, but it worked...