Author Topic: Tubeless for Dummies  (Read 195149 times)

Re: Tubeless for Dummies
« Reply #1100 on: 02 May, 2021, 03:06:49 pm »
Yep it is almost impossible to kill a Hutchinson Sector 32.  Bear in mind that the price you pay for this is traction if you ride them towards their max pressure. (Only a reall problem when out of saddleon damp hills)

« Reply #1101 on: 02 May, 2021, 06:44:37 pm »
I wore out one tyre with a Stan's Dart still embedded.  On another tyre with a repair right centre-line, the Dart came out on a steep stony lane.  I stuck a tube in, patched it when I got home,and it's fine, nearly worn out now. 

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1102 on: 07 June, 2021, 09:11:36 pm »
July 2019. I fitted a pair of Bontrager XR2 Team Issue tubeless tyres  on the mtb, combined with Barbeiri Anaconda tyre liners (aka builders foam backer roads aka pool noodles), and  Caffelatex Tubeless Rim Strip (along with a couple of turns around the rim with tessa tape to seal the spoke drillings)
Now I probably didn't need the tyre liner things, however since it's converted non tubeless wheels I'm running, probably safer to have the tyre liners on to stop any burping!    Absolutely zero issues since then!  I'm only just this evening stripping them out, to put fresh sealant in!  :thumbsup: Granted, I haven't done a lot of cycling on the MTB since then (due to health issues from July 2020 onwards...)

:thumbsup:

« Reply #1103 on: 07 June, 2021, 10:32:26 pm »
July 2019. I fitted a pair of Bontrager XR2 Team Issue tubeless tyres  on the mtb, combined with Barbeiri Anaconda tyre liners (aka builders foam backer roads aka pool noodles), and  Caffelatex Tubeless Rim Strip (along with a couple of turns around the rim with tessa tape to seal the spoke drillings)
Now I probably didn't need the tyre liner things, however since it's converted non tubeless wheels I'm running, probably safer to have the tyre liners on to stop any burping!    Absolutely zero issues since then!  I'm only just this evening stripping them out, to put fresh sealant in!  :thumbsup: Granted, I haven't done a lot of cycling on the MTB since then (due to health issues from July 2020 onwards...)

:thumbsup:

will give this a shot

« Reply #1104 on: 07 June, 2021, 11:21:22 pm »
Interesting as I have just given up on a pair of bontrager tyres. My wheels with the new bike are tubeless ready and the tyres were listed as tubeless. I put proper rim tape on and set them up as I have done every other time. They kept deflating. Changed for a set of Hutchinson sectors and they have been faultless. The tyres were clearly not tubeless!

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1105 on: 08 June, 2021, 07:50:09 am »
Interesting as I have just given up on a pair of bontrager tyres. My wheels with the new bike are tubeless ready and the tyres were listed as tubeless. I put proper rim tape on and set them up as I have done every other time. They kept deflating. Changed for a set of Hutchinson sectors and they have been faultless. The tyres were clearly not tubeless!

Maybe it's just a rim brand / tyre size issue?

I did build the rim of my wheels with a few layers of tessa tape, underneath the cafélatex rim strip. It did require soapy water and frantic track pump pumping to set the tyre beads though.

Although perhaps road tubeless is more sensitive,  particular at higher road pressures compared to MTB.

« Reply #1106 on: 08 June, 2021, 08:54:50 am »
The originals were bontrager tyres which came with the bike. They fitted well, inflated and bel for about 24 hours and a 40km ride but then deflated overnight. 

« Reply #1107 on: 08 June, 2021, 09:57:08 am »
What did it say on the actual tyre?

« Reply #1108 on: 08 June, 2021, 02:08:31 pm »
They said they were tubeless.  Supplied by trek from new with tubes.  Could have been a slightly substandard lot put out as the tyre on new bikes with tubes in.  It was strange as they would inflate and seal perfectly and I could go for a 40km ride or commute to work and back (8-9hours) and they would be fine but by the following morning completely flat.  I checked and topped up the sealant which was stand race sealant with stand tape so all compatible.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1109 on: 08 June, 2021, 02:21:08 pm »
it sounds like an issue with the set up, i.e. insufficiently wide or not properly tensioned rim tape (seen this case last saturday), hole for the valve has leaks, tyre bead not properly seated, not enough sealant. the air can't just magically escape from tyres overnight.

« Reply #1110 on: 08 June, 2021, 03:26:37 pm »
Bontrager rims aren't setup tubeless ready from new - you have to replace the cloth/plastic tape supplied with the Bontrager Rim Strip: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Bontrager/Aeolus-TLR-Rim-Strip/FJP8

Sort of makes sense as you don't have the mega tight fit hassle when changing a tube if running tubes, and the rim strip adds diameter/bead lock for running tubeless.

I've tried to set them up without (before I was told what make the unbranded rim was) and it just doesn't work.

« Reply #1111 on: 09 June, 2021, 10:13:59 pm »
Alex, I had already taped them with Stans tape.

I realise it could be one of those options but with no change apart from bontrager tyre to an old Hutchinson sector I still am inclined to blame the tyre.

« Reply #1112 on: 13 June, 2021, 04:48:30 pm »
[bleeding obvious]if you have a loose lock on the valve, that might be the cause of your slow puncture[/bleeding obvious]  :facepalm:
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #1113 on: 14 June, 2021, 06:30:57 am »
I thought of that and had checked several times. When I swapped the tyre I specifically did nothing to the valve.

« Reply #1114 on: 15 June, 2021, 02:50:46 pm »
Hi Chris, sorry, my post was aimed at myself - an issue I've just been suffering with. 
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #1115 on: 15 June, 2021, 11:17:18 pm »
No problem. I am still puzzled about my situation.

« Reply #1116 on: 16 June, 2021, 01:59:33 pm »
I've already given the answer, but if you want the manufacturer's version: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/how-to-set-your-tires-up-tubeless/

Note that this is the most optimistic paragraph ever written -
Using tape can make your overall setup lighter, but it usually takes more effort to set up and doesn’t lock with the bead of the tire quite as well. Not all Bontrager wheels can be set up using tubeless tape, so be sure to check compatibility.

I'd be willing to bet quite a lot that the tyres that worked are just a very tight fitting tyre, but if deflated will jump off the rim.

« Reply #1117 on: 16 June, 2021, 04:04:28 pm »
thanks Alex.  I have been using tubeless for about 8 years now on various bikes and wheels so have a little knowledge.  These were TLR bontrager rims and the tyres were also said to be tubeless.  I used tape rather than their proprietary rim strip so that might be a difference but the taping was exactly as done before multiple times.  The bontrager tyres were harder to get on and the replacement Hutchison Sectors went on with finger pressure, inflated easily and simply worked.

Thanks for the help.

« Reply #1118 on: 16 June, 2021, 04:24:23 pm »
I'm thinking of converting my old (2011) MTB wheels to tubeless. They're obvioulsy not intended to be run tubeless, but the general consensus does seem to be that it should work fine with wider MTB rims. I desperately need new tyres, so I may as well try tubeless and if it doesn't work - just bung some tubes in.

The only thing I'm not sure of is the drillings are for Shrader valves. I've measured them at 8mm. I notice the Stans valves say they fit drillings up to 8mm, so I'm assuming they'll be fine? You can get Shrader tubless valves and I guess the valve will fill the hole better, but have no idea if this will make any difference at all when it comes to getting a good seal?

Any thoughts?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1119 on: 16 June, 2021, 06:10:44 pm »
i would only dare riding such setup in non-demanding conditions (runabout bike, speeds up to 20kph on flat terrain). regarding the valve, i'd pack it out so it doesn't wobble/move in a larger hole, it shouldn't cause problems at low(ish) pressures.

« Reply #1120 on: 16 June, 2021, 06:59:46 pm »
i would only dare riding such setup in non-demanding conditions (runabout bike, speeds up to 20kph on flat terrain). regarding the valve, i'd pack it out so it doesn't wobble/move in a larger hole, it shouldn't cause problems at low(ish) pressures.

Hmmm... Maybe I'll just tube up then. I do need new tyres, but I'm just keeping this bike going until I buy a new one. Which I would tomorrow if any of the MTBs I like were in stock. Availability is so bad at the moment, I may end up waiting until next spring....

« Reply #1121 on: 16 June, 2021, 07:16:48 pm »
Worth asking on an MTB forum I'd have thought. Bound to be people who have done it already.

« Reply #1122 on: 16 June, 2021, 07:58:55 pm »
Worth asking on an MTB forum I'd have thought. Bound to be people who have done it already.

I've read plenty of threads on various places where MTBers hang out. Most people say it will be fine. There are a few who say otherwise. Who to trust eh?! I might just go tubed for this bike as it will be condemned to life as a hack bike once I get a new MTB. I will be going tubeless on the bike I have with TLR rims metioned in the other thread, but I'm just waiting for the current tyres to wear out. They are stubbornly refusing to show any signs of wear though!

« Reply #1123 on: 16 June, 2021, 08:10:47 pm »
My view on tubeless is that it is more hassle than it is worth if it is a bike you don't ride regularly because you do need to pump up the tyres every few weeks. If you leave them for a few months they can deflate, unseat and leak.

I'd say that if you are in doubt, then you already have your answer.

« Reply #1124 on: 16 June, 2021, 08:20:27 pm »
My view on tubeless is that it is more hassle than it is worth if it is a bike you don't ride regularly because you do need to pump up the tyres every few weeks. If you leave them for a few months they can deflate, unseat and leak.

I'd say that if you are in doubt, then you already have your answer.

Cheers. Good point. Tubes on that bike it is then....