Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1630044 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5825 on: 18 January, 2015, 08:45:49 pm »
Family, when I've been 6 hours travelling, and ask to be collected from the stations, please
1) Talk to each other enough to turn up to the right station
2) do not sit in a car with a known doubtful battery for half an hour with the ignition and headlights on but the engine stopped.

To quote my then 3-year-old brother: "Oh dear! The batterieth will get ferlat and they won't be able to thtart the car..."

fuzzy

« Reply #5826 on: 20 January, 2015, 08:47:15 am »
OK, so the front passenger seat seatbelt warning light sometimes doesn't. Or when it does it shouldn't. And the seatbelt pretensioner warning light is about as decisive as an indecisive thing after a severe beating about the head. And the front passenger airbag warning light lies.

I take the front seat out and untie all the magic anbaric knots and retie them and put the seat back. Result? NFC :demon:

Send cage off to cage repairers. They plug in their guru which says Body Control Unit is borked. That will be £518 to replace all in says the guru operator but we have to order the thing as we don't hold it in stock so we can't fix before Wednesday at the earliest. I says OK, I'll pick the car up in a mo. He says fine but you will have to pay for the part in advance as it is a SPECIAL THING.

I arrives at the cage repairers and the guru supervisor says hello here is your car. That will be the cost of the part plus £60 for the honour of us telling you you have to spend over £500 :o

You mean you aren't including the diagnostic cost in the cost of the repair?

No.

Money grabbing wankers.

I hope, for their sake, that they have discumknockerated the seat sensor and checked the wiring continuity because if they haven't I don't think we will need the medium of yacf.co.uk to gauge Fuzzy Rtd etc's response to 'We've changed the body control unit and the fault's come back!'

If a car dealership is suddenly engulfed in an enormous fireball . . .

You may jest......

Picked car up last night. Started engine, pre tensioner warning light refused to go out >:(

So, the cage is back at the fettlers. I get a call yesterday arvo from Fettler Admin Dude (FAD)- "Have you had battery problems? We are getting 4 low voltage error codes", "Yes" I reply. "We replaced the battery a little while ago". "Before or after we changed the BCU?" FAD asks. "A couple of months before" I tell him. He goes away to tell the fettlers.

An hour or so later FAD calls back- "Do you need the car back tonight?" I tell him we don't. "We are struggling to find out what is wrong" he explains. "We need to do a snapshot- we get the download all the data from the cars Babbage Engine and send it to Mazda's Babbage Engine so they can look at it". "OK" I says. "Zoom Zoom".

::-)

No contact from the garage yesterday so I phone them at 4:15 p.m. "Funny you should phone" says FAD, "Your car Babbage Engine has spoken with the Mother Ship Babbage Engine (MSBE) and the MSBE Minions (MSBEM) have sent us a request for further checks- 39 pages of system checks on BCU's, anbaric string connections, resistance etc."

"Am I building up a tab here?" I asks.

"Hang on a mo" says FAD. he returns a little while later to say "If the fault is linked to the work we have done, that will be free. If it isn't, it will be another £114."

"Now wait just one cotton picking moment Hoss" says I. "I have already spent over £600 to be in exactly the same position as I was before I dropped the car off for repair and you might want more money?"

The saga continues.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5827 on: 20 January, 2015, 02:39:02 pm »
Dear The (formerly Hampstead Garden Suburb) Institute,

Thank you for the invitation to your Opening Ceremony.

Would it be too much to include your address on the invite?

Must Adult Education start with an initiative test?

A little Googling has given your address but...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5828 on: 20 January, 2015, 04:17:12 pm »
Gah! An estimated 6-7 pm is not the same as 3.45-4.45! Well, at least it's the same day. So far.  ::-)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5829 on: 20 January, 2015, 04:57:02 pm »
If you are sending me a quote for £xxk of technical work don't you think it would be a good idea to make sure you spell my name correctly?

You obviously know it as it's part of my email address, and it makes me wonder where else you've been sloppy.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5830 on: 20 January, 2015, 05:14:05 pm »
I hope that ball of compressed gunk I just fished out of my pocket didn't start life as a banknote ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5831 on: 20 January, 2015, 05:16:53 pm »
I had a horrendous day at work.  One of the worst ever.  I knew it would be bad so arranged weeks ago with the office to MAKE SURE I would have the following day to sort out all the paperwork and samples.

They have booked me on site tomorrow anyway  >:(
Does not play well with others

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5832 on: 20 January, 2015, 05:22:40 pm »
I hope that ball of compressed gunk I just fished out of my pocket didn't start life as a banknote ???

Probably didn't; banknotes are much more robust than tissues.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5833 on: 20 January, 2015, 06:22:58 pm »
It definitely wasn't a tissue but may have been a Post-It with a shopping list on it.  Good job I remembered the sugar today.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5834 on: 21 January, 2015, 09:11:50 am »
Dentist! When sending a text reminding me of an appointment tomorrow, it would be helpful if you a) included the time b) pointed out it's not actually for me but my son.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5835 on: 21 January, 2015, 12:12:14 pm »

Orange Cardboard, on the other hand, is surprisingly non-robust in the face of a washing machine.  Or on a bad day, a couple of hours in a jersey pocket on a recumbent seat (DAHIKT).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5836 on: 21 January, 2015, 01:58:42 pm »

Orange Cardboard, on the other hand, is surprisingly non-robust in the face of a washing machine.  Or on a bad day, a couple of hours in a jersey pocket on a recumbent seat (DAHIKT).

I usually end up with around 8-10 bits of Orange Cardboard per trip.
These seldom get pocketed because they live in the Green Crip's Card Wallet.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5837 on: 21 January, 2015, 02:58:01 pm »
<SNIP>

No contact from the garage yesterday so I phone them at 4:15 p.m. "Funny you should phone" says FAD, "Your car Babbage Engine has spoken with the Mother Ship Babbage Engine (MSBE) and the MSBE Minions (MSBEM) have sent us a request for further checks- 39 pages of system checks on BCU's, anbaric string connections, resistance etc."

"Am I building up a tab here?" I asks.

"Hang on a mo" says FAD. he returns a little while later to say "If the fault is linked to the work we have done, that will be free. If it isn't, it will be another £114."

"Now wait just one cotton picking moment Hoss" says I. "I have already spent over £600 to be in exactly the same position as I was before I dropped the car off for repair and you might want more money?"

The saga continues.

Dr John sez they've fucked up. They just don't want to admit it.

Dust off and nuke from orbit etc.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5838 on: 21 January, 2015, 06:08:55 pm »
Partner's dentist has finally discovered crack in crown of tooth that has bothered him, on an off, for several months.
David has seen dentist numerous times complaining about this pain.

« Reply #5839 on: 21 January, 2015, 06:51:12 pm »
They insisted I move my all my bikes from the communal stairwell so they could renovate it.  That was at the start of December.  Since then they've installed new lights, removed the flooring & fixed some of the bad concrete stairtreads.  That was last year.

Nothing at all since then,  no sign of the workmen at all. An email has been sent to the managing agent  >:(   

And I'm lurgified again,  running a mild temp, a nasty tickly cough & snot trickling down my throat  :sick:

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5840 on: 22 January, 2015, 01:18:13 pm »
Feel like grumbling, can't think of anything specific.  Non-specific grumblitis.

Oh aye (he said in his best provincial old-fart dialect) the honey-process Colombian arabica I paid a bit over the odds for was a great let-down: oily and bitter, zero fruitiness, virtually no redeeming features. Bollocks.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5841 on: 22 January, 2015, 04:40:12 pm »
Lurg, again. I was ill Sat-Mon with prelurg evidence Thu/Fri last week.

Made it back into work on Tues feeling somewhat improved hoping this was it gone...  Weds eve sudden feeling crappy and hot/cold and hideously dizzy making the previous lurg look like a laugh... 

Good thing my boss is decent cos HR/other are going to shit a brick at sick/work/sick in the same week...  Fucking immune system needs to get a fucking grip. 

« Reply #5842 on: 23 January, 2015, 10:39:56 am »
Started losing my voice when talking on the phone.  Called in sick on Thursday,  just felt totally wiped out.   A sore throat with foul tasting mucus running down from my nasal area.  My nose isn't running though....  I'm using an empty yogurt pot as a spitoon..... :sick:

Hacking cough every couple of minutes which is hurting my ribs  :(      Hope this clears up soon.  Bah!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Chris S

« Reply #5843 on: 23 January, 2015, 10:49:07 am »
Started losing my voice when talking on the phone.  Called in sick on Thursday,  just felt totally wiped out.   A sore throat with foul tasting mucus running down from my nasal area.  My nose isn't running though....  I'm using an empty yogurt pot as a spitoon..... :sick:

Hacking cough every couple of minutes which is hurting my ribs  :(      Hope this clears up soon.  Bah!

Note to self: If you're ever round andrewc's, politely decline any offer of yogurt.

« Reply #5844 on: 23 January, 2015, 01:50:21 pm »
Partner's dentist has finally discovered crack in crown of tooth that has bothered him, on an off, for several months.
I hope he gets refunds for any charges for previous visits, or credits against the cost of fixing the problem.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5845 on: 23 January, 2015, 02:03:14 pm »
Still lurgied here. Taxi'd it into work to do test-webcall of d00m which was pretty dire and I'm now wiped.  Definitely don't feel guilty for being off sick, brain is useless and I'm still hot/cold/hot/cold despite paracetamol AND ibuprofen...  Hoping I am better by Monday and this doesn't turn into broncholurgy.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5846 on: 23 January, 2015, 04:16:38 pm »
Feeling crappy: throat, general bleh, etc. Snow forecast anyway.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5847 on: 23 January, 2015, 06:12:02 pm »

I have a piece of orange cardboard that's supposed to last the year. As I have to push it through a machine four times a day it's a miracle it lasts more than a month...
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #5848 on: 23 January, 2015, 06:16:00 pm »
I spent half an hour on the phone today to British Gas, the end result of which was he had sent me an email that would "arrive within twenty minutes" and he was going to speak to his manager and phone me back in ten minutes.

An hour later, neither had occurred, so I rang back. There's no record of me having contacted them today.  >:(

Time for the ombudsman, see if they can do any better.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5849 on: 23 January, 2015, 06:32:29 pm »
I hope he gets refunds for any charges for previous visits, or credits against the cost of fixing the problem.

Dentist did not charge for fruitless visit two months ago. He did charge for the check-up and filling to asymptomatic, different tooth 4 months ago.