Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1629852 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #16275 on: 02 July, 2023, 03:06:54 pm »
I wonder why it is considered acceptable to ruin a reasonable Sunday afternoon by singing out of tune and time in a group outside. So called social singing group. Some perversions should be kept private and inside.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16276 on: 02 July, 2023, 05:37:49 pm »
I wonder why it is considered acceptable to ruin a reasonable Sunday afternoon by singing out of tune and time in a group outside. So called social singing group. Some perversions should be kept private and inside.

I live within droning distance of a church.  It's still better than  a) car horns  2) strimmers  iii) dogs  0x04) bagpipes

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #16277 on: 02 July, 2023, 08:18:10 pm »
within droning distance of a church.

;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16278 on: 02 July, 2023, 08:28:31 pm »
within droning distance of a church.

;D

They're a bit on the evangelical side, but evidently not to the point of having decent music.

« Reply #16279 on: 02 July, 2023, 10:27:01 pm »

Could be worse - I once had a bagpipe band start practising outside my flat on a Sunday morning.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #16280 on: 02 July, 2023, 10:59:49 pm »
A long time ago I suffered something in the region of 14 pipe, horn, drum and all the other noisy carp leftpondian style marching bands practicing 200 meters up the road from home.  Really, the full on tassles, twirlers and sparkly outfits plus a hundred noise makers of varying talent & timing per group marching fucking bands.
Just the ones from leftpondia had hired a 747 to get to Gatwick. Plus more teams from the UK, Europe and all over the globe.
I have no idea if being within earshot of the practice ground rather than the competition ground improved or worsened the experience (and no desire to find out!). Court Lodge School fields was not the only practice ground and that'll date it.  Thursday afternoon it was a case of oooh that's interesting I wonder what's going on. By Friday afternoon as more teams arrived and the gaps of (relative) peace narrowed nerves began to fray.   Right through Saturday - arghhh!
Thankfully they forked off to Crawley for the actual competition on the Sunday.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16281 on: 03 July, 2023, 07:26:00 am »
Yesterday I had my coffee & cake at a pâtisserie just across the road from a church.  When they cut loose with the bells at 12 noon it was a wonder the shop window didn't shatter.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #16282 on: 03 July, 2023, 09:55:03 am »
Yebbut they don't know how to ring church bells properly in France!  Its just random jangling/donging, instead of proper full circle ringing to call changes or methods, what we do here in the UK (and other CofE regions).
Wombat

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16283 on: 03 July, 2023, 10:11:44 am »
Yebbut they don't know how to ring church bells properly in France!  Its just random jangling/donging, instead of proper full circle ringing to call changes or methods, what we do here in the UK (and other CofE regions).
A well rung method is a sound to behold, though there are very few towers these days that can manage a well rung method. Even my old tower (even though I’ve now left) struggles these days. Campanology is on the wane it would seem.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #16284 on: 03 July, 2023, 10:32:03 am »
We were quite lucky here, in that before covid we would regularly have a full band of six reasonably competent ringers every Sunday and on Thursday 'practice night'. Thursday would be a little more chaotic as I suspect there would be a couple of novice tryer outers with them.
After a year of silence they got an automated system which is crap because it is too perfect.  (In the same way that syn drums are crap.)
They're now back to proper bell ringers although it's rare that there are more than five.
We still get the crap syn bells occasionally.  I'm guessing that there are fewer competent ringers around and the one full band play away in other neighbouring churches sometimes.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #16285 on: 03 July, 2023, 12:53:42 pm »
Bought tickets yesterday for Kirkaldy's Testing Works on July 22nd - one of the rare (monthly) occasions when they'll actually be running the main testing machine - only to find out that there's a rail strike that day.  :(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16286 on: 03 July, 2023, 02:16:33 pm »

Nothing to do with it.  I enjoy a good peal at an appropriate distance. they buggers were LOUD.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #16287 on: 03 July, 2023, 02:48:15 pm »
Bought tickets yesterday for Kirkaldy's Testing Works on July 22nd - one of the rare (monthly) occasions when they'll actually be running the main testing machine - only to find out that there's a rail strike that day.  :(

Not in Fife  :P

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16288 on: 03 July, 2023, 03:40:20 pm »
My cleaning lady is mother to a 11-year-old, who is approaching the end of Primary School, as befits kids of that age.

Child has end-of-term/school play in near future, before kids are scattered to pastures anew by the four winds.

No parental photography is permitted.

After performance, photographs of child + parent will be taken, presumably in costume.

So, no group shot of final curtain call.

No class photo for a lifetime of nostalgia.

This emphasis on kids' security and privacy both saddens and maddens me.

D, Friend and I quite frequently muse over their 1975 class pic.

Life will be poorer without these things IMHO...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16289 on: 03 July, 2023, 04:20:06 pm »
I don't remember parental photography of school plays being much of a thing when I was at primary school.  A teacher may have taken photos during dress rehearsals of the bigger ones.  By secondary this was formalised, with the lighting and blocking being jibbled to better suit official photography for some newsletter or - not uncommonly - the portfolios of the Arty Kids who'd done the costumes or set design.  Parents were discouraged from using flash, but some did take photos or occasionally (analogue) video.  My parents didn't and I don't feel that I was missing out (though my feelings on the matter may have been different if I'd had a more significant role than third sheep or random member of the chorus).

Of course, the world has changed, and the only thing worse than someone else's parents shitting your photos all over friendface is your own parents shitting your photos all over friendface.

On the gripping hand, policies such as this are probably better than conspicuously removing the token Looked After child from the play in order to comply with TEH RULEZ, which seems like a good enough reason to me.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16290 on: 03 July, 2023, 04:29:57 pm »
The bathroom light I chose for the last bathroom is discontinued. Which means I have to find an alternative one. Same for the vinyl flooring.
Bah.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #16291 on: 03 July, 2023, 05:20:18 pm »

Not in Fife  :P
Different Kirkcaldy  ;)
The person not the place.
Clicky
More clicky

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16292 on: 03 July, 2023, 09:19:42 pm »
I don't remember parental photography of school plays being much of a thing when I was at primary school.  A teacher may have taken photos during dress rehearsals of the bigger ones.  By secondary this was formalised, with the lighting and blocking being jibbled to better suit official photography for some newsletter or - not uncommonly - the portfolios of the Arty Kids who'd done the costumes or set design.  Parents were discouraged from using flash, but some did take photos or occasionally (analogue) video.  My parents didn't and I don't feel that I was missing out (though my feelings on the matter may have been different if I'd had a more significant role than third sheep or random member of the chorus).
Of course, the world has changed, and the only thing worse than someone else's parents shitting your photos all over friendface is your own parents shitting your photos all over friendface.
On the gripping hand, policies such as this are probably better than conspicuously removing the token Looked After child from the play in order to comply with TEH RULEZ, which seems like a good enough reason to me.

My gripe is mostly about absence of final tableau or class pic.

Mum's off to see her starring 11 year old grandchild at a similar do tomorrow and fully expects a photography ban too.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16293 on: 03 July, 2023, 09:29:01 pm »
Yebbut, pædobear!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16294 on: 03 July, 2023, 10:33:44 pm »
My gripe is mostly about absence of final tableau or class pic.

Those weren't a thing in my day.  Well, there was the official annual one in school uniform (are those still a thing?), but nothing play related.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #16295 on: 04 July, 2023, 01:05:02 pm »
I think parental photos of the play etc. were banned because one or other parent(s) objected to other parents photoing their child.  At least that's what we were told.  Not that I would have taken any.
I limited myself to reception and year 6 class photos of my little dears. 
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #16296 on: 04 July, 2023, 08:18:33 pm »
Why is it going to take First Direct up to 5 working days to open a new savings account for me ?  I'm not exactly a new customer, they've had my dosh for the last 30 years or so.   >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16297 on: 04 July, 2023, 08:25:50 pm »
Why is it going to take First Direct up to 5 working days to open a new savings account for me ?  I'm not exactly a new customer, they've had my dosh for the last 30 years or so.   >:(

Are you the one time leader of a rabble rousing shite political party perhaps?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #16298 on: 04 July, 2023, 09:57:47 pm »
I'm an unpaid follower of Mr Larrington's Democratic Ruthless Bastards.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16299 on: 05 July, 2023, 08:03:05 am »
Twisted my knee on my new cardiologist's death-trap staircase, a horrid "square" spiral with wide triangular treads in the bends and 25-cm-wide treads in between, like something out of a mediaeval castle designed to trip invaders. Wish my old cardio hadn't retired, he was a great bloke.