Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 841226 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #5600 on: 03 April, 2020, 02:16:47 pm »
Years ago I read of a fire aboard a Eurostar during which "passengers were able to evacuate into a parallel service tunnel". Must have been a bit smelly in there.

Re substitute, the Who knew which way round. https://youtu.be/eswQl-hcvU0
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5601 on: 03 April, 2020, 03:18:16 pm »
This is why I would avoid using substitute as a verb. "Replace with" is unambiguous (so far) and doesn't attract criticism.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5602 on: 03 April, 2020, 04:11:20 pm »
That's what happens, in the end.  Mistakes co-exist with correct usage and meanings become woolly.  The mistakes usually appear in Guardian crosswords not long into this process.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5603 on: 03 April, 2020, 04:32:17 pm »
Substitute seems to be changing its meaning. It used to mean (and still does) that if X was substituted for Y then X replaced Y. Nowadays it occasionally (often?) means that Y replaced X.  I blame soccer.

I'll be perfectly honest, I can never remember which way round is correct. But to be even more honest, if I thought it mattered, I might make more effort to remember! The intended meaning is usually obvious from the context.

I've even been known not to give a toss when people use "evacuate" incorrectly (ie evacuating a building rather than a person).

Shirley a building can be evacuated, so can a person if you have a hose and a funnel
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5604 on: 03 April, 2020, 04:43:43 pm »
Shirley a building can be evacuated, so can a person if you have a hose and a funnel

See, I got it the wrong way round in my earlier comment - even though I do actually know the correct usage...

But I’ll try not to lose any sleep over it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5605 on: 07 April, 2020, 09:04:26 am »
That's what happens, in the end.  Mistakes co-exist with correct usage and meanings become woolly.  The mistakes usually appear in Guardian crosswords not long into this process.
The clues in Guardian crosswords seem to be made as far from the standard usage as possible without being impossible to say it's the same word. Which makes sense given their function. Though I do hope nobody's trying to learn English from them.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5606 on: 07 April, 2020, 09:14:35 am »
The clues in Guardian crosswords seem to be made as far from the standard usage as possible without being impossible to say it's the same word. Which makes sense given their function. Though I do hope nobody's trying to learn English from them.

I was agreeably surprised the other day when I spelt a German word with an umlaut and the crossword engine accepted it. Then I spelt an English word with a Ü and it accepted that.  Elementary character-mapping, dear Watson.

« Reply #5607 on: 07 April, 2020, 11:02:05 am »
The use of the word "brace" when someone scores two goals in a football match.

citoyen

« Reply #5608 on: 07 April, 2020, 11:47:13 am »

Most crossword compilers use Chambers as their dictionary of choice - mainly because of its liberal attitude towards the inclusion of variant spellings and secondary meanings. I also have on my bookshelf a copy of the Chambers Crossword Dictionary, which includes plentiful lists of common cruciverbalisms.

The only thing you will learn from doing crosswords regularly is how to become good at solving crosswords.

Brewers Dictionary of Phrase & Fable is also a classic crossword companion.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5609 on: 09 April, 2020, 10:38:16 am »

Most crossword compilers use Chambers as their dictionary of choice - mainly because of its liberal attitude towards the inclusion of variant spellings and secondary meanings. I also have on my bookshelf a copy of the Chambers Crossword Dictionary, which includes plentiful lists of common cruciverbalisms.

The only thing you will learn from doing crosswords regularly is how to become good at solving crosswords.

Brewers Dictionary of Phrase & Fable is also a classic crossword companion.

Yeah. In the Graun's Quick this morning they decided that specious meant deceptively pleasing, which is a bit bass-ackwards IMHO. Specious for me starts out pleasing then disappoints, rather than the other way round.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5610 on: 09 April, 2020, 12:27:29 pm »
Yesterday I was unmangling a document that had been put together by automatic speech recognition (see rants passim). One of the gems of this one was its reference to "chief Brexit negotiator Michelle Obama". It was only after I'd sent it off that I realised I'd corrected the surname but forgotten to de-feminise his first name.  ::-) The worst of it is, I'm sure nobody even noticed.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5611 on: 15 April, 2020, 09:42:55 am »
...a siphonophore measuring an estimated 150 feet (46 metres)...The research vehicle dove as deep as 4,439 metres, but the siphonophore was only discovered as the vehicle was making its way back to the surface at around 630 metres... The new siphonophore was about twice as long as many blue whales, and three times as long as a humpback whale, which usually grow to around 50ft long.
On balance I rather like this inconsistency, as it assumes the target audience (Americans, judging by the use of 'dove') will be familiar with both measurement systems.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/15/like-a-spiral-ufo-worlds-longest-animal-discovered-in-australian-waters

citoyen

« Reply #5612 on: 15 April, 2020, 09:28:26 pm »
...a siphonophore measuring an estimated 150 feet (46 metres)...The research vehicle dove as deep as 4,439 metres, but the siphonophore was only discovered as the vehicle was making its way back to the surface at around 630 metres... The new siphonophore was about twice as long as many blue whales, and three times as long as a humpback whale, which usually grow to around 50ft long.
On balance I rather like this inconsistency, as it assumes the target audience (Americans, judging by the use of 'dove') will be familiar with both measurement systems.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/15/like-a-spiral-ufo-worlds-longest-animal-discovered-in-australian-waters
Depth in metres, length in feet. Nothing inconsistent about that. ;)

« Reply #5613 on: 16 April, 2020, 07:01:15 am »
I can't fathom depths in metres

citoyen

« Reply #5614 on: 16 April, 2020, 11:58:07 am »
Whereas I'm a fully paid-up member of the Metric Depth League.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5615 on: 16 April, 2020, 01:42:40 pm »
I can't fathom depths in metres
Are you a feet on the ground sort of guy?

« Reply #5616 on: 17 April, 2020, 08:48:44 am »
Prodigal sheep returns after seven years in Tasmania
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/apr/16/prickles-the-sheep-home-at-last-after-fleeing-2013-tasmanian-bushfires

Well, not "cringe", but I expected to read that the sheep had gone back to Australia or NZ after sojourning in a far country and wasting substance with riotous living, and to hear what the sheep's older sibling had to say.  Perhaps something like "I've always stayed here on the home pasture, and now you're giving her a ride in your Ute?"

perhaps "After seven years, prodigal sheep returns in Tasmania" ?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5617 on: 17 April, 2020, 05:25:03 pm »

Criticizing the Graun's grammar isn't really fair. It's like criticizing your dog's cooking.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5618 on: 17 April, 2020, 08:05:40 pm »
Prodigal sheep returns after seven years in Tasmania
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/apr/16/prickles-the-sheep-home-at-last-after-fleeing-2013-tasmanian-bushfires

Well, not "cringe", but I expected to read that the sheep had gone back to Australia or NZ after sojourning in a far country and wasting substance with riotous living, and to hear what the sheep's older sibling had to say.  Perhaps something like "I've always stayed here on the home pasture, and now you're giving her a ride in your Ute?"

perhaps "After seven years, prodigal sheep returns in Tasmania" ?
Yes. That was kind of in my mind at the time.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5619 on: 18 April, 2020, 05:52:12 pm »
A local shop informs customers:
WE HAVE HAD TO REDUCE OUR OPENING AND CLOSING HOURS

???
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5620 on: 19 April, 2020, 01:29:27 pm »

???

Daylight saving...   ;D

citoyen

« Reply #5621 on: 19 April, 2020, 02:18:16 pm »

???

This is the punchline to some kind of quantum physics joke, isn't it?

Davef

« Reply #5622 on: 19 April, 2020, 05:43:21 pm »

???
... because our opening time changing every day by 3 hours was confusing people. We have therefore reduced opening hours by 2, and closing hours by 1 and adopted a more traditional 24 hour cycle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #5623 on: 20 April, 2020, 07:33:43 am »
WE HAVE HAD TO REDUCE OUR OPENING AND CLOSING HOURS AND INCREASE OUR CLOSED HOURS

???
There, that's what they wanted to say

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5624 on: 21 April, 2020, 05:41:49 pm »
"On lean focus, seamless experience and seamless experience, we specifically haven't been specific here in terms of the points we want to mention."

A Russian trying to make a speech in public, his English is hesitant – I think we'll forgive him. Besides, he makes me laugh.  :D