Author Topic: Suggest me a vegetable stock cube!  (Read 2108 times)

Suggest me a vegetable stock cube!
« on: 02 October, 2008, 12:47:15 pm »
I'm currently developing an appreciation of cous cous ie I'm trying not to have bread for every lunch.

I've had varying results in the last two weeks (the best being tuna and pine nuts) and have resorted to some Oxo 'italian' cubes, which aren't the best.

So, what's your favourite veg stock cube? It has to be cube, not stock from scatch as it'll be made up at work.

Ta

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Suggest me a vegetable stock cube!
« Reply #1 on: 02 October, 2008, 12:50:39 pm »
Do you have a fridge at work?  If so, I'd recommend the Knorr Touch of Taste range of liquid stocks.  Very handy but should be refrigerated after opening.

Waits for the stock purists to hunt him down for suggesting such a thing...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2 on: 02 October, 2008, 12:52:37 pm »
Yep, fridge is virtually mine as it's only used for milk at the moment.

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 02 October, 2008, 12:59:05 pm »
Not a cube, but I like the vegan Marigold Swiss Vegetable stock.  Not as salty as some and you can add as little or as much as you want.

« Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:01:45 pm »
There's a range of organic ones available form most larger supermarkets, though I can't recall the name.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:08:18 pm »
Not a cube, but I like the vegan Marigold Swiss Vegetable stock.  Not as salty as some and you can add as little or as much as you want.

I like that one.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #6 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:11:25 pm »
If you want cubes, rather than a tub of powder, you can find Kallo organic vegetable stock cubes in supermarkets and smaller shops.  Recommended.

« Reply #7 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:17:26 pm »
If you want cubes, rather than a tub of powder, you can find Kallo organic vegetable stock cubes in supermarkets and smaller shops.  Recommended.

No problem with powder rather than cubes, and you've reminded me we tried the Kallo ones at home a while ago and decided we didn't like them. Ta anyway!

« Reply #8 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:22:29 pm »

I like the idea of less-salty tasting, but the inevitable postage costs means one tub will cost me 8 quid from there, and I have to buy 20 tubs to get free postage! Not sure how I can get hold of a little for a taster. :-\

« Reply #9 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:25:00 pm »
Where are you, Paul? Most health food shops in the UK will sell the Marigold powder.

« Reply #10 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:25:49 pm »
The Marigold stuff comes from almost every health food store I've been in, as well as from the internet.

It's pretty good, as instant stock goes.

« Reply #11 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:36:30 pm »
I'm in Farm Shop central - Dorset. We have a Julian Graves and the other nuts etc shop (name escapes me at the mo) in town. Likely candidates?

« Reply #12 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:38:34 pm »
Yeah, I'm sure they'll have it.

« Reply #13 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:39:20 pm »
Grand. I shall give it a go.

Thanks all :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:43:54 pm »
+1

« Reply #15 on: 03 October, 2008, 09:47:26 am »

Those are the ones I use.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rr

« Reply #16 on: 03 October, 2008, 11:27:06 am »
The Marigold stuff comes from almost every health food store I've been in, as well as from the internet.

It's pretty good, as instant stock goes.

And Sainsburys and Tesco, I buy the reduced salt non-organic version, the organic has yeast extract and dosn't taste as good

goatpebble

« Reply #17 on: 03 October, 2008, 11:14:15 pm »

Those are the ones I use.

Having used the chicken stock cubes, I hoped the vegetable cubes would be as good, but I cannot say I liked them. They taste a bit like Paxo. That might be ok if you are cooking rather meaty tasting things, but the taste is rather overpowering.

Vegetable stock is easy and quick to make. An onion, a couple of carrots, sticks of celery, parsley stalks, a clove of garlic (whole), some peppercorns, and there you go.

If you don't have the time or resources, then the Marigold powder is the most useful. Do be careful however. In a vegetable based risotto, for example, I use water, and a glass of wine, if I do not have stock. An easy stock cube can make everything taste the same, and somewhat salt.

goatpebble

« Reply #18 on: 03 October, 2008, 11:22:37 pm »
You might find this thread interesting.

Pete

« Reply #19 on: 04 October, 2008, 07:36:34 pm »
We too.  If that one's not around the Knorr variety is quite a good alternative.