Author Topic: Drover's Routes and Vale Tracks. 200km, Tewkesbury June 20th  (Read 1930 times)

Drover's Routes and Vale Tracks. 200km, Tewkesbury June 20th
« on: 24 December, 2019, 02:26:45 pm »
A new event for June 2020. As it says on the tin, a mix of drovers route and off-road tracks.

In total nine off-road sections of varying surfaces, all are public rights of way and account for approx 25km of total distance.

Each off-road can be by-passed, but will incur extra distance.

A rolling route, One good climb about halfway around.

Full details http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-201/
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Re: Drover's Routes and Vale Tracks. 200km, Tewkesbury June 20th
« Reply #1 on: 24 December, 2019, 03:18:51 pm »
Sadly i'll be on my way to St. Just for a trip back up country that day.

"A rolling route, One good climb about halfway around." When Mark says this bring rope and crampons!!  :P :P
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #2 on: 24 December, 2019, 09:10:02 pm »
Really like the look of this one  :thumbsup:

So many good events in 2020 I am in danger of attempting a dual RRTY!

« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2022, 10:18:35 am »
Huzzah - I finally found the original thread, and updating for 2022.

https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9398

I am really looking forward to this one. Byways make a long ride really interesting - and 25km of them feels like a goldilocks distance for a 200km. I can't wait to cycle across the Chepstow bridge - that will be a first for me.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 17 June, 2022, 06:39:01 am »
See you there Mr Trundle.
(I'm bringing my commuter beater - looks terrible, but survived Pat Hurts similar event so I should be fine! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2022, 07:47:18 am »
Looks like it's going to be a wet weekend

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

LFCC

« Reply #6 on: 17 June, 2022, 10:54:21 am »
See you there Matt  :thumbsup:

I believe it is impossible to ride in Wales without SOME rain Steve ;D Although I'm hoping we don't get flash floods from the predicted storm clouds!

I'm staying at the wetherspoons tonight as I could not face a 4am start from London. MUST NOT DRINK TOO MUCH BEER THE NIGHT BEFORE...

« Reply #7 on: 19 June, 2022, 11:22:08 am »
I can confirm it was indeed a wee bit damp...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2022, 05:13:16 pm »
That was a fantastic audax - just my type of route. Beautiful Welsh Border lanes with lots of off-road sections to make things interesting.

Piccies and stuff here: https://www.strava.com/activities/7330751706

Wales delivered rain. But not to be outdone, England dropped MUCH more in the evening. The highlight of the drenching was a transit van honking and giving me a thumbs up! Must be an audaxer!

Some of the off-road bits were more like a tough-mudder obstacle course. In fact there was a real sting in the tail with the last 9km taking one hour. Why? Well, consider exhibit A. We had pushed our bikes through shin deep mud and struck out across a field. But this was no ordinary field - it had mud made of superglue. Within three wheel revolutions everything stopped turning. Off I pop and push. One revolution and I'm stuck. Hmm. Let's push harder? Huff-Puff-Heave-groan. Look behind me - and there is a 20 yard deep tramline - caused by pushing my locked wheels. Step back and survey the bike. I can't see where the mud stops and my wheels or mudguards begin! Pick up the bike and walk! My two colleagues had faired slightly better - they had no mudguards, but still ground to a halt as their stays and forks finally succumbed to claggy-mud-cake too.

But it didn't matter - this is exactly what I love. Spending a couple of hours slivering on mud, learning how to let the bike move and be smooooth. Not always successfully I would hasten to add.

So in summary - a fine day out with good company, bikes with wide tyres and the bonhomie of a shared endeavour warming our wet, shivering bodies in Wetherspoons as we recalled the more comical aspects of the ride.

PS. Mark is evil  ;D Those last 9km were mean (but great fun really...)