Author Topic: EasiYo 1kg Yogurt Maker  (Read 1737 times)

EasiYo 1kg Yogurt Maker
« on: 12 February, 2021, 07:37:54 pm »
Hi there

Does anyone use one of these yoghurt makers?  Our DevaBridge yoghurt maker is coming to the end of it's working life and we are looking for an alternative.  The DevaBridge is just an insulated tub with a double lid to keep the yoghurt at a suitable temperature for the bacteria to grow. Can the EaysiYo be used like this?  The instructions call for the maker to be filled with boiling water but also that it has lambswool insulation.  Slightly confused.  A wide mouth thermos can be used but do not lend themselves to spooning out the finished product easily.

We use a yoghurt starter saved from the previous batch, none of this sachet stuff.

Thanks

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: EasiYo 1kg Yogurt Maker
« Reply #1 on: 12 February, 2021, 07:58:23 pm »
If you get a really wide mouthed food thermos it looks basically the same as that Deva thing
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2021, 08:48:55 pm »
You could also use a slow cooker.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2021, 09:51:43 pm »
Hi there

Does anyone use one of these yoghurt makers?  Our DevaBridge yoghurt maker is coming to the end of it's working life and we are looking for an alternative.  The DevaBridge is just an insulated tub with a double lid to keep the yoghurt at a suitable temperature for the bacteria to grow. Can the EaysiYo be used like this?  The instructions call for the maker to be filled with boiling water but also that it has lambswool insulation.  Slightly confused.  A wide mouth thermos can be used but do not lend themselves to spooning out the finished product easily.

We use a yoghurt starter saved from the previous batch, none of this sachet stuff.

Thanks

I have this one https://imagesdescriptif.auchan.net/enriched/3/1/978869/978869_3.pdf no idea why it is unsafe it is just a pdf.

« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2021, 10:31:55 am »
If you get a really wide mouthed food thermos it looks basically the same as that Deva thing

This is what we currently have:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2021, 11:16:54 am »
Yes I got that. I still think any of these things looks similar.
https://www.lionshome.co.uk/accessories-food-jars/wide-mouth-insulated/
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6 on: 13 February, 2021, 11:41:56 am »
The DevaBridge is just an insulated tub with a double lid to keep the yoghurt at a suitable temperature for the bacteria to grow. Can the EaysiYo be used like this?  The instructions call for the maker to be filled with boiling water but also that it has lambswool insulation.  Slightly confused.

I don't know about the DevaBridge but with an EasiYo, you mix the powder into the milk in a lidded plastic jar that then sits in the water bath inside the insulated container.

My wife makes yoghurt this way regularly. Works well. I wasn't aware of what insulating material is used in the container shell but it seems effective.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #7 on: 13 February, 2021, 08:38:46 pm »
 I have used an EasiYo for years.  It is very, very easy.
We make a batch at least twice a week using the easiyo sachets of milk powder and starter.
Mix powder and cold water in inner container, and put inside outer insulated container of hot water.
We make it in the evening, ready by morning
We like it because we eat it fresh while it is still mild. The longer you leave it, the stronger it tastes.
I used to make Yog in a wide-necked flask, using a spoonful of the last batch, but wouldn't go back to that.
We live too far from a supermarket where we could get equivalent quality, so it makes economic sense.
Apart from anything else, it is easier to get the powder delivered than haul milk from the shops.
We get ours from Lakeland - Greek style natural (avoid the low fat version!)

PS. You could probably use the easiyo containers to make yog with milk and a spoon of live yogurt, but it would take a bit of trial and error to get it right.

« Reply #8 on: 14 February, 2021, 03:21:34 pm »
I have two, both from Lakeland, one which is a litre or so , to make greek yoghurt and kefir, and one with 7 small glass pots for individual yoghurts. both plug in and warm the yoghurt.     I bought a starter yoghurt  from  somewhere about 4 years ago and have kept the same batch going since then,so no costs other than a tiny bit of electric and the 1 litre of UHT milk. I just keep one of the small pots as a starter for the next batch and refil it with fresh yoghurt each time.   I also have a small pot of kefir as a starter , which I make in litre quantities for the dog.    I looked at the easiyo  maker  but if you do it the way I do you dont need the sachets, just keep a bit as starter for the next lot.

Making is simple, heat a litre   of UHT milk to 47 degrees,( you can use fresh milk but that needs heating right up then cooling to 47 degrees)   take off the heat, mix in a bit of milk powder, then add starter yoghurt.   either divide into the small jars or just tip into the big maker inner container and leaver for 5 / 6 hours.  then refrigerate.  really easy and would recommend both.  links below

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/71068/Lakeland+7-Cup+Electric+Yogurt+Maker

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/31794/Lakeland-Multi-Yogurt-and-Soft-Cheese-Maker

« Reply #9 on: 14 February, 2021, 04:32:22 pm »
Similar method to ours, just under a litre of semi skimmed brought to the boil and then left to simmer for 14 minutes, a pot watcher helps here, then left to cool to 50 degrees.  It's then put into the insulated container with a desert spoon and a half of the starter yoghurt, either Yeo Valley if starting afresh or the last of the current batch.  I find adding a splash to the starter and stirring then adding the remainder of the cooled milk works best.  Leave with lid(s) on for 5-6 hours or overnight.  Serve and enjoy.  Repeat as necessary.