Author Topic: Mid-Essex North Hill Ascent Count  (Read 31340 times)

Re: Mid-Essex North Hill Ascent Count
« Reply #100 on: 27 January, 2012, 04:06:47 pm »
I think tomorrow shall see me descend and then ascend North Hill. Sometime AM in the morning before noonish or thereabouts.  ::-)

« Reply #101 on: 27 January, 2012, 05:54:20 pm »
I did it in 1:47 (ECCA) and the fastest was 1:44.

Forget my posted times - I clearly fucked up as today I did it using my computer rather than faffing with my phone (why I didn't do that in the first place I don't know!) and I'm closer to 3 minutes!  :-[

I need some serious training. And to be honest, I could do with losing the fags as I was wheezing like Roy Castle on a bad day at the top...

I just nipped out for a couple of ascents - I timed myself over what I think is the hillclimb bit (I guess it's from the bus stop to the memorial hall/) the second time up and took roughly 3:10.  :-[

I'm going to need to get a lot quicker (realistically, I think this means losing a serious slab of lard) If i'm going to enter anything and not be totally embarrassed.  I think The 'мак goes up there faster than I go down.

Oh good - I'm not the only one going slow then!   :)

A slight improvement today though - 2:55  ;D
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #102 on: 27 January, 2012, 05:56:20 pm »
And the timing starts and ends, where? The sign at the bottom and the pub at the top, other?

« Reply #103 on: 27 January, 2012, 06:12:21 pm »
And the timing starts and ends, where? The sign at the bottom and the pub at the top, other?

It starts and ends where I said  :P

I also timed myself over the section that is used for the Chelmer, ECCA and probably other hill climbs. It starts at the bus stop just before the Rodney and finishes at the village memorial, some way before the General's.

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #104 on: 29 January, 2012, 08:20:25 pm »
First ascent of North Hill today for this year, very slow just wanted to make it to the top! Decembers & January's lack of cycling is starting to show, I had done an ascent of Maldon's market hill before........standing all the way in a traffic jam  :facepalm:

Has anyone lost a glove, saw one stuck on a branch on the hill down towards the lock at North Hill, it was black with a silver or white streak in it, looked like a cycling type one hard to tell at Mack 1
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #105 on: 01 February, 2012, 05:16:20 pm »
Nipped out for a sneaky ascent this afternoon.  A few icy patches around.  Managed 2:50 on the time-trial subsection this time around... that's on gears though (broke a spoke on the fixed and still waiting fro my spares to arrive).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

trixie

« Reply #106 on: 01 February, 2012, 06:23:10 pm »
As I am a runner as well as a cyclist, I am going to add another 'machine' to my stats - called 'two feet' - if no one objects...

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #107 on: 01 February, 2012, 06:27:40 pm »
As I am a runner as well as a cyclist, I am going to add another 'machine' to my stats - called 'two feet' - if no one objects...

... I presume it will be down as (fixed, 24" gear) :)

trixie

« Reply #108 on: 01 February, 2012, 06:46:05 pm »
Done  ;)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #109 on: 02 February, 2012, 03:50:05 pm »
One more ascent today on a lovely ride out to try the Blue Egg near Great Bardfield.  On the Marathon Winters this time, so closer to 4 minutes for the hillclimb section ;)

Bumped into honor at the Blue Egg.  Oh, and I also passed Mark Cavendish and Alex Dowsett a mile or so away from the Blue Egg (they were travelling in the opposite direction).

trixie

« Reply #110 on: 02 February, 2012, 04:41:39 pm »
Brrrrrrr.....that was a cold outing.  Famous faces encountered today - Oaky (no.1!), Dow, Cav...this is the place to live be.

One ascent of North Hill, large 'ice puddles' had to be avoided, so really it was extra distance..

« Reply #111 on: 02 February, 2012, 04:44:22 pm »
Those two spend more time in the Blue Egg than they do training!

I saw Cav last Sunday (Riding - not in the BE for once)

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #112 on: 03 February, 2012, 12:19:16 am »
What Category climb would North Hill come under, would it be 5 or maybe 4  ???
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #113 on: 23 February, 2012, 01:52:23 pm »
Having ridden up NH last night it was much easier than riding on the flat against the wind!!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #114 on: 02 March, 2012, 10:33:16 am »
Made an early visit to NH this morning on my cycle commute to my work-from-home office  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #115 on: 02 March, 2012, 10:39:14 am »
I climbed North Hill yesterday. I didn't actually intend to but it just got in the way.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #116 on: 02 March, 2012, 10:41:14 am »
I am hoping to pit my lowest Alfine gear against TMNH tomorrow afternoon. Anyone else around?  Not sure what time I will be out but should know more later today.

« Reply #117 on: 02 March, 2012, 12:09:08 pm »
I am hoping to pit my lowest Alfine gear against TMNH tomorrow afternoon. Anyone else around?  Not sure what time I will be out but should know more later today.

Not tomorrow.... but Sunday morning if anyone is about... must be home for 12noon as going out for lunch ???

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #118 on: 11 March, 2012, 04:58:03 pm »
I managed a quick dash over there this afternoon.  Just the one ascent, but at least it keeps my stats ticking over (which is otherwise difficult, since I'm mostly in the wrong country).

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #119 on: 06 April, 2012, 01:20:43 pm »
I was offered the unexpected opportunity to get out this morning so took it.  A nice loop including Colum Lane (TMNH's western escarpment).  I only saw two of the North Hill pigs as I whizzed past.  I'm sure if I had stopped I would have spotted the other two but I was rushing to meet TCMR for lunch.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #120 on: 08 April, 2012, 08:51:14 pm »
Wednesday night anyone? I'm off this week. Don't mind where, but btw Witham and Chelmsford would be good.

« Reply #121 on: 21 May, 2012, 05:56:00 pm »
I might be ascending TMNH tomorrow!  :o

Here's the plan; meet 40+ at Bringey Pine for 11ses, go on to the Chequers, Felstead, for lunch and then come back via TMNH. On fixed!  :o (cos it's my lightest bike  ::-))

It's been a while but I'm going out and may be some time!  8)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #122 on: 21 May, 2012, 06:16:03 pm »
I climbed TMNH last Thursday after consuming tea and a very fine and glutinous piece of spicy fruit cake.

« Reply #123 on: 21 May, 2012, 06:20:14 pm »
I climbed TMNH last Thursday after consuming tea and a very fine and glutinous piece of spicy fruit cake.
Paper Mill Lock is a 3ses option, if/when I get there, and I should be stopping just after for a photo opportunity at the sign of TMNH!  ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #124 on: 21 May, 2012, 06:32:16 pm »
I was worried that I might miss PML as I was under the misapprehension that it closed at 4 p.m. I arrived around 3.50 to be told they were open until 5.