Author Topic: Mid-Essex North Hill Ascent Count  (Read 31470 times)

Re: Mid-Essex North Hill Ascent Count
« Reply #75 on: 23 January, 2012, 09:29:30 am »
is it pigs with spots or is it pigs seen ???

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #76 on: 23 January, 2012, 12:00:08 pm »
What did I say, OD? And, unless he's been at it all night, that will be without the gallon of MG. I suspect that my record is about to be blown to smithereens - 10 times.  :thumbsup:

I successfully managed my 10, without the aid of MG or any other Essex Energy Drinks.  No Chocolate flapjack was molested in the course of the operation either although I did scoff a handful of winegums after ascents 5 and 9.

I think the gardener working at one of the houses near the bottom was a bit bemused.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #77 on: 23 January, 2012, 01:12:23 pm »
I've done it once as far as I recall.... in around 2006 / 2007 on the Witham Wobble, I think. If it wasn't that it would've been a Wowbagger ride of some flavour.
I hadn't met anyone on the forum at that point - it was my first 'outing' as it were.
I made sure I was the first to leave Papermill Lock, there's no way anyone in front of me was going to see me get off and walk.
And that fitbloke fatbloke was there lookin' like he might be a bit competitive, like......, with a quick lookin' bike an' all...

I successfully managed my 10....

Ten, you say?
*Looks at forecast for the rest of the week.*
* Checks to see what's in the gauntlet cupboard*

« Reply #78 on: 23 January, 2012, 01:19:44 pm »
What did I say, OD? And, unless he's been at it all night, that will be without the gallon of MG. I suspect that my record is about to be blown to smithereens - 10 times.  :thumbsup:

I successfully managed my 10, without the aid of MG or any other Essex Energy Drinks.  No Chocolate flapjack was molested in the course of the operation either although I did scoff a handful of winegums after ascents 5 and 9.

I think the gardener working at one of the houses near the bottom was a bit bemused.

Well done  :thumbsup: keep that up and you'll be entering the ECCA hill climb in Oct  :o

« Reply #79 on: 23 January, 2012, 03:06:31 pm »
Blimey

You lot have been busy since I read this on Friday, especially Oaky. Anyway here's mine FWIW

North Hil Ascents 2012

Steamroller 3

Pigs spotted on Spring Elms Lane = 0 (it's usually dark when I get chance to go up there)
Badger strike = 1  :o ( beware on the fast descent on Spring Elms Lane near the golf / country club place!)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #80 on: 23 January, 2012, 03:09:46 pm »
Badger strike = 1  :o ( beware on the fast descent on Spring Elms Lane near the golf / country club place!)

Excellent. 1 down, several million to go!

I hate badgers.

« Reply #81 on: 23 January, 2012, 03:14:29 pm »
Just the one for me today. I did take a picture though:

I obeyed the sign and reduced my speed  :P

I also timed myself over the section that is used for the Chelmer, ECCA and probably other hill climbs. It starts at the bus stop just before the Rodney and finishes at the village memorial, some way before the General's.

IIRC, a respectable time is around 1:40. I did it in 1:55. I think I could quite easily lose those excess 15 seconds by changing to a geared bike.

Anyway, seeing as everybody seems to have gone North Hill crazy, I think we should all enter the Chelmer hill climb at the end of the season. As far as I'm aware it is open to anyone (need токамак to confirm this).

We can ignore everybody else and see who comes out as best YACFer!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #82 on: 23 January, 2012, 03:40:25 pm »
I will probably ascend North Hill sometime this year, it's just a matter of when. It might be tomorrow! I have posted into the stats thread.
I will not count pigs though because fboab will turn up at some point!  :facepalm:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #83 on: 23 January, 2012, 03:43:16 pm »
bobb - good idea :)  Spookily I very very nearly took the corresponding picture when I was there earlier.

del - are you going to do it on a Pashley?

« Reply #84 on: 23 January, 2012, 04:03:43 pm »
No as the only Pashley I have access to is too small, even with the seat post and steerer fully extended! I have other bikes though.  ;)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #85 on: 23 January, 2012, 04:05:42 pm »
No as the only Pashley I have access to is too small, even with the seat post and steerer fully extended! I have other bikes though.  ;)

I reckon an ascent on a too-small Pashley with a dog in the basket would definitely count double :)

« Reply #86 on: 23 January, 2012, 04:12:37 pm »
I reckon an ascent on a too-small Pashley with a dog in the basket would definitely count double :)
I'd like my knees and my spine to remain where they are!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #87 on: 23 January, 2012, 04:24:34 pm »
Does the dog have to be Indi?

WRT Jurek's one ascent, it was, I believe, the Witham Wobble. I think that this was the occasion that the General's Arms landlord also threw a wobbler and suddenly stopped serving food.

I thought the WW was a damned fine ride. How about a repeat this summer, OD?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #88 on: 23 January, 2012, 04:27:27 pm »
Does it have to be a real dog? What about a plushy dog in a Brompton tourer bag?  :thumbsup:

« Reply #89 on: 23 January, 2012, 04:32:59 pm »
Anyway, seeing as everybody seems to have gone North Hill crazy, I think we should all enter the Chelmer hill climb at the end of the season. As far as I'm aware it is open to anyone (need токамак to confirm this).

We can ignore everybody else and see who comes out as best YACFer!

4th September this year. Open to all, possibly with a small fee - like £3 or something. http://www.chelmercc.org.uk/clubtt.htm

1:55 is a good time - 10 seconds off could be a winning time. :thumbsup:

« Reply #90 on: 23 January, 2012, 05:18:31 pm »
I just rechecked the stop watch on my phone (which I hadn't reset) and realised I'd miscalculated my time! It was 2:05. So I need to find 20 seconds!

Having said that, I seem to remember at the ECCA last season there was only about 5 seconds covering the top ten over two runs! Seeing as 20 seconds or whatever it is I need to make up equates to an awful lot of distance, I will have my work cut out!

« Reply #91 on: 23 January, 2012, 05:48:07 pm »
I did it in 1:47 (ECCA) and the fastest was 1:44.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #92 on: 23 January, 2012, 06:29:57 pm »

WRT Jurek's one ascent, it was, I believe, the Witham Wobble. I think that this was the occasion that the General's Arms landlord also threw a wobbler and suddenly stopped serving food.

It would have been 2006. That's not a bad idea, I could hold one every 6 years. Some thought will be applied.

« Reply #93 on: 23 January, 2012, 09:25:44 pm »

I'd say so  :thumbsup:
The friendly, welcoming bunch I rode with that day is not something I've forgotten, or am likely to.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #94 on: 24 January, 2012, 12:18:29 am »
It should be pointed out that North Hill can be ascended from most points of the compass and there are at least two off-road options I know about.  Given I occassionally relish the role of Agent Provocateur I shall be logging ALL my ascents by whatever means or route so there  :P

"Offical" North Hill route
Ribble Blue - 3

Southern escarpment via Danbury
Ribble Blue - 1

Pigs spotted

Do the pigs have to be spotted or can they be any colour?!?

For the avoidance of doubt I have changed the wording of my entry on the stats thread  :smug:

« Reply #95 on: 24 January, 2012, 08:21:22 am »
For the avoidance of doubt I have changed the wording of my entry on the stats thread  :smug:
Pigs Encountered.  ???
Is that speed dating?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #96 on: 24 January, 2012, 08:31:47 am »
Close Encounters of the Bacon Rind?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #97 on: 24 January, 2012, 08:37:16 am »
If it was speed-dating and he got lucky would they have become pigs in blankets?

« Reply #98 on: 25 January, 2012, 04:13:27 pm »

Forget my posted times - I clearly fucked up as today I did it using my computer rather than faffing with my phone (why I didn't do that in the first place I don't know!) and I'm closer to 3 minutes!  :-[

I need some serious training. And to be honest, I could do with losing the fags as I was wheezing like Roy Castle on a bad day at the top...

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #99 on: 27 January, 2012, 03:53:54 pm »

Forget my posted times - I clearly fucked up as today I did it using my computer rather than faffing with my phone (why I didn't do that in the first place I don't know!) and I'm closer to 3 minutes!  :-[

I need some serious training. And to be honest, I could do with losing the fags as I was wheezing like Roy Castle on a bad day at the top...

I just nipped out for a couple of ascents - I timed myself over what I think is the hillclimb bit (I guess it's from the bus stop to the memorial hall/) the second time up and took roughly 3:10.  :-[

I'm going to need to get a lot quicker (realistically, I think this means losing a serious slab of lard) If i'm going to enter anything and not be totally embarrassed.  I think The 'мак goes up there faster than I go down.