Author Topic: Tomato plants  (Read 3529 times)

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
Tomato plants
« on: 25 April, 2008, 08:19:38 am »
I've cleared a space to grow some tomatoes. Can you still get those grow in a bag type things, it's a concreted dead area near our back door. What time of year do you plant them. I guess I will need something against the wall to attach them as they grow too.

Any tomato advice welcome.

Re: Tomato plants
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2008, 08:22:46 am »
Garden centre.  Growbag. Tomato plants.  Now.  Bits of string hanging down the walls.  Lovely. 

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2008, 08:27:42 am »
Great Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2008, 08:49:14 am »
Or if you have old bike wheels hanging around you can stick those up on the wall & tie the tomatoes to them :)

If you're starting from seed, start the seeds off in some little pots & then transplant them once they've grown a couple of leaves.  But tbh at this time of year I'd suggest buying some plants. 

If when you put them in the growbag you bury the stalk right up to the first set of leaves, then they'll root more strongly - the little hairs on the stalk will turn into roots.

Also, as they get bigger, you'll want to nip out the suckers (these are the extra branches that grow between the stalk and each main branch) to encourage them to get on and fruit, and to grow larger fruit.  In the UK, you want them to fruit ASAP so you get ripe tomatoes quicker rather than winding up with lots of green ones.  Although green tomato chutney is a wondrous thing :)

« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2008, 09:00:53 am »
Moneyspinner are a good yielding variety. I like Plum tomatoes too  :P

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2008, 09:36:27 am »
I'll report back once I have them! Thanks.

« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2008, 09:37:59 am »
Grow some Ailsa Craigs, because they're the best-tasting tomato there is.  Moneyspinners grow lots, but you can buy them at the supermarket.  You'll get a late crop if you plant from seed now, but I think it'd be worth it for a decent variety. 

If you've got growbags, you probably don't need to start them in pots, but if you try any in open ground it's a very good idea.  When they're up to your knees, Tomarite them frequently until the crop falls off. 

Sophie Days.

« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2008, 09:44:14 am »
Don't bother with seeds at this time of year - a packet of seeds is a couple of quid and individual plants are only 85p and you will jump weeks ahead. If they are against the wall, see if you can lean a piece of glass (old glazing unit) or sheet of poly carbonate up against the wall to make a bit of  cold frame.

Other varieties worth growing are the cherry tomatos: Gardener's Delight and Sun Gold.

steveB

« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2008, 09:48:59 am »
I would certainly recommend 'Gardeners Delight' for flavour, they are a cherry sized tomato and do well in growbags.  It doesn't matter too much if you forget to pinch out all the side shoots.

I wouldn't put more than two plants per growbag, although the bags often tell you up to three plants, all the care instructions are usually written on the bag.

Clicky here for Gardeners Delight info

There's no hurry to get the plants outside, you won't rush them.  The middle of May to the beginning couple of weeks of June will be fine.

Fi

« Reply #9 on: 25 April, 2008, 01:26:44 pm »
I've been given some "vine tomato" plants, what's the difference between them and the ordinary kind>  Do I need to put up some netting or string for them to grow up?  And they will have to go outdoors soon.

steveB

« Reply #10 on: 25 April, 2008, 03:29:59 pm »
I've been given some "vine tomato" plants, what's the difference between them and the ordinary kind>  Do I need to put up some netting or string for them to grow up?  And they will have to go outdoors soon.

Maybe someone can correct me on this, but I assumed all tomatoes that weren't bush or ground were vine tomatoes.

Anyway Fi, put them in a sheltered position where they will get plenty of sun and tie them to something like a secured cane as they grow, pinch out the side shoots and leave three or four trusses to mature.

If they are to be grown outside it's unlikely that more than three or four trusses will be required.  It's still very early to put toms out, hang on to them in the warm for a while.

Fi

« Reply #11 on: 25 April, 2008, 03:40:50 pm »
Thanks Steve.