Linked Events

• Mildenhall non-rally: 24 August, 2019 - 25 August, 2019

Author Topic: Mildenhall Cycling Festival 2019  (Read 6600 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Mildenhall Cycling Festival 2019
« Reply #25 on: 06 April, 2019, 12:49:29 pm »
Of possible interest to Mildenhall-bound persons from eg Mordor and WoE, starting in May there will be a direct train from Bristol via Birmingham and Leicester to Cambridge (and on to Stansted Airport). The amount of interest is likely to be limited as it's slow (5 hours from Bristol compared to 3 via London) and run by Cross Country, therefore stupidly expensive (anytime return £257 v £98.50 via London) but maybe it will make a bit of sense from the Wet or Eat Midlands.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 06 April, 2019, 01:36:07 pm »
Of possible interest to Mildenhall-bound persons from eg Mordor and WoE, starting in May there will be a direct train from Bristol via Birmingham and Leicester to Cambridge (and on to Stansted Airport). The amount of interest is likely to be limited as it's slow (5 hours from Bristol compared to 3 via London) and run by Cross Country, therefore stupidly expensive (anytime return £257 v £98.50 via London) but maybe it will make a bit of sense from the Wet or Eat Midlands.

That sounds suspiciously like they've discovered a way to make the infamous Mordor-Stansted train even more crowded...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #27 on: 06 April, 2019, 01:58:18 pm »
It's an additional train, which, judging by every train I've ever taken between Mordor and BTM, will be crowded on arrival at Mordor. I can't see anyone from this end staying on it beyond Leicester cos, as mentioned, other ways are both cheaper and quicker.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 06 April, 2019, 02:07:08 pm »
Is it additional on the SSD-BHM leg (which I thought was at capacity), or have they just extended it down to BTM to provide more trains between BTM and BHM (which is no bad thing, but doesn't do much for the Eat Midlands)?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #29 on: 06 April, 2019, 02:13:55 pm »
AIUI it's a whole new service. It's early in the morning though – leaves BRI 0630 or thereabouts. Just one more reason I'm unlikely to be on it (unless I get back into audaxing and ride the Cheltenham Flyer again)!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #30 on: 06 April, 2019, 02:23:04 pm »
Actually I've just looked at my source again and I think I've misinterpreted: I reckon it's currently a service from Gloucester-BHM-LEI-SSD and it's going to be started back from BRI cos they'll be stabling (quaint term!) the train there overnight. So yeah, just even more crowding for Midlanders. But on the good side it's a DMU (a "Turbostar", which is probably nowhere near as space age as it sounds), so bike space should be corridor or flippy seats rather than danglies.

Edit: Confirmed this is the case. It's only new south of Gloucester. So not really of any interest to anyone north of there.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #31 on: 26 August, 2019, 05:30:52 pm »
We went over on Saturday lunchtime as we'd booked into the travelodge for 2 nights.
The carparking was on the field that is usually the lightweight campers behind the village hall. There was 3 rows of cars there when we arrived.
They were serving coffee and cake in the hall as usual but the place was empty, we got coffee and cake and wandered over to the racing.
Compared to other years, it was very quiet. Just families whose kids were racing were there.
There was nothing else on site  :(
Mildenhall itself looked empty, the only other bike we saw was Graham Lawrence's at the cafe.
He said the site by the airfield had only 3 other tents in also.
Hope this is not the last we see of the rally, would be a shame to lose it.
I can see how it's come to this though as like a lot of clubs, no one wants to do committee work to help out.

« Reply #32 on: 26 August, 2019, 07:12:36 pm »
That is so sad to hear.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 26 August, 2019, 10:46:10 pm »
If it does get rebooted (which probably comes down to some locals being willing to step up), we should make extra effort to attend.

Same goes for York, tbh, though it was looking a bit healthier this year.

« Reply #34 on: 27 August, 2019, 11:53:53 am »
I feel for the rally and do hope others come forward to resurrect it. But sadly after talking to past organisers I think it could be the end as we know it.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home