Author Topic: The Dean  (Read 100984 times)

Re: The Dean
« Reply #325 on: 24 February, 2019, 08:13:01 am »
I did it 2013-15, then had a three year gap, and down for it this year (+ECE), first time under the new ownership.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #326 on: 26 February, 2019, 07:55:05 am »
I’m in, it’ll be my 4th time I think, though not since 2015  :thumbsup:

« Reply #327 on: 03 March, 2019, 09:24:50 pm »
Route check completed yesterday in somewhat blustery conditions. The all new track is available to download here and route sheet / notes here. They'll also be on the event entry page in due course, but the links here should allow you to re-format / edit them if required. Note that the only changes to the route are after Stanford in the Vale from around 278km.

Ran into the Severn Bridge northerly cycle path closure as noted elsewhere, but it's a relatively easy diversion via the southerly alternative and expecting it will be open in two weeks time.

Also note that the recommended route brings you in through the centre of Oxford to appreciate all its late night charm, but if you are returning direct to Peartree it's possible to shortcut the route a bit from Eynsham, picking up the cycle path adjoining the A40.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

SPB

« Reply #328 on: 03 March, 2019, 10:08:58 pm »
 :thumbsup:  Downloading now

« Reply #329 on: 07 March, 2019, 03:44:10 pm »

Also note that the recommended route brings you in through the centre of Oxford to appreciate all its late night charm, but if you are returning direct to Peartree it's possible to shortcut the route a bit from Eynsham, picking up the cycle path adjoining the A40.

I'll probably go with this option. Is someone with local knowledge able to advise:

a) Are there cycle paths alongside both sides of the A40?
b) If so is either one a preferrable option?

Thanks

« Reply #330 on: 07 March, 2019, 07:17:45 pm »
There are, they're pretty similar both sides as far as I recall. I'd stick to riding with flow (i.e. the north side).

« Reply #331 on: 07 March, 2019, 07:40:12 pm »
Finishing via Cassington and Yarnton is 600m further and avoids riding along the A40.

« Reply #332 on: 07 March, 2019, 08:49:15 pm »
How much cash for peartree carpark? £2?

« Reply #333 on: 07 March, 2019, 09:30:51 pm »
1-11 hours: £2.00
11-24 hours: £4.00

« Reply #334 on: 07 March, 2019, 09:42:30 pm »
An 11 hour 300km.... let me check my last Dean ride....

« Reply #335 on: 07 March, 2019, 11:29:53 pm »
Note that the only changes to the route are after Stanford in the Vale from around 278km.

I have a question, and forgive me if this has been covered hitherto - but why is there now an info control in Bampton, other than making the ride a bit longer?
As a full value 'can I get round in time' rider......I see this, on face value, as an inconvenient unnecessary addition to a route that, at 303km, seemed perfectly ok as it was?
[And I do appreciate what folk do to keep these things going......but curiosity gets the better of me!]

Garry Broad

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #336 on: 08 March, 2019, 12:02:51 am »
<OHO>
Dotting the I's & crossing the T's...
</OHO>
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #337 on: 08 March, 2019, 09:34:20 am »
An 11 hour 300km.... let me check my last Dean ride....

Don't forget 10 minutes before the start and 10 minutes after the finish for picking brevet card up and obtaining proof of passage at the services

Eddington  127miles, 170km

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #338 on: 08 March, 2019, 09:35:36 am »
Finishing via Cassington and Yarnton is 600m further and avoids riding along the A40.
This sounds like a good plan to me. Despite being local, I'd never ridden along that stretch of A40 until the Wimbledon 400 (I think??) sent us along there last year (also from Bampton!). It was "OK", but really no fun in the dark.

(Of course the pre-2019 Dean had an info further south, and you could enter Oxford from the more scenic SW, with optional town-centre tour. Ah the old days ... why do things have to change? mmm? ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #339 on: 08 March, 2019, 10:19:43 am »
I have a question, and forgive me if this has been covered hitherto - but why is there now an info control in Bampton, other than making the ride a bit longer?
As a full value 'can I get round in time' rider......I see this, on face value, as an inconvenient unnecessary addition to a route that, at 303km, seemed perfectly ok as it was?
[And I do appreciate what folk do to keep these things going......but curiosity gets the better of me!]

It might have been 303km on the routesheet, but the minimum distance between control towns was significantly less (https://goo.gl/maps/CisxMeQMnAT2), and as a advisory route event in a PBP qualifying year it was felt that it needed to be addressed.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #340 on: 08 March, 2019, 11:07:43 am »

I'll probably go with this option. Is someone with local knowledge able to advise:

a) Are there cycle paths alongside both sides of the A40?
b) If so is either one a preferrable option?

Thanks

That's my regular commute...there's a good cycle path both sides of the A40, I'd go with the North side as you are less likely to be dazzled by car headlights.

« Reply #341 on: 08 March, 2019, 04:44:02 pm »

It might have been 303km on the routesheet, but the minimum distance between control towns was significantly less (https://goo.gl/maps/CisxMeQMnAT2), and as a advisory route event in a PBP qualifying year it was felt that it needed to be addressed.

okey-dokey, thanks
Garry Broad

« Reply #342 on: 11 March, 2019, 02:22:19 am »

Thanks for this & also other responses on the shorter route back to Pear Tree Services.

The A40 cycle path looks OK on google maps, but there are some suggestions it's not such a good route at night?

Via Yarnton looks a sensible option, but does involve a short ride down the A44. I remember this as a busy road when I lived in Kidlington, but I didn't cycle then & would mainly have seen it at rush hour, I presume it's okay later on a Saturday night?

« Reply #343 on: 11 March, 2019, 06:58:01 am »
I have ridden down it a couple of times at the end of the clockwise version of the Poor Student and I don't remember it being too bad.  That would have been at 1800ish.  You obviously have to be cautious on the roundabouts.

Another option is to go to Stow via Bampton if it is the 'right' sort of info control  ;)

« Reply #344 on: 12 March, 2019, 09:16:43 am »
Everywhere I look seem to indicate that we are getting 40mph headwind till midday? Am I correct?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #345 on: 12 March, 2019, 09:24:06 am »
Everywhere I look seem to indicate that we are getting 40mph headwind till midday? Am I correct?
The Norweigans are saying even stronger after midday (still SWerly) - which would be ideal if it happens!

But Saturday is a long way away ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

The Dean
« Reply #346 on: 13 March, 2019, 04:18:10 pm »
Super wet and stupidly windy. I may be DNS for this. I can do one or the other but not both. Sunday’s 200km looks much more benign. Gonna rock up and see what’s what.

« Reply #347 on: 13 March, 2019, 05:26:26 pm »

Wise words. I am still smarting from a ride I DNS'd last year because, on the strength of the weather forecast, I went for a small sherry on the Friday night - only to wake with a hangover to the perfect audaxing day

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #348 on: 13 March, 2019, 07:29:38 pm »
The Norweigans are saying even stronger after midday (still SWerly) - which would be ideal if it happens!

A southwesterly is best after 18.00 as chepstow to Marlborough is a southeast section so southwesterly wind will be a cross wind. But a strong southwesterly on the climb from lambourne woukd be awesome.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #349 on: 15 March, 2019, 04:09:44 pm »
Thinking I might play it safe and DNS