Author Topic: The Dean  (Read 101992 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: The Dean
« Reply #425 on: 15 February, 2020, 09:57:18 pm »
Not too bad on fixed... it's not the climbing it's the gradient... Just one toughie, the climb up towards the Somerset monument... I've never made it... but it's relatively short. It's a great ride, just do it.

« Reply #426 on: 15 February, 2020, 10:02:22 pm »
Not too bad on fixed... it's not the climbing it's the gradient... Just one toughie, the climb up towards the Somerset monument... I've never made it... but it's relatively short. It's a great ride, just do it.
Not the climbing the gradient, are you saying all of the climbs are steep, is the climb up to the monument the steepest climb ?

« Reply #427 on: 15 February, 2020, 11:03:10 pm »
As Manotea says, the only steep bits are up to the monument, and then the 2 hills at Broad Town and Broad Hinton (but also fairly short); As well as Somerset Monument I also walk Hackpen Hill after Broad Hinton. Most of the rest of the hills are relatively gradual - all the Forest of Dean hills are 6-8% (apart from the very short bit just after Bream), and the same out to Stow through the Cotswolds.

« Reply #428 on: 15 February, 2020, 11:16:36 pm »
As Manotea says, the only steep bits are up to the monument, and then the 2 hills at Broad Town and Broad Hinton (but also fairly short); As well as Somerset Monument I also walk Hackpen Hill after Broad Hinton. Most of the rest of the hills are relatively gradual - all the Forest of Dean hills are 6-8% (apart from the very short bit just after Bream), and the same out to Stow through the Cotswolds.
What gear did you use ? i am think of 69inch ?

simonp

« Reply #429 on: 16 February, 2020, 12:35:13 am »

I have walked that on gears and got up it on fixed.

simonp

« Reply #430 on: 16 February, 2020, 12:35:52 am »
I’ve always used 65”.

Manotea

« Reply #431 on: 16 February, 2020, 08:54:01 am »
I almost made the monument climb once but had to stop when s car came down, thank the lord. :)

But I'd forgotten about broad town and broad Hinton, bream, St Bravils, Stowe... Time is a great healer... All doable... Though not necessarily all in one go.

« Reply #432 on: 16 February, 2020, 08:57:14 am »
There’s also the weather factor. Grinding into a strong headwind (as is typical for the first half) on your first fixed 300 km doesn’t sound like fun to me.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #433 on: 16 February, 2020, 09:04:28 am »
There’s also the weather factor. Grinding into a strong headwind (as is typical for the first half) on your first fixed 300 km doesn’t sound like fun to me.
I've done this ride 3 times, only one once did I notice a headwind in the first half (2019, great prep for windy PBP) 2016 was cold and 2017 was mild. 2018 I didn't ride. It snowed a lot.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #434 on: 16 February, 2020, 09:07:28 am »
Ive got a bit of the fixed bug, I've done a couple of lumpyish 200,s on fixed this year, apart from a snapped chain all went ok, has anyone ridded this event of fixed or is it a step to far for a relatively fixed novice. ??
I followed someone riding fixed the first time I did this. He nearly managed the Somerset monument hill, walked about fifty metres as I recall.

It's not just the climbs though there are some descents that will have your legs spinning

Manotea

« Reply #435 on: 16 February, 2020, 09:13:17 am »
Yeah, the descent into Chepstow for sure... and if you're with a bunch at Membury, best to set off five minutes early otherwise you'll be dropped within ten minutes on the descent into Lambourn...

« Reply #436 on: 16 February, 2020, 09:16:51 am »
What gear did you use ? i am think of 69inch ?

« Reply #437 on: 16 February, 2020, 10:12:15 am »
Ive got a bit of the fixed bug, I've done a couple of lumpyish 200,s on fixed this year, apart from a snapped chain all went ok, has anyone ridded this event of fixed or is it a step to far for a relatively fixed novice. ??
I followed someone riding fixed the first time I did this. He nearly managed the Somerset monument hill, walked about fifty metres as I recall.

It's not just the climbs though there are some descents that will have your legs spinning
Is the Monument hill on the way back on the LWL ride ?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #438 on: 16 February, 2020, 10:33:08 am »
rode the dean on 69" single speed (six years ago), all the hills were rideable, iirc three of them felt hard - the hill into bream, white horse hill(s) and the monument.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #439 on: 16 February, 2020, 12:11:10 pm »
It used to be - assuming both rides still control at Malmesbury?
Happily it comes after a fairly benign section.

(little bit of history - back in the day I happened to meet the people who devised each route, and they found the leg back from Chepstow independently! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

S2L

« Reply #440 on: 16 February, 2020, 12:28:20 pm »

yes

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #441 on: 16 February, 2020, 08:04:47 pm »
It used to be - assuming both rides still control at Malmesbury?
Happily it comes after a fairly benign section.

(little bit of history - back in the day I happened to meet the people who devised each route, and they found the leg back from Chepstow independently! )
Both take different routes from chepstow to malmesbury. Even more different after malmesbury as the dean crosses the ridgeway twice with a trip to Marlborough.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #442 on: 17 February, 2020, 07:21:06 am »
Both take different routes
What, BOTH of them do? wow.

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

S2L

« Reply #443 on: 20 February, 2020, 04:36:43 pm »
How's everyone feeling about this?
I managed to do some good miles in December, but lately, with storms and deluges haven't been able to go out very much... last long ride was 180 km in late December, then nothing longer than 100 since... I feel a bit unprepared for a 300...

Oh well, 3 weeks to go, things might still turn... ::-)

simonp

« Reply #444 on: 20 February, 2020, 04:41:43 pm »
I'm feeling like a DNS for me would be the only sensible option. I have had two months almost entirely off training due to illness. I'm planning to get on the turbo this evening.

« Reply #445 on: 20 February, 2020, 08:37:33 pm »
I'm wondering about the chances of the flood waters receding, and if not, what diversion may be required.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #446 on: 20 February, 2020, 09:24:05 pm »
I'm wondering about the chances of the flood waters receding, and if not, what diversion may be required.
Still 3 weeks away, plenty of time for water to recede.  As long as it stops raining.

simonp

« Reply #447 on: 20 February, 2020, 10:30:30 pm »
Still 3 weeks away, plenty of time for water to recede.  As long as it stops raining.

At least a week more according to the forecast I saw yesterday, and then the jet stream looks like cycling again for another burst.

S2L

« Reply #448 on: 21 February, 2020, 09:08:59 am »
Weatherwise, I am also limited... small car*, the bike only fits without mudguards... fitting the guards takes 10 minutes at home, but it's a nightmare to do in the dark in a car park, so I can only really ride this with a benign forecast.

* Yes, I have heard of such things like trains, but none would get me to Oxford in time for the start and I am not going to pay money for overnight accomodation before AND after

« Reply #449 on: 21 February, 2020, 11:56:03 am »

[/quote]
Both take different routes from chepstow to malmesbury. Even more different after malmesbury as the dean crosses the ridgeway twice with a trip to Marlborough.
[/quote]

The suggested routes from Chepstow to Malmesbury are pretty similar as there are not really that many ways to cover the ground. It's after that they diverge and only come together again around Lambourn before The Dean makes a bee line for Oxford and LWL works its way up to Henley.