Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3883088 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #125 on: 13 April, 2008, 08:04:31 pm »

Anyone fancy riding this one, or a variant of it in the summer?

I would be. depending on date being available

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #126 on: 13 April, 2008, 08:06:12 pm »
40 miles with The Lad on the Tandem on a Tandem Club run. (Mrs. Hall saw the weather forecast and opted for her scratcher).  Start and finish at Shoreham, lunch at Littleworth, tea outside a beach hut, train home.

Lunchtime conversation included Mark and Liz saying they'd met a chap in a pub who'd broken two Rolhoffs on his tandem.  Further questioning found that he looked like Father Christmas. 

Wowbagger, j'accuse.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #127 on: 13 April, 2008, 08:23:56 pm »
Frenchie, MSeries, Aidan
Thanks for the expressions of interest in the Nottingham ride, I will have a play on Bikely, plot a route, then start a new thread for it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #128 on: 13 April, 2008, 08:25:04 pm »
40 miles with The Lad on the Tandem on a Tandem Club run. (Mrs. Hall saw the weather forecast and opted for her scratcher).  Start and finish at Shoreham, lunch at Littleworth, tea outside a beach hut, train home.

Lunchtime conversation included Mark and Liz saying they'd met a chap in a pub who'd broken two Rolhoffs on his tandem.  Further questioning found that he looked like Father Christmas. 

Wowbagger, j'accuse.

Me?

In a pub?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #129 on: 13 April, 2008, 08:25:53 pm »

Wowbagger, j'accuse.

Me?

In a pub?

Santa should ride with deers; 'tis well known!!  ::-)
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #130 on: 13 April, 2008, 10:27:32 pm »
Well, today I went out on my Claud Butler fixed, up the A68 from Darlington, lots of little climbs around here...  I felt quite strong, so I thought I'd go up Harthope Head - reputedly the joint highest road in England.  I've not been up here on fixed before, funnily enough...

A-roads all the way, then from the village of St John's Chapel in Weardale it's a two and a half mile climb to the top.  I did nearly all of it (on a 68" gear) until I had to walk the last couple of hundred yards.  At that point I was pedalling scarcely quicker than walking pace anyway  ::-)

At the top it was clear and sparkling - a hail shower had just passed, and the road glittered.  The views are special - to the west Cross Fell was still covered in snow, and a thick cloud was obscuring its flank, to the south lay the grand panorama of Teesdale, where the river flows out of Cow Green Reservoir and curves around craggy Cronkley Scar, with snow-speckled Mickle Fell behind it.

Then there was the drop down the pass - that was interesting.  I overtook a car, and then had to stop because my right hand was beginning to cramp (must fit a rear brake...).  I rode the brake all the way down until the last dip before the Langdon Beck, when the road rises again.  There, I let it go and span the cranks like a good un  ;D

And I saw about half a dozen ring ouzels - spring must be here!

It was my longest ride of the year - about 80 miles.  Absolutely fabulous.

« Reply #131 on: 13 April, 2008, 11:13:59 pm »
After faffing around with other stuff all day I managed to get a ride in this evening, from Aldershot out to Farnham, then to Elstead and back home via a long stretch of completely deserted country lane, making 17.5 miles in total.

It was the first time I've ridden my new Dawes Horizon without some kind of luggage, and I averaged just over 15 mph which is a first for me (when I've been counting anyway).  :)

Rapples

« Reply #132 on: 13 April, 2008, 11:20:25 pm »
Wnt on the club run today, just over 60 miles.  Oh how I laughed as the hail and rain came down :(

All in it was a lovely day, but for 15 mins of hell

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #133 on: 14 April, 2008, 08:31:01 am »
A long, slow windy outward ride into the Vale of Glamorgan, getting soaked 15 mins into the ride, followed with short, fast return. 50 miles in all! Longest ride in ages.
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

« Reply #134 on: 14 April, 2008, 11:13:41 am »
I didn't get out all weekend on account of being too zonked from hen night stuff.

Nice commute this morning though. Cycled behind a bloke with a Scottie dog in his rear basket for some of it, it was very well behaved.  I wouldn't trust my dog to do that!

annie

« Reply #135 on: 14 April, 2008, 12:07:54 pm »
Yes finally.  It wasn't that easy or pleasant.  I only managed 14 miles.  Well at mile 7 I thought I was going to be sick or pass out but stopped for a drink and contemplated carrying on, my sensible head on I realised I should turn around and head for home, which I did.  By mile 10 I was starting to feel a little more relaxed as an articulated lorry cut me up.  My average wasn't great at 13.5mph but it was better than I had hoped for given my recent illness.  I feel pretty pathetic.  I had a moment when my foot slipped on the new pedals and I landed on the saddle with rather more force than was  fair for a lady.  Will I be able to ride 70 miles this weekend, I don't think so.

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #136 on: 14 April, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »
Annie

Don't you listen to anyone ??

TAKE IT EASY untill you are fully recovered.  The you can start doing these silly long distance rides again.

PS , missed you yesterday, had to make my own Marmite Sarnies, not the same  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

annie

« Reply #137 on: 14 April, 2008, 12:53:22 pm »
Annie

Don't you listen to anyone ??

TAKE IT EASY untill you are fully recovered.  The you can start doing these silly long distance rides again.

PS , missed you yesterday, had to make my own Marmite Sarnies, not the same  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am listening, I know I should have stayed at home but I didn't.  One day at a time.

I can't believe anyone missed my silliness but thank you.  Well done by the way :thumbsup:

« Reply #138 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:22:12 pm »
Well done, Annie!  Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Just put a new (sprung) stoker saddle on the tandem, and a superior front brake.  It's ready for the road again.  I just need several weeks' notice to organise work and stuff to make way for a ride sometime.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #139 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:25:30 pm »
Aye. Commute in this morning, lovely if a bit frosty in places, and just back in from a short lunchtime social (Cirencester, Sapperton, Daglingworth & back). Route nice, weather not so pleasant,  the occasional hailstone here and there.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

annie

« Reply #140 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:35:34 pm »
Well done, Annie!  Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Just put a new (sprung) stoker saddle on the tandem, and a superior front brake.  It's ready for the road again.  I just need several weeks' notice to organise work and stuff to make way for a ride sometime.

Is that saddle my size?

« Reply #141 on: 14 April, 2008, 02:16:41 pm »
It's similar to one of these, just black and not specially aged.  It's also not, I must point out, specifically for aged ladies... that wouldn't be at all appropriate... just a nice comfy sprung Brooks saddle!  But like last time, you could swap for your own, but that still didn't solve every problem, did it? :)

mike morley

« Reply #142 on: 14 April, 2008, 03:13:28 pm »
Yes finally.  It wasn't that easy or pleasant.  I only managed 14 miles.  Well at mile 7 I thought I was going to be sick or pass out but stopped for a drink and contemplated carrying on, my sensible head on I realised I should turn around and head for home, which I did.  By mile 10 I was starting to feel a little more relaxed as an articulated lorry cut me up.  My average wasn't great at 13.5mph but it was better than I had hoped for given my recent illness.  I feel pretty pathetic.  I had a moment when my foot slipped on the new pedals and I landed on the saddle with rather more force than was  fair for a lady.  Will I be able to ride 70 miles this weekend, I don't think so.
Annie, glad to see you have surfaced again on your bike. I would just like to reinforce the advice from Clark Gable (RogerT) that you take it easy. I did 123mls last week. Still considering if I should ride L3 first FNttC Southend but forecast not good for a FWC like me.
 :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #143 on: 15 April, 2008, 09:32:54 am »
An absolutely gorgeous 16 miles - the usual ones - but not the usual ones if you get my drift. There was little wind, a beautiful crispness in the air as the frost lifted, not a cloud in the sky. I cranked the Thorn up to 34 mph on the descent to the sea front. The tide was in, the birds were singing, the rape was in flower and I had a good look at a green woodpecker. On the busy stretch a Morris Minor got stuck behind me for half a mile or so and didn't have the power to overtake in the short gaps that were available, so I led a rather impatient procession back into Southend. Then I had breakfast! :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #144 on: 15 April, 2008, 11:32:28 am »
Just done 37 km on my steamroller  :D :D

Oh the fun and joy riding a fixed, it feels like starting all over learning
to ride again, but then after the first couple of km it was smooth riding.

:D :D :D :D

G

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #145 on: 15 April, 2008, 11:35:52 am »
It's officially a bit nippy to be out in a tri suit.  Brrr!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

annie

« Reply #146 on: 15 April, 2008, 04:23:47 pm »

Mmmmm tri suits.  I am not sure I would dare to ride out on mine, I have worn it in the gym and it is so very comfortable.  I think it may cause an accident out on the road or whilst running.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #147 on: 15 April, 2008, 05:37:21 pm »
Out to the Post Office on the fixie to send a parcel.

May as well keep going.  Just pottered off.  Good fun in the sunshine :)
Getting there...

mike morley

« Reply #148 on: 15 April, 2008, 07:28:43 pm »

Mmmmm tri suits.  I am not sure I would dare to ride out on mine, I have worn it in the gym and it is so very comfortable.  I think it may cause an accident out on the road or whilst running.
Don't worry Annie what ever you feel comfortable in. 39mls 2day part offroad on touring bike but mainly in the Surrey Hills. Went out with Bob brother of Brian who has just had his second hip (right) replaced 4 weeks ago and he is doing fine. He is more manure than me (i.e. older) and is a credit to our cycling fraternity whatever our bias and is aiming to go on the CTC ride to Ethiopia in October. His first hip op (left) was on 17 Dec 2007. What a man.

« Reply #149 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:37:54 pm »
Just got back from Richmond Park.

Some teenagers did that 'pretending to jump in front of you' thing on the way there so I'm afraid I called them a rude word which they thought was very funny.

And I got wet on the way back so I'm currently bundled in my dressing gown.

But I think Sawyer's Hill is getting a tiny bit easier. Or maybe it's just my new ergo bar ends helping out.

There was an intermittent squeaking coming from either the pedals or the BB which was slightly worrying...couldn't figure out where it was coming from.