Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2451462 times)

corshamjim

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #4900 on: 15 November, 2011, 09:56:02 pm »
...  and fit a dynohub* ...

Rose sell dozens of bike with dynohubs already fitted!  :facepalm:

Couldn't you have bought this one?

;D

« Reply #4901 on: 17 November, 2011, 05:06:32 pm »

;D

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #4902 on: 17 November, 2011, 06:43:24 pm »

;D

chain looks a bit er.. slack. has it fallen off?

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #4903 on: 17 November, 2011, 08:41:21 pm »
That looks great, my son has the Scoot version (ridgeback?) but has never been interested in it.  We were just discussing what to ask for it, and put the cash toward a tag along, or whether to persevere?  Is that one used by a little'un?

« Reply #4904 on: 17 November, 2011, 08:44:45 pm »
My Dawes Audax photographed today at Blaise Castle

« Reply #4905 on: 17 November, 2011, 09:25:38 pm »
Right, stable rebalancing continues but here we have the first complete off the production line, Ti/Rohloff 29er:-

Burls 29er 5 by MacBludgeon, on Flickr
Nuns, no sense of humour

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4906 on: 17 November, 2011, 09:53:25 pm »
Right, stable rebalancing continues but here we have the first complete off the production line, Ti/Rohloff 29er:-

L

That is very nice indeed! Not sure about the saddle but I'm jealous nonetheless.  How does it ride?  What's the fork?

« Reply #4907 on: 17 November, 2011, 10:07:03 pm »
Jury is still out on the saddle, have a Brooks as a backup, forks are the On-One Rigid Carbon 29er ones. It's not done many miles yet and none tough enough to give it a real work out, I was holding back until I had it complete, so this weekend will give it a good test. Though tweaking will be involved as it's a new seatpost and that saddle is a pain to get in the right position.

On the road and gentle trail type riding it has done then I've found it to be very stable, what one might describe as solidly planted. It's what I was aiming for and would probably garner a review along the lines of:-

doesn't do anything spectacularly but does everything well and provides a predictable and reliable ride

Or my own personal description of what I wanted when I was designing it - I want something towards the comfy end of the MTB spectrum, in road parlance something closer to a tourer than a race bike.
Nuns, no sense of humour

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4908 on: 17 November, 2011, 10:37:39 pm »
Excess All Areas!  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #4909 on: 17 November, 2011, 11:03:51 pm »
That looks great, my son has the Scoot version (ridgeback?) but has never been interested in it.  We were just discussing what to ask for it, and put the cash toward a tag along, or whether to persevere?  Is that one used by a little'un?

It's a christmas present for a nearly 2 year old, so it remains to be seen if he's interested in it.  They seem to go for 75% of the new price on Ebay so it's wrth selling if it's getting no use.

Shame you missed this:

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=52965.0

;)

Very nice!  What are you going to use it for?  It looks like a bike that could be good at most things.

« Reply #4910 on: 21 November, 2011, 04:20:52 pm »

A bit of history to this one - A Dave Yates audax frame originally made for another member of this forum and acquired by me in 2009, I converted it to a fixed wheel winter training bike which saw me through two seasons of club rides. I decided that for 2011 it could do with a few renovations and upgrades, so I took it to a local guy with the skill and experience to put in track ends (he's a frame builder, but not by profession), and then have it powder coated. We knew the thread in the bottom bracket shell was a bit suspect and it was decided to also replace the shell. After being shot blasted in preparation for powder coating it was discovered that the top tube was suffering from rust holes on the underside, and there was not much to do other than replace it. Perhaps fortunately the local guy had a stock of 531ST tubes for the job.

I received the frame back on Friday evening and spent Saturday afternoon / evening putting it all together.  I pressed in a 1" threadless headset and fitted a new carbon fork. A shim is used on the 1" steerer to take a 1 1/8" A-head stem with oversize handlebar. The seatpost is also carbon. The guards are new D Salmon anodised aluminium ones from France. I've reused an Andel crankset with a new 46T TA Specialities chainring. The wheels are Mavic Open Pro on Ambrosio Zenith hubs (36 hole), which I serviced with new cartridge bearings. Currently running a 19T steel sprocket on the back to give me something like a 64" gear. The chain is a standard Izumi track chain - gold for a touch of bling.

I took it out on yesterdays club run, 70 miles, absolutely brilliant. :smug:

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4911 on: 21 November, 2011, 04:40:27 pm »
That looks lovely - especially the super bling chain!

Do those style of mudguards offer much protection?  I like them a lot, but wondered if they actually perform at all?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #4912 on: 21 November, 2011, 04:43:17 pm »
Chain just looks yellow to me  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #4913 on: 21 November, 2011, 04:46:26 pm »
Very nice!  What are you going to use it for?  It looks like a bike that could be good at most things.

You see now I should know the answer to that but I'm still quite new to offroading so I built this with versatility in mind. At present my preference is for nothing too challenging and longer multi surface riding, sort of rough stuff touring, but a bit rougher and without the luggage, don't worry though it has full rack and guard fittings  ;D I've also had a shot on it with 700x40 Marathon Supremes on the road and it's well capable of doing commuting duties or acting as a backup road use bike.

If I get more adventurous I may need to consider suspension forks, if I get into serious MTBing that requires more than that, unlikely knowing my aversion to risk, then I'd just get another bike for that purpose and keep this as an allrounder.

If I'm really honest it was a bit of a concept/theoretical build and it's been quite a relief to me that it's turned out, and rides, as I'd hoped. In the eyes of proper MTBers it's probably going to be woefully underused(not in miles though) and I'd probably qualify on the all the gear and no idea scale, in that I could have bought a bike to meet my needs for a great deal less. But hey, what do you do? I like custom Ti, I like Rohloffs and I like big tyres.
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #4914 on: 21 November, 2011, 04:50:45 pm »
That looks lovely - especially the super bling chain!

Do those style of mudguards offer much protection?  I like them a lot, but wondered if they actually perform at all?

Thank you. I think the low profile guards work fine - with muck and spray mostly coming off the tyre in the direction of rotation. A few of my club mates have these or similar too, the only extra requirement for close group riding being a decent mud flap at the back (something I plan to install tonight!).

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4915 on: 21 November, 2011, 06:36:35 pm »
^^^ We're going to need a photo of the mudflap!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4916 on: 21 November, 2011, 08:14:09 pm »
In fact, we might need a whole new Gallery thread of mudguards and mudflaps.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

corshamjim

« Reply #4917 on: 21 November, 2011, 09:11:14 pm »
This the the mudflap I molished on Saturday.  ;D

and just to stay on-topic here's (most of) the bicycle it's on.

Since some of you saw this last I've put the drop bars and guidonnet levers on, built the front wheel with SA X-FDD dynamo/drum brake hub and just recently replaced the Cyo lamp with a Lyt (which I know is a downgrade, but at least I can turn the Lyt off when I want to!).

« Reply #4918 on: 22 November, 2011, 09:17:27 am »
^^^ We're going to need a photo of the mudflap!

Just for you OD, mud-flaps pr0n!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4919 on: 22 November, 2011, 09:28:22 am »
Pure filth, pass the box of tissues. What's made of?

« Reply #4920 on: 22 November, 2011, 09:44:52 am »
It's a vinyl like material from the paper stock trade.

[edit] @bobb - does the chain look gold enough for you in those pics? ;)

« Reply #4921 on: 22 November, 2011, 10:02:10 am »
I suppose so  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4922 on: 22 November, 2011, 10:04:43 am »
Nice.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4923 on: 22 November, 2011, 10:47:01 am »
The Goldie-Looking Chain is a Mistake, but otherwise, that's a really good looking bike. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #4924 on: 22 November, 2011, 11:19:53 am »
You're wrong about the chain, but I'll take your compliments on the rest of it, thank you very much! :P

[edit] actually I agree with bobb that it looks yellow in the main photo, which is not cool, but you'll have to take my word for it that it looks great in actuality. :D