Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2451654 times)

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7325 on: 16 August, 2014, 06:20:50 pm »

:thumbsup: Looking good. Mind you, even 'ape hangers' would look great on that frame ;D

What are the hubs, rims and tyres please sir?

Edit: See the boots are Panaracer Paselas. Are the rims Halo Whiteline?
[/quote]

I wanted a bike like this from the moment I saw a picture of one of your bikes on here, glad you like it.  :thumbsup:

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #7326 on: 17 August, 2014, 11:30:07 am »
That looks smashing M57; I'll keep a eye out for you on that! Incidentally, I was meant to be leading a V-CC Kent Lightweight Group ride from Headcorn today but had to cancel for medical reasons; I hope to reschedule once I am back on the road, I'll let you know.

Where did you find the bottle cage by the way? 

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #7327 on: 17 August, 2014, 12:10:14 pm »
Well, N+1 has arrived.
I decided to bite the bullet and go the whole hog with a bespoke, made to measure Columbus lite steel frame and a decent level of finishing kit from Paul Hewitt.

Here is the result. It is a superb bike. VERY stiff but comfortable; I can feel and see no frame torsion when stomping on the pedals and I am no lightweight! It is pretty light too; just about 10kg though the scales are not specific enough to give a better indication. With the stiffness, it seems to go uphill a little faster too. Top tube  is 60cm. Part of the deal in getting the bicycle was that SWMBO chose the colour; its growing on me slowly. I like the attention to detail - e.g. braized on cable guides for gear cable outers on head tube. Brooks Professional saddle is the best fit for my big bum.

42cm Handlebars, short drop. Nice comfortable padded sealskinz bar tape. I am lost without a mirror - neck not as flexible these days! The new Shimano stuff routes all the cables under the tape too so gives a very clean look.

Ulregra 11 speed, 11-32 cassette, 50x34 chainrings. Gives 29 to 127 inches. Better than my usual triple with almost as many steps which I have not missed yet. Polished stainless rear dropouts. CXP33 rims on Ultegra hubs. Not used Continental Gator Hardshell tyres before - will see how they pan out.

Looks like a very clean build. The welding is superb. It FITS my 6' 3" lardass frame just fine....!

« Reply #7328 on: 17 August, 2014, 01:39:52 pm »
Oooh ... CRC are doing them for £16.99 each at the moment

Just ordered 2, still showing more than 5 in stock. Plenty left for you, they're excellent tyres.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Moose57

« Reply #7329 on: 17 August, 2014, 05:41:54 pm »
That looks smashing M57; I'll keep a eye out for you on that! Incidentally, I was meant to be leading a V-CC Kent Lightweight Group ride from Headcorn today but had to cancel for medical reasons; I hope to reschedule once I am back on the road, I'll let you know.

Where did you find the bottle cage by the way?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-titanium-bottle-cage/

Attached to;

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/minoura/bh100c-s-cage-holder-ec029188

I have just joined the V-CC, was going to go on that ride but something else came up.
 :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7330 on: 17 August, 2014, 06:29:36 pm »
Latest addition re-admission to the fleet.

It's going to be my new pub/shopping bike and is built from an old frame stored in the loft, and with cast off bits from about five other bikes. I think only the cables and chain are new :)

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7331 on: 17 August, 2014, 08:59:30 pm »
Well, N+1 has arrived.
I decided to bite the bullet and go the whole hog with a bespoke, made to measure Columbus lite steel frame and a decent level of finishing kit from Paul Hewitt.

Here is the result. It is a superb bike. VERY stiff but comfortable; I can feel and see no frame torsion when stomping on the pedals and I am no lightweight! It is pretty light too; just about 10kg though the scales are not specific enough to give a better indication. With the stiffness, it seems to go uphill a little faster too. Top tube  is 60cm. Part of the deal in getting the bicycle was that SWMBO chose the colour; its growing on me slowly. I like the attention to detail - e.g. braized on cable guides for gear cable outers on head tube. Brooks Professional saddle is the best fit for my big bum.

42cm Handlebars, short drop. Nice comfortable padded sealskinz bar tape. I am lost without a mirror - neck not as flexible these days! The new Shimano stuff routes all the cables under the tape too so gives a very clean look.

Ulregra 11 speed, 11-32 cassette, 50x34 chainrings. Gives 29 to 127 inches. Better than my usual triple with almost as many steps which I have not missed yet. Polished stainless rear dropouts. CXP33 rims on Ultegra hubs. Not used Continental Gator Hardshell tyres before - will see how they pan out.

Looks like a very clean build. The welding is superb. It FITS my 6' 3" lardass frame just fine....!

Cracking! I am a sucker for polished dropouts.

SWMBO did well with colour choice as well.

Enjoy!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #7332 on: 17 August, 2014, 10:47:38 pm »
My bike by -menthel-

My Italia ready for our first attempt at touring. Went quite well, even despite the off road adventures. I really love this bike, despite being aluminium it is just so comfortable. It's quick when I put in the effort and happily carried the load I put on it. It's getting a treat of some tarty wheels for fast, fun blasts with no luggage.

« Reply #7333 on: 20 August, 2014, 10:52:21 am »
The Edinburgh hack

Went for a ride out to Livingstone-ish yesterday evening, needs a bit of trim around the saddle area, but all in all great fun.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7334 on: 20 August, 2014, 11:01:36 am »
Somewhat decluttered Majestique Butler comfy roller

« Reply #7335 on: 20 August, 2014, 10:37:46 pm »

Oooh, lovely :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Moose57

« Reply #7336 on: 20 August, 2014, 11:06:55 pm »

:thumbsup: As per

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #7337 on: 22 August, 2014, 12:25:03 pm »
Thought I would share a pic of the Thorn I just built - mostly from parts donate from my old winter (Ribble).  I haven't ridden it yet......well, its raining today!!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7338 on: 22 August, 2014, 12:42:58 pm »
Thought I would share a pic of the Thorn I just built - mostly from parts donate from my old winter (Ribble).  I haven't ridden it yet......well, its raining today!!

Looks great.

A combination of go faster components and go slower components.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #7339 on: 22 August, 2014, 12:54:31 pm »
And the balance of fast and slow componentry will suit my riding style a treat....that is, fast heartbeat, rapid gasping for breath....but general slow forward momentum

And the chain is actually a bit tight. ...

bumper
« Reply #7340 on: 22 August, 2014, 12:54:42 pm »

Looks great :thumbsup:

That's one of the best looking Thorns I've seen, possibly because it hasn't got 3ft of spacers ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #7341 on: 22 August, 2014, 07:41:30 pm »
Well that didn't work  :-[

Any help for this luddite here ?

« Reply #7342 on: 22 August, 2014, 07:47:27 pm »
Managed to delete my first pathetic attempt at loading an image - hence my comment makes no sense :0.

I obviously need to chop the steerer down to a sensible height now that the bar position seems right. Took it for a 20 mile spin today for a shakedown and it seems okay, although I have a slightly stiff chain link which needs sorting. The rear also seemed to try and change cog all by itself occasionally - could this  be due to the stiff chain link, or do i have to fiddle more with the derailleur?

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7343 on: 24 August, 2014, 09:19:28 pm »
This frame and forks (just post war?) are starting a new journey. Me new custodian  :)

1948 - 1953? Leach Marathon. Reynolds 531 throughout.

I LOVE my old thin steel tubed delights  :)

« Reply #7344 on: 25 August, 2014, 04:12:45 pm »
Well after completing my Nottingham to Edinburgh on my Btwin Triban 3 (Jim Bowen), the long distance bug has got me well and truly hooked.

On my return I took the decision to get the Spa Cycles Reynolds 725 steel Audax frame and forks and build it up ready for commuting / touring. I took the decision to fit with a SRAM Apex groupset, 50-34 Chainset and 11-32 Cassette, Tektro R737 long drop brakes, BTwin White aero handlebars, Deda Zero1 stem, Shimano RS11 wheelset & Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick (700x23) - (Got some Rubino Pro 700x28 to go on) & White leather saddle (from Amazon).

Very please with the build so far and can't wait to put some miles on it!

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7345 on: 25 August, 2014, 06:42:32 pm »
Just wondered whether any of you cats might want to see how 'far out' the effects of a 140mm quill stem can be?

1948 Percy Thornton Stallard 'Montlhéry' Accles & Pollock SAQ 'Kromo' tubeset

Now with upside down Porteur handlebars, brass bell and coloured beads on the gear cables - just cos  :-*

PH

« Reply #7346 on: 25 August, 2014, 07:08:18 pm »

On my return I took the decision to get the Spa Cycles Reynolds 725 steel Audax frame and forks and build it up ready for commuting / touring. I took the decision to fit with a SRAM Apex groupset, 50-34 Chainset and 11-32 Cassette, Tektro R737 long drop brakes, BTwin White aero handlebars, Deda Zero1 stem, Shimano RS11 wheelset & Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick (700x23) - (Got some Rubino Pro 700x28 to go on) & White leather saddle (from Amazon).

Very nice, but why not full guards?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7347 on: 25 August, 2014, 08:44:49 pm »
Just wondered whether any of you cats might want to see how 'far out' the effects of a 140mm quill stem can be?

1948 Percy Thornton Stallard 'Montlhéry' Accles & Pollock SAQ 'Kromo' tubeset

Now with upside down Porteur handlebars, brass bell and coloured beads on the gear cables - just cos  :-*

do you respray all these old frames, or do they just happen to be in very good condition , considering their , not inconsiderate , age?

Does look stunning by the way, I do believe you are a perfectionist. :)

« Reply #7348 on: 25 August, 2014, 09:00:45 pm »

Very nice, but why not full guards?

I had the race blades lying around so thought I'd try them first. Am looking at picking up the SKS chrome plastic 700 x20/28 ones.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7349 on: 26 August, 2014, 08:52:56 am »

do you respray all these old frames, or do they just happen to be in very good condition , considering their , not inconsiderate , age?

Does look stunning by the way, I do believe you are a perfectionist. :)

Perfectionist most definitely not - burnt myself out many years ago with that kinda malarky ;)

The '48 Stallard looks to have been repainted sometime in its life, not particularly well. I don't like the blue seat tube band one damned bit, so when funds permit I will have it re-enamelled in the poly silver again (available in 1948!) possibly with a rich cream headtube and cream seat tube panel.

The 48-53? Leach Marathon has I assume its original paint. Mainly because it is so faded and well worn, plus I can't imagine anyone going to the lengths and extent of the detailed box lining on a refurb. I much prefer to keep old paint when possible :thumbsup: The Leach is a prime example. I don't think I could ever bring myself to 'rejuvenate' that gem.

The only bike I've had new paint on is the '92 Longstaff.