Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2451710 times)

border-rider

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #1800 on: 21 July, 2009, 04:55:23 pm »
My Orbit. 

Just converted to Fixed

Looking very, very nice :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1801 on: 21 July, 2009, 05:36:53 pm »
My Orbit. 

Just converted to Fixed

It actually looks better.  Stick it on the bathroom scales - it should be about 17.5lb with pedals.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1802 on: 21 July, 2009, 05:46:51 pm »
I've seen that bike before!

I saw someone with a kick like Chris Hoy attempt to attack on a gentle hill, only to pull over with a broken bottom bracket after 50 yards   ;D ;D ;D :demon:

ed_o_brain

« Reply #1803 on: 22 July, 2009, 08:12:08 pm »
Before:

After:

Subtle tweaks have turned this into a tarmac eater. Better tyres. Better brake blocks. Narrower lower bars/bar ends.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #1804 on: 22 July, 2009, 08:16:24 pm »
I suspect that despite the Muddy Fox sticker and the artfully blacked-out down-tube there lies a Cannondale frame at the heart of that bike... or am I wrong?

ed_o_brain

« Reply #1805 on: 22 July, 2009, 08:18:07 pm »
I suspect that despite the Muddy Fox sticker and the artfully blacked-out down-tube there lies a Cannondale frame at the heart of that bike... or am I wrong?

best aluminium frame I've ever had :)

alan

« Reply #1806 on: 22 July, 2009, 08:33:56 pm »

Immediatley I saw it I thought it was an M500.We can't both be wrong :)

LEE

« Reply #1807 on: 22 July, 2009, 09:31:19 pm »
I love old MTB conversions, the frame geometry just suits a chunky road-based make-over.

Yours has a rather 'saintly' look about it

Viv

• Are we having fun yet?
    • Lythgo
« Reply #1808 on: 23 July, 2009, 08:32:02 am »
Love the halo pics - that's just perfect!

« Reply #1809 on: 23 July, 2009, 10:25:19 am »
My Orbit. 

Just converted to Fixed

Looking very, very nice :)

If it is anything like my Track Orbit, it'll be stiff and lovely! Nice bike.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #1810 on: 23 July, 2009, 10:00:30 pm »
 Plus 1 for the Orbit looking good

and Lee  :thumbsup: you beat me to the Saint quote   :)
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #1811 on: 25 July, 2009, 05:03:22 pm »
I have finally got the right bottle cages.  They are made by Giant but are called Enigma bottle cages.  How perfect is that - in titanium  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

See ?  ;D ;D

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1812 on: 25 July, 2009, 05:20:08 pm »
I have finally got the right bottle cages.  They are made by Giant but are called Enigma bottle cages.  How perfect is that - in titanium  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

See ?  ;D ;D

Aren't the cages upside down? ;)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1813 on: 25 July, 2009, 05:36:32 pm »

See ?  ;D ;D

No, clever they are.  When I first picked them up in the LBS I was holding them up the wrong way and he politely said - they go the other way  ;D  I have not made that mistake since I did it with my Specialized bottle cage all those years ago.  I was not sure even still, so I have just popped out to check with a bottle to hand.
No, clever they are  ;D

gordon taylor

« Reply #1814 on: 25 July, 2009, 05:42:26 pm »
This is my Cyclescheme bike, a Ridgeback Flight 04 with Alfine hub gear and carbon fork for £900. Supplied by Longstaffs and upgraded a little by me with stuff in the shed: Brooks Swift saddle, Oval seat-tube, Hope stem. Plus some new mudguards, ATAC pedals, grips and a propstand.
The retail cost was £997 including the pedals and mudguards, the cost to me will be about £620.  :thumbsup:

Oh, I changed the chain tensioner from a huge Shimano affair to a neater Surly Singulator.

First impressions are very good. The gearchange is amazing and the bike is silent. It might take me a while to get used to the straight bars and hydraulic brakes, but I'm looking forward to that.

« Reply #1815 on: 25 July, 2009, 05:46:37 pm »
Nice commuting colours too as that will hide the muck well.  :thumbsup:

gordon taylor

« Reply #1816 on: 25 July, 2009, 05:49:27 pm »
Nice commuting colours too as that will hide the muck well.  :thumbsup:

Thanks. I'll be taking those stickers off the wheelrims ASAP - they make the bike look too flashy for me.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #1817 on: 25 July, 2009, 07:11:44 pm »
That is a nice bike. I really like it.
Needs some nice bar ends though.

« Reply #1818 on: 25 July, 2009, 08:55:22 pm »
After a whole 12 months of ownership (a LONG time for me amd a bike!) and always thinking that it COULD be the best bike I've had (out of some 50?), the simple addition of Nitto racks front and rear means that now it IS!

On a stretch of the Erewash Canal that I'd never visited before this a.m. my Kili Comp (probably!). I'd have saved '000s.....

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #1819 on: 25 July, 2009, 08:58:03 pm »
"... a Ridgeback Flight 04 with Alfine hub gear and carbon fork for £900. "

That is very nice - but why oh why do they spoil the ship... or in this case a 900 quid bike for want of drop outs that don't call for a chain tensioner?
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #1820 on: 26 July, 2009, 12:52:06 am »

Gorgeous. I'd love a disk equipped, hub geared, tarmac eater.

gordon taylor

« Reply #1821 on: 26 July, 2009, 05:43:16 am »
"... a Ridgeback Flight 04 with Alfine hub gear and carbon fork for £900. "

That is very nice - but why oh why do they spoil the ship... or in this case a 900 quid bike for want of drop outs that don't call for a chain tensioner?

They use the same frame for all the Flight range, unfortunately - I presume for economic reasons. The Giant and Merida equivalents have eccentric BBs and I was sorely tempted by both of those too. However, I have a vague long term plan to take the hub off this bike at some point and build it into a heavy steel tourer... so this frame will run sweetly with a derailleur. I agonised for months over the compromises!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1822 on: 26 July, 2009, 07:49:19 am »

See ?  ;D ;D

Well, he is Australian after all........

They do look a bit odd though!!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #1823 on: 31 July, 2009, 07:26:56 pm »
My Enigma Etape - unnamed.

Beautiful ride. Light as a 9kg feather, goes like the clappers, exactly where you point it.

Crap saddle, though. That'll change.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1824 on: 31 July, 2009, 07:38:38 pm »
Lovely lookin' bike Bledlow.
Wishing you many (as I'm sure they will be) happy miles.
Straight-up question....
Are you able to operate the levers when you're on the drops?
Or do you not go there......