Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2451504 times)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #2500 on: 08 January, 2010, 06:33:46 pm »
Somehow this...

..has mutated into this...

I had the Dawes as a bad weather / winter bike for a couple of years, but it always felt a bit "dead" compared to what I was used to. I got the chance of the Ribble (Edit: frame & forks) dead cheap from a mate, so the plan was to sell the Dawes frame and transfer the bits to the Ribble.
I sold the frame to a fellow yacf-er but, as you can see, erm, not that many bits actually made the leap: seatpin, STIs, rear mech, cassette and cranks to be precise.  ??? :-X
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #2501 on: 08 January, 2010, 07:03:49 pm »
...and you managed to put together a pair of sliding doors as well  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2502 on: 08 January, 2010, 07:42:44 pm »
One of my early '90s Saracens in yet another guise. Now a 27 speed hardtail. White, red and blue theme. Got to pass the bad weather days somehow...

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #2503 on: 08 January, 2010, 11:09:53 pm »

Nice build, a definite improvement on the Dawes. :thumbsup: You'll stand out in the current conditions, have you tried it out yet?

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2504 on: 09 January, 2010, 07:54:45 am »
Nice build, a definite improvement on the Dawes. :thumbsup: You'll stand out in the current conditions, have you tried it out yet?
Cheers Maverick75.
It was going to have its maiden voyage today, but more overnight snow means yet another trundle on the old clunky mountain bike.  ::-)

« Reply #2505 on: 09 January, 2010, 08:44:45 am »
One of my early '90s Saracens in yet another guise. Now a 27 speed hardtail. White, red and blue theme. Got to pass the bad weather days somehow...

Very nice. Are those Judy XCs up front?

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #2506 on: 09 January, 2010, 10:35:26 am »

Yes, very yellow !  I like the saltire transfer on the top tube, did you add that ?
Aero but not dynamic

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2507 on: 09 January, 2010, 02:45:34 pm »
Yes, very yellow !  I like the saltire transfer on the top tube, did you add that ?
No, the saltire was included in the purchase price.  :thumbsup:
It is, errm, yellow, isn't it?  :-\

« Reply #2508 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:00:52 pm »
It is, errm, yellow, isn't it?  :-\

'Big Al' yellow - if you know what I mean  ;)

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2509 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:08:31 pm »
'Big Al' yellow - if you know what I mean  ;)
???

« Reply #2510 on: 09 January, 2010, 09:01:53 pm »
"Very nice. Are those Judy XCs up front?"

Thank you! Yes - NOS, fitted for first time a few days ago!

The frame is one of the very best I've ever owned - and certainly outclasses anything that has cost me less than 20x as much. That's why I have two!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #2511 on: 10 January, 2010, 04:39:28 pm »

My MTB now has the Schwalbe Winter tyres installed.  :thumbsup:

PH

« Reply #2512 on: 10 January, 2010, 07:57:39 pm »
My latest toy ;D
had it since the summeer, photo now before it gets the mudguard, saddlebag and lights treatment, it's just too good to keep as a summer bike.

Planet X Ti Sportive frame
Enigma Ti Audax fork
Everything else moved over from other bikes, this was a n-2  +1 project, so mix and match Campag 9spd triple,
Record, Chorus, Veloce and Champ it all works.

« Reply #2513 on: 10 January, 2010, 08:06:52 pm »
Looks good  :) Do those ti forks have a steel steerer?

PH

« Reply #2514 on: 10 January, 2010, 09:40:09 pm »
Looks good  :) Do those ti forks have a steel steerer?

No, they're all ti, which might be fun if I get round to cutting them down.

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #2515 on: 11 January, 2010, 05:14:11 pm »
It's no problem at all to cut down a ti steerer, just use a plumber's tool for cutting copper tubes and it works fine.

border-rider

« Reply #2516 on: 11 January, 2010, 05:20:33 pm »
Enigma Ti Audax fork

You bought the fork separately then ?

Was it terribly expensive ? When I spoke to them a couple of years ago they didn't want to make one and quoted an outrageous price...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2517 on: 11 January, 2010, 05:29:42 pm »
It's no problem at all to cut down a ti steerer, just use a plumber's tool for cutting copper tubes and it works fine.

If you wish PH I have a plumbers pipe cutter which you could use

« Reply #2518 on: 11 January, 2010, 05:52:28 pm »
Enigma Ti Audax fork

Was it terribly expensive ? When I spoke to them a couple of years ago they didn't want to make one and quoted an outrageous price...
The price with a bike was £110 more than the bike with standard carbon fork when I paid for mine, last summer. That was for the standard Ti fork. Mine was custom, because they'd cocked up the clearances & they needed a non-standard fork to make up the difference, but they waived the custom building charge (actually, I wonder how much difference it makes: I suspect all the Ti forks are built to order).
I don't know how much their carbon forks cost, but that doesn't sound as if they're outrageously expensive.

On the other hand, they may not be making any money on them, given their reluctance to make 'em. From what Jim Walker said, they had some difficulty getting the Taiwanese to make anything other than the standard frames. But that may have changed: his son's now making Ti frames, & perhaps he could also make forks.

Nice fork, though. I've heard various suggestions that Ti isn't ideal for forks, but these seem good. The bike goes just where I point it, & I don't suffer road buzz. Soak up bumps pretty well, too.

My fork was supplied separately, because of the aforementioned difficulties (I returned the surplus carbon fork), & I therefore had a good look at it. All Ti, including steerer. I got an LBS (AW Cycles, Caversham) to fit it, which they were perfectly happy to do. They appeared to consider it routine. I believe they use a pipe-cutter for such jobs, as Blah advises.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2519 on: 11 January, 2010, 06:28:00 pm »
Planet X Ti Sportive frame
Enigma Ti Audax fork
Everything else moved over from other bikes, this was a n-2  +1 project, so mix and match Campag 9spd triple,
Record, Chorus, Veloce and Champ it all works.

My old Roberts somehow ended up with that, though a little downmarket from yours: Chorus, Daytona & Mirage. Worked fine for me. I hope it will continue to work as well for Woofage.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

PH

« Reply #2520 on: 11 January, 2010, 06:34:50 pm »
Enigma Ti Audax fork

It was listed as a stock item in the summer, though it's no longer on Enigma's website.  £220 inc postage, seemed reasonable to me and fit's in with Bledlow's £100 upgrade.  I'm happy with it.

PH

« Reply #2521 on: 11 January, 2010, 06:36:04 pm »

If you wish PH if have a plumbers pipe cutter which you could use

I'll probably take you up on that, thanks.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2522 on: 11 January, 2010, 07:18:15 pm »

If you wish PH if have a plumbers pipe cutter which you could use

I'll probably take you up on that, thanks.

just let me know when you want it & I will come over. I might even ride over :o

border-rider

« Reply #2523 on: 12 January, 2010, 08:36:47 am »
It was listed as a stock item in the summer, though it's no longer on Enigma's website.  £220 inc postage, seemed reasonable to me and fit's in with Bledlow's £100 upgrade.  I'm happy with it.

OK, thanks

That's about half what they quoted me a couple of years ago...

« Reply #2524 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:53:33 pm »

:thumbsup:

Judy in this ice, that's what you are...
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup: