Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2451623 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3075 on: 06 May, 2010, 10:17:59 pm »
I have Dura Ace 9 speed on two of my bikes and another set unused in my box. They just work, forever. One bike has Shimano 105 mechs, the other Ultegra and Dura Ace.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #3076 on: 06 May, 2010, 11:24:25 pm »
I too have some DT shifters (105's) and often wonder why I just don't stick them on all my bikes. The bike I have with STI's doesn't change gear half as well regardless of how much I adjust them.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #3077 on: 07 May, 2010, 01:42:08 am »
The satisfying clunk on those shifters almost makes up for the bike not being fixed ;o)
The Kona certainly is a satisfying bike to own. Especially at the price I paid

:smug:

So much so, I might be selling my soot bike in order to fund some of my business venture.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3078 on: 07 May, 2010, 08:58:55 am »
Oooh - downtube levers! :)

I've been looking at the Shimano 600 'arabesques' on my Woodrup, and wanting to get it fettled onto the road :)
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3079 on: 07 May, 2010, 06:22:52 pm »
I have                   DT shifters on my     tourer                          bike.  Shift very smoothly and immediately.  I keep reaching for them on my other bikes and wondering why there's nothing there...

I do the same after riding the Longstaff.

« Reply #3080 on: 08 May, 2010, 12:07:40 pm »
I like Konas! Really nice looking bike.
I also have a backward facing pointy protrusion on the head tube of my Kona (and have seen similar on other bikes too). Can anyone tell me what this is for?

« Reply #3081 on: 08 May, 2010, 12:08:49 pm »
Pump peg

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3082 on: 08 May, 2010, 12:25:15 pm »
No it's not.  It's where it suckles Konalets.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3083 on: 08 May, 2010, 12:30:06 pm »
Pump peg
It does look a bit like that, but there's no corresponding peg at the other end, and it looks too long a stretch for a pump to go along the top tube and just fit against the frame...I'm not entirely convinced.

« Reply #3084 on: 08 May, 2010, 02:41:40 pm »
There doesn't need to be a peg at the other end.

Zoidburg

« Reply #3085 on: 08 May, 2010, 09:13:33 pm »
Pump peg
It does look a bit like that, but there's no corresponding peg at the other end, and it looks too long a stretch for a pump to go along the top tube and just fit against the frame...I'm not entirely convinced.
They do make pumps in more than one length, longer ones being described as "frame fitting".

SKS Germany

See the size chart?

rogerzilla

« Reply #3086 on: 09 May, 2010, 11:28:49 am »
Normally the pump ends up non-parallel to the top tube and ruins the look of the bike...so you end up carrying CO2  :)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3087 on: 09 May, 2010, 12:37:58 pm »
Normally the pump ends up non-parallel to the top tube and ruins the look of the bike...so you end up carrying CO2  :)

Confirmed by means of a micrometer, I assume?  :P

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3088 on: 09 May, 2010, 01:53:49 pm »
Just whack a little zip tie tight round the seat tube to stop it sliding.  Works for me.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #3089 on: 09 May, 2010, 04:46:35 pm »
Pump peg
They do make pumps in more than one length, longer ones being described as "frame fitting".

SKS Germany

See the size chart?
Ok, I'd not actually seen pumps that long before! I use one of these instead.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #3090 on: 10 May, 2010, 01:54:29 pm »
Latest project is now complete. Many thanks to the forumers who helped out with advice re brakes and gears. This is a 1979 'King of Mercia' touring with its original paintwork and transfers built with a full Super Record groupset. Wheels are SR large flange hubs on new (700C) Ambrosio rims. Bars and stem are Cinnelli (1A stem and Campione del Mondo bars).

« Reply #3091 on: 10 May, 2010, 01:57:05 pm »
Ooh very nice  :)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3092 on: 10 May, 2010, 02:01:22 pm »
Tasteful.  Very tasteful.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3093 on: 10 May, 2010, 04:47:51 pm »
Yes, very nice. Surprised to see the rear brake cable routed that way (inner cable only on the underside of the top tube) in 1979!

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #3094 on: 10 May, 2010, 05:46:44 pm »
Yes, very nice. Surprised to see the rear brake cable routed that way (inner cable only on the underside of the top tube) in 1979!

S/N indicates 1979 and 2 cable bosses on top tube  ??? Doesn't mean I've set it up right though :-[

This is from a 1970's Mercian brochure and shows similar cable routing

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3095 on: 10 May, 2010, 07:00:04 pm »
I just don't remember frames going over to that kind of routing until much later. Just shows that whatever "innovation" you see in the world of bikes - it's probably been done before!

Looking closer, the bosses appear to be on the wrong side - they're usually on the non-drive side so you don't have to loop the last bit of outer round the seatpost. Maybe it was designed for some kind of centrepull brake?

rdaviesb

« Reply #3096 on: 10 May, 2010, 07:48:03 pm »

rogerzilla

« Reply #3097 on: 10 May, 2010, 09:43:53 pm »
I just don't remember frames going over to that kind of routing until much later. Just shows that whatever "innovation" you see in the world of bikes - it's probably been done before!

Looking closer, the bosses appear to be on the wrong side - they're usually on the non-drive side so you don't have to loop the last bit of outer round the seatpost. Maybe it was designed for some kind of centrepull brake?

Brakes are sometimes left-handed and sometimes right-handed.  The last time I had cable stops brazed on, I had them along the top of the top tube.  Makes it impossible to sit on, but easier to stop the bike by pulling the cable, if for some reason you think that's terribly cool  ;)

« Reply #3098 on: 10 May, 2010, 09:47:00 pm »
1979 'King of Mercia'

It's a very nice shade of blue, that bike.

It could be just the angle of the photo, but I think the rear derailleur outer looks a bit short.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #3099 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:54:45 pm »

It would almost definitely had centrepull brakes originally.

It could be just the angle of the photo, but I think the rear derailleur outer looks a bit short.

It is, it will get sorted in due course - I've been promised a longer Campag stainless outer that I'll pick up sometime.

Utterly lovely.
Thank you, and to the others for the positive comments. Hopefully out tomorrow for my first proper ride - only been up and down the street to check everything is tightened up and working so far.