Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2451435 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3125 on: 15 May, 2010, 08:50:34 pm »
My new Cannondale CAAD9:

I've owned it for 3 months now. It is a truly super-bike base with great potential; high end alloy frame at reasonable price. I did my longest ride so far on it yesterday, 115 Mi with over 10,000 ft climbing (short of 90 ft/Mi which is close to the magic 100 ft/Mi golden ratio). Here we are making the top of Winnats, 57 Mi in our sortie:

Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #3126 on: 15 May, 2010, 10:14:26 pm »
That looks very nice mate.  Very fast  ;D

« Reply #3127 on: 15 May, 2010, 11:12:07 pm »
That looks very nice mate.  Very fast  ;D

A GT-superbike: Speed in comfort. I'm happy. Can't stop grinning in fact...  ;D

« Reply #3128 on: 15 May, 2010, 11:39:58 pm »
I picked up my C2W N+1 today:

After 35 miles around the lanes and bridleways of Charnwood this evening  -  I like it !

OK  -  I know that the undergrowth is a bit slack.

Fabulous  :thumbsup: Except the brown bar tape  >:(
Not my taste I guess.
Hope you have many happy miles on the beastie  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3129 on: 16 May, 2010, 12:03:35 am »
Final, I hope, incarnation of my very old Mongoose IBOC MTB:-

Front close-up:-

Front fork is now a Kona P2 and Avid BB7s are fitted front and back, 160mm rotors.
Wheels are the spare pair from my (stolen) Enigma- STC 19 rims/XT rear hub/SON front hub/Marathon Supreme 700x35 tyres.
It goes well but I'm not sure that I know that I wouldn't want to do more than 100 miles in a day on it.

Love the bike- I did my first ever tour on it, around the Bodenzee in 2000, and then used it on tours in France for the following 5 years.
I've spent way more on it than it's worth but, when the frame craps out, I'll transfer the remaining bits onto another bike.
"I've had this broom for years...."  ;)

Pictures taken at Chester Station. Yes, I should have moved the plastic crate.........

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3130 on: 16 May, 2010, 01:11:19 am »
It's been a while since I posted so here's some girl on girl action.

The trike is currently on the floor in parts waiting for a rebuild so more pics coming :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #3131 on: 16 May, 2010, 10:56:27 am »
Fabulous  :thumbsup: Except the brown bar tape  >:(
Not my taste I guess.

Ditto me, but I'd just change that.  I might even go for white.
The seat would have to go as I'd put on a Specialized one - so maybe the white version of that too  ;D
Crisp ( when it is brand new and not used )  ::-)

« Reply #3132 on: 16 May, 2010, 12:04:31 pm »
My new Cannondale CAAD9:

I've owned it for 3 months now. It is a truly super-bike base with great potential; high end alloy frame at reasonable price. I did my longest ride so far on it yesterday, 115 Mi with over 10,000 ft climbing (short of 90 ft/Mi which is close to the magic 100 ft/Mi golden ratio). Here we are making the top of Winnats, 57 Mi in our sortie:

Smashing looking bike that Frenchie,if it rides anywhere near as good as it looks, you should be well pleased, they've had some really really good reviews too, although I'd be a bit carefull going anywhere near Vailiant ;D

« Reply #3133 on: 16 May, 2010, 05:13:39 pm »
^^^
Hot, hot, hot...  ;) And, yes, it does ride as well as it looks. That frame is amazing, stiff enough but superbly comfortable (I did a 70 Mi club ride with it straight out of the box, no problem): Who said aluminium was dead?! On some of the super steep downhills on Friday it felt like a rail, very stable, and I had no problem catching up and overtaking my team mate.

PS It is too big for Valiant anyway.

Zoidburg

« Reply #3134 on: 16 May, 2010, 07:33:43 pm »
Is that a specific cross build?
Can it take guards?

From Overview «  Genesis Bikes

A bike that could be found taking on all kinds of terrain, the Croix de Fer suits 28c road slicks and guards or the fitted 35c ’cross tyres for country lanes, tracks and byways.

If the Croix de Fer had been around when I was choosing my Peregrine I'd have had a far harder choice :)
I like this one more than the tri-cross single.

Overview «  Genesis Bikes

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3135 on: 16 May, 2010, 10:59:44 pm »
That Croix de fer is a great bike.  OK, I too wouldn't have the brown bar tape, but then I wouldn't want my bike to be white, either.  Lovely ride.
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #3136 on: 17 May, 2010, 10:25:58 am »
My new Cannondale CAAD9:

Smashing looking bike that Frenchie,if it rides anywhere near as good as it looks, you should be well pleased, they've had some really really good reviews too, although I'd be a bit carefull going anywhere near Vailiant ;D

Cannondale really know how to work aluminium don't they?

My 'Best' bike is a 2004 Cannondale R800 (also a caad9 frame).

I love it and wouldn't change it for anything (apart from upgrading the wheels- the 16 spoke rear is a bit flexy when honking and twitchy when fast descending and maybe swapping the colour for your red Frenchie)

« Reply #3137 on: 17 May, 2010, 02:11:57 pm »
Ah Ha! Very good. So have you ridden it about at all yet?

I've been busy ;D

stuff to do yet, either change saddle for a black b17 or change the bar tape for brown Brooks leather.  Cabling to sort properly for length etc,  may fit some STIs if I can find some at a reasonable price.  Saddle and bar to get spot on as well yet.

« Reply #3138 on: 17 May, 2010, 04:00:07 pm »
Ah Ha! Very good. So have you ridden it about at all yet?

I've been busy ;D

stuff to do yet, either change saddle for a black b17 or change the bar tape for brown Brooks leather.  Cabling to sort properly for length etc,  may fit some STIs if I can find some at a reasonable price.  Saddle and bar to get spot on as well yet.

A few miles last night to start getting it just so, had to cut it short because the Vredestein tyre on the back started to disintegrate  ???  hence the need to fit tyres.  Hoping to get them fitted this evening  :thumbsup:

Show the pictures to your dad if you can.

« Reply #3139 on: 17 May, 2010, 04:14:30 pm »
Mudguards? Looks like plenty of space in those long drop calliper brakes to accommodate them...  

Will pass on the photos.

[edit] Oh, and what is the ride like?

Zoidburg

« Reply #3140 on: 17 May, 2010, 05:37:59 pm »
I hate to metion this but are the brake levers on the right way round?

Cables look odd under the tape.

« Reply #3141 on: 17 May, 2010, 06:14:07 pm »
Mudguards? Looks like plenty of space in those long drop calliper brakes to accommodate them...  

Will pass on the photos.

Mudguards very likely later in year, hard to tell what it rides like, the disintegrating tyre was balooning in one place so it felt odd. 

« Reply #3142 on: 17 May, 2010, 06:17:00 pm »
I hate to metion this but are the brake levers on the right way round?

Cables look odd under the tape.

Interesting point. I had a bit of trouble routing them properly  and routed so my hands didnt rest on them in the end and intended having another go when I redo the bartape. The brake levers have been that way round since I bought the donor bike. They could have been on the wrong way round originally, I'll try swapping them over . cheers

Zoidburg

« Reply #3143 on: 17 May, 2010, 06:21:44 pm »
I thought they were, they normaly route in from the inside of the drops so cable sits under the joint of your fingers.

If you ask at your LBS they may if you are lucky have some old cable routing guides by shimano that were designed to work with the stand alone aero levers.

They look a bit like a cable tidy with metal ferule at one end, the ferule plugs into the lever.

« Reply #3144 on: 17 May, 2010, 08:55:56 pm »

Will pass on the photos.

Mudguards very likely later in year, hard to tell what it rides like, the disintegrating tyre was balooning in one place so it felt odd. 

Changed the tyres and been out for a ride. It rides very very well, I can see a long friendship developing here :thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3145 on: 18 May, 2010, 09:56:52 am »
Another picture of my Peregrine

I swapped the drops I'd originally fitted for some bullhorns after discovering how much better I gut on with them :)

« Reply #3146 on: 18 May, 2010, 09:59:53 am »
Another picture of my Peregrine

I swapped the drops I'd originally fitted for some bullhorns after discovering how much better I gut on with them :)

Is this a term of which I am (blissfully) unaware ?

"Gut on":  To rest one's mid-riff on the top tube whilst struggling with bull horns.
Rust never sleeps

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3147 on: 18 May, 2010, 11:46:15 pm »
My road bike - ready for a weekend away playing in the hills:

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3148 on: 19 May, 2010, 09:04:08 am »
Nice.  The thing about all your bikes, C, is that they just look Right.  And, given you're the same size as me, I just want to get on & ride them. 
Getting there...

« Reply #3149 on: 19 May, 2010, 09:11:05 am »
Did the downtube decal come from zazzle?  I think I might need to buy one come payday.