Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2451458 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3650 on: 19 September, 2010, 03:28:36 pm »
How does it ride with all that luggage?

Really well - bike almost seems happier with luggage than without, definitely no shimmy on descents, and with some low gears I don't have to walk too often.

I find exactly the same thing with the Ridgeback Panorama. Rides much better and smoother when loaded up.

My Dawes Sardar (not the current incarnation)was exactly the same.It was ideal for cycle camping.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3651 on: 19 September, 2010, 04:57:19 pm »
Continuing the theme, I've just packed for a few days in the Lakes:

Just waiting for the rain to stop and the roads to dry now.  Maybe I'll have another cuppa.

Love it. What's the bike?

« Reply #3652 on: 19 September, 2010, 05:07:31 pm »
How does it ride with all that luggage?

Really well - bike almost seems happier with luggage than without, definitely no shimmy on descents, and with some low gears I don't have to walk too often.

I find exactly the same thing with the Ridgeback Panorama. Rides much better and smoother when loaded up.

My Dawes Sardar (not the current incarnation)was exactly the same.It was ideal for cycle camping.

Exactly my experience too when riding my new Super Galaxy up and down the North Devon coast recently (definitely felt like more ups than downs...). I couldn't get over how different it was with some weight on it.  :thumbsup:

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #3653 on: 20 September, 2010, 01:41:28 pm »
My Inbred in it's latest setup, somewhere above Penygarreg in the Elan Valley:

I love the look of that, does it have odd sized wheels, what rear hub does it have?

Chris N

« Reply #3654 on: 20 September, 2010, 02:00:18 pm »
Thanks! Same rims (Mavic TN719) front and rear, but different tyres - a whopping 2.4" on the front, 2.1" on the back. The rear hub is a WTB Single Duty SS hub.

« Reply #3655 on: 21 September, 2010, 12:25:06 am »
Mine yesterday at a well known Somerset landmark, passed 2200 miles for this year at the same time,  I know a lot of you do many more miles but that is a lot for me in only my 4th year of getting really back into cycling.

« Reply #3656 on: 21 September, 2010, 05:44:33 am »
Each to their own. It is not a race  :thumbsup:
Well done.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3657 on: 21 September, 2010, 08:41:38 am »
I'm aiming for 2000 miles this year which will be the most I've done since getting back into cycling in 2004.  Like Grub says, it ain't a race and I've loved every single one of my miles.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3658 on: 21 September, 2010, 09:42:28 am »
Good news, Gene :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #3659 on: 21 September, 2010, 11:45:13 am »

Just waiting for the rain to stop and the roads to dry now.  Maybe I'll have another cuppa.

Is that a MTB converted to drops? I quite fancy giving that a go at some point as a future commuter - does anyone know if there's already a topic on this? I think there is but can't find the thread.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3660 on: 21 September, 2010, 12:38:53 pm »
Is that a MTB converted to drops? I quite fancy giving that a go at some point as a future commuter - does anyone know if there's already a topic on this? I think there is but can't find the thread.

I can't remember either but there's certainly a few 'RTB's on here.

Mine for example.

A mid-90s DynaTech

A project that grew from this experiment

Not that I need an excuse to show you pictures of my bikes. Oh no!

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3661 on: 21 September, 2010, 12:50:42 pm »
I believe we've had a couple of threads about roadifying MTBs before...
Getting there...

Zoidburg

« Reply #3662 on: 21 September, 2010, 03:03:26 pm »
They steer funny.

The top tube tends to be too long, I have an RTB in the works and I am using an old Giant Boulder because the top tube is shorter.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3663 on: 21 September, 2010, 03:28:06 pm »
What does RTB stand for?

For the record, I am doing my own. I have a Dawes frame in Reynolds 631 that has quite a short top tube. I bought it off a former employee who said he had it made for him. It has Giro decals, which is a bit odd.
Pen Pusher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3664 on: 21 September, 2010, 03:46:35 pm »
RTB is a Road All Terrain Bike.  I first came across the term in C+, in the days before they'd discovered road bikes & sportives etc. 

But the first hybrid bikes - the Orbit Frontier (not that one - the earlier one), and the Muddy Fox Cantremember - were essentially ATBs with drop bars.

When I went to the Bicycle Action ride at Box Hill in about 88?, the couriers were there, with their essential mountain bikes - trendy, but necessary for those city streets, d'ye see? (how times change! ;) ).  Several of them had unusual bars, including the Bramahs, and drop bars with extended straights forming grips each side.  One had straight bars with bolted in drop extensions, an idea which has been revived recently, but more successfully.  Having a tourer which loved roughstuff (my old Carlton at the time), I was quite interested in this convergence.
Getting there...

« Reply #3665 on: 21 September, 2010, 08:31:22 pm »

Chains a bit ........................... rusty  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3666 on: 21 September, 2010, 08:42:40 pm »
Because I've now got a matching set of Jibbler homages:

Dawes Discovery 501, 20th September 2009:

HPV Streetmachine GT, 19th September 2010:

Bonus points for spotting the kit that is (and more importantly appears to be but isn't) featured in both photos :)

« Reply #3667 on: 21 September, 2010, 09:06:44 pm »
The bottle? My guess is that it is now filled with electrickery?

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3668 on: 21 September, 2010, 09:17:06 pm »
RTB is a Road All Terrain Bike.  I first came across the term in C+, in the days before they'd discovered road bikes & sportives etc. 

I see. Thanks, clarion :).
Pen Pusher

bikenerd

« Reply #3669 on: 22 September, 2010, 03:56:54 pm »
Something a bit different for this forum :) :

Frame was a "bargain" on eBay so I transferred all the bits from my geared hardtail, along with some blingy Hope stuff.  It's an East (Lancs.) meets West (Yorks.) bike!

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #3670 on: 22 September, 2010, 04:08:43 pm »
Something a bit different for this forum :) :

Frame was a "bargain" on eBay so I transferred all the bits from my geared hardtail, along with some blingy Hope stuff.  It's an East (Lancs.) meets West (Yorks.) bike!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3671 on: 22 September, 2010, 04:10:16 pm »
Ooh! Shiny!

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #3672 on: 22 September, 2010, 06:54:23 pm »
Thanks for the pics torslanda,

They steer funny.

The top tube tends to be too long, I have an RTB in the works and I am using an old Giant Boulder because the top tube is shorter.

That was my next thought - you'd probably need a smaller than normal frame/stem to compensate for a top tube that was intended for flat bars. Careful measuring and planning to get the right frame is probably the name of the game here?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3673 on: 22 September, 2010, 08:18:32 pm »

Love it. What's the bike?

Judging by the colour and the wishbone rear stay, I'd say orange P7 same as mine but with rigid forks.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3674 on: 22 September, 2010, 09:02:28 pm »
^^^  Thought as much.  I love hard tail MTBs converted to road / utility / touring.  I have one, the much loved Claud, there ain't much he can't do  ;D