Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2451584 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #4300 on: 25 March, 2011, 07:06:09 pm »
I saw a guy on my commute last week in Weston-super-Mare riding a track bike with a fully solid rear wheel. He was battling to control it in a cross wind  ;D

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #4301 on: 25 March, 2011, 07:12:36 pm »
Just weighed it: 7.5kg

Really?  Sounds a lot.  16.5 lbs

« Reply #4302 on: 25 March, 2011, 07:22:14 pm »
never weighed a bike before so I have no idea.  Just as well I put 19mm tubs on or I'd never have been able to lift it  ;D

« Reply #4303 on: 25 March, 2011, 07:39:41 pm »

Really?  Sounds a lot.  16.5 lbs

No big hills on the track so stiffness tends to be favoured over lightness.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #4304 on: 25 March, 2011, 07:45:09 pm »
Stopping is not an option.

I hope I stop at some point!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4305 on: 25 March, 2011, 09:51:53 pm »

Exact same weight as my bike. Includes two chainrings, front and rear mech, 10-speed cassette, brakes, ergolevers, bottle cages etc!  :D

« Reply #4306 on: 25 March, 2011, 10:11:04 pm »

Exact same weight as my bike. Includes two chainrings, front and rear mech, 10-speed cassette, brakes, ergolevers, bottle cages etc!  :D

ow well...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4307 on: 26 March, 2011, 05:32:38 pm »
First ride this year on it this morning, it was great after lugging a 10kg steed around all winter  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4308 on: 26 March, 2011, 05:33:42 pm »
2_Flat_Erics has just got his belated birthday present  :D :D :D

From the box on its maiden ride  :D

Now with mudguards and M+ tyres  :thumbsup:

Btw its an 8 speed Pompetamine  ;D

Rack on order from Wiggle.

« Reply #4309 on: 26 March, 2011, 05:46:36 pm »
2_Flat_Erics has just got his belated birthday present  :D :D :D

From the box on its maiden ride  :D

Now with mudguards and M+ tyres  :thumbsup:

Btw its an 8 speed Pompetamine  ;D

Rack on order from Wiggle.

Very nice  :thumbsup:
Is that the glow in the dark white?

« Reply #4310 on: 26 March, 2011, 05:56:03 pm »
Very nice 
Is that the glow in the dark white?

It is. we havent had a spectacular glow in the dark yet though  :-\

« Reply #4311 on: 26 March, 2011, 06:01:56 pm »
That is a very nice bike. I've lusted after the drop bar version for a while.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4312 on: 26 March, 2011, 06:07:28 pm »
I'm considering a glow in the dark drop bar one aswell. Looks lovely. I have a white Pompino which I find very comfy so think I might just buy an Alfine one and set it up exactly the same.

« Reply #4313 on: 27 March, 2011, 09:37:19 am »
The only big upgrade that needs to be had is an Alfine dyname hub/wheel. The front light might be a bit of a problem as there is no fixing for the front forks.
Any solutions to this problem ?
Btw 2_Flat_Erics is well pleased  :smug:

« Reply #4314 on: 27 March, 2011, 11:56:31 am »
Oh dear, there's not much room in the shed now, but at least I've managed to wallow in some 1980s nostalgia with this extraordinarily well preserved and maintained Rockhopper Comp from, I believe, 1987; that was the year when I bought my first MTB. 

Just feast your eyes on the tasteful colour scheme, behold the wonders of biopace and marvel at the sight of olde-worlde Deore components!  I have fitted new pedals and a more suitable saddle, and will need to change to some better tyres and maybe fit a lower stem.

« Reply #4315 on: 27 March, 2011, 05:45:35 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4316 on: 27 March, 2011, 05:53:38 pm »
The only big upgrade that needs to be had is an Alfine dyname hub/wheel. The front light might be a bit of a problem as there is no fixing for the front forks.

On my Pompino, which I presume is exactly the same, I drilled and tapped a hole right in the middle of the fork crown. You could get away with drilling a hole and bolting from the other side.
I had to take a deep breath before I did it, but once done you can mount something like a Cyo. Take it easy and use a sharp drill bit. I have cantis so I had to use a long bolt and some tubing to hold the light in front of the straddle wire, but with discs you won't have to do that. 

« Reply #4317 on: 27 March, 2011, 08:11:51 pm »

On my Pompino, which I presume is exactly the same, I drilled and tapped a hole right in the middle of the fork crown. You could get away with drilling a hole and bolting from the other side.
I had to take a deep breath before I did it, but once done you can mount something like a Cyo. Take it easy and use a sharp drill bit. I have cantis so I had to use a long bolt and some tubing to hold the light in front of the straddle wire, but with discs you won't have to do that. 

I was hoping there might be something like this but in 1"1/8th rather than getting the drill out  :-\
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/b-and-m-dynamo-front-headlamp-bracket-to-fit-headset-222-mm-1-inch-steerer-tube-bmd35-prod15640/

border-rider

« Reply #4318 on: 27 March, 2011, 08:19:28 pm »

That's what I've done with mine - twice, once with the original carbon fork and once with a steel fork.

« Reply #4319 on: 27 March, 2011, 09:17:52 pm »
Another update, give the pompino a clean and check over plus swapped the chainring to a silver one and fitted a new chain and tyres.

Then after a sudden rush of blood to the head, purchased a new pair of wheels, looked ok but felt way too heavy.

So plan b, after speaking to a good friend of mine, he wanted some dark coloured wheels for a project so did a deal for these, was not sure to start with but they have grown on me, I am thinking of a white saddle now to match.

« Reply #4320 on: 27 March, 2011, 09:18:28 pm »
It's been a long time coming, but I've finally gotten around to getting my Colnago back together.
I'd bought it a few years ago for a silly cheap price, but had put it to one side promising a full on bells & whistles build.
I got a bit of a medical kick up the arse towards the end of last year & after reading It's All About The Bike by Robert Penn, I thought I'd better get on and get the thing built & back out & riding it.

I've built it up on a budget. I already had the wheels and although i would of liked to build it with Campag, it just made more sense to go with Shimano.
I got the Ultegra 10 STI's in the sale at CRC for £120, Saddle £20 second hand, Bars £15 Planet X sale,
Tyres, Michelin Folding£10 for the pair!!
+ Chain, Cassette, Bar Tape, Bottle Cages, brake pads etc.
Around about £230 spend + bits i already had.

Used the original f & r mechs and they seem quite happy working with the 10 speed bits.
Stripped the brakes down to components & shot blasted, then careful re-assembly & they work well.

I've been out for a few rides on it now and couldn't be happier.
This ones a keeper i guess.

« Reply #4321 on: 27 March, 2011, 10:51:34 pm »

That's what I've done with mine - twice, once with the original carbon fork and once with a steel fork.

I drilled all the way through and used a through bolt long enough to accomodate two nuts on the back. So that I could mount mudguards via second nut and didn't disturb light when doing so.
Nuns, no sense of humour

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4322 on: 29 March, 2011, 01:02:57 am »

Retro-tastic!  :D

Oi! That's pretty much my entire stable you're talkin' abaht, there!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #4323 on: 29 March, 2011, 01:18:42 am »
It's been a long time coming, but I've finally gotten around to getting my Colnago back together.
I'd bought it a few years ago for a silly cheap price, but had put it to one side promising a full on bells & whistles build.
I got a bit of a medical kick up the arse towards the end of last year & after reading It's All About The Bike by Robert Penn, I thought I'd better get on and get the thing built & back out & riding it.

I've built it up on a budget. I already had the wheels and although i would of liked to build it with Campag, it just made more sense to go with Shimano.
I got the Ultegra 10 STI's in the sale at CRC for £120, Saddle £20 second hand, Bars £15 Planet X sale,
Tyres, Michelin Folding£10 for the pair!!
+ Chain, Cassette, Bar Tape, Bottle Cages, brake pads etc.
Around about £230 spend + bits i already had.

Used the original f & r mechs and they seem quite happy working with the 10 speed bits.
Stripped the brakes down to components & shot blasted, then careful re-assembly & they work well.

I've been out for a few rides on it now and couldn't be happier.
This ones a keeper i guess.

Thats nice. all you need now is some sopokes for your wheels lol

« Reply #4324 on: 29 March, 2011, 09:14:55 pm »

Retro-tastic!  :D

Oi! That's pretty much my entire stable you're talkin' abaht, there!

I had a lovely commute on this bike today - tyres swapped out for nimbus armadillo 1.5" and sadlle swapped out for a B17.  On returning home I have removed the cast iron bar-ends, taken 37mm off the ends of the bars and fitted some new grips from the spares box.  I have also adjusted the reach on the monster brake levers so I can actually operate them with my human-sized hands.

I was overtaken by a scooterist on the New Cross Road who slowed down as he passed, flipped up his visor and said "Nice bike".  For a moment I was unsure about possible sarcasm but when we stopped at the next lights he admired it again and guessed the year almost spot-on.