Author Topic: Help me buy a bike ...  (Read 3289 times)

Re: Help me buy a bike ...
« Reply #25 on: 26 January, 2024, 02:39:05 pm »
Congrats! All put together nicely? Take pics before you do a test ride and get it dirty :-)
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

Afasoas

« Reply #26 on: 29 January, 2024, 04:46:54 pm »
Congrats! All put together nicely? Take pics before you do a test ride and get it dirty :-)

:thumbsup:
Just getting it dressed first! Hopefully a pannier rack, small trunk bag, spare tubes and CO2 inflator will turn up in the next day or so.

Afasoas

« Reply #27 on: 03 February, 2024, 07:58:49 pm »
Still not taken the bike for it's inaugural ride. Waiting for a mudflap to arrive.

But, wheeling it around I noticed one of the rear brake pads rubbing, once each revolution. The fronts don't seem to do it. I was under the impression that these latest flavour hydraulic callipers wouldn't do that? Am I misguided?
I'll have a closer look at it, tomorror or Monday.

Afasoas

« Reply #28 on: 05 February, 2024, 11:01:15 am »
I've re-aligned the rear brake calliper. With a bit of perserverance successfully. In the end I cut an old gift card in half to use as a make shift calliper alignment tool, as pulling the brake to centre the calliper wasn't cutting it.
Just waiting for a set RawFlap's mudflaps and a couple of other small items to arrive. I suspect I'm only going to fit the front one, may fit the rear. Will see - I think the mudguard isn't quite long enough to make it viable.

Bike is nearly set for some long all day rides. Just got to get the rider's fitness improved!

I will grab some better photos, but for now here is a teaser. Excuse the state of the not-dining room. House is a work in progress.

« Reply #29 on: 09 February, 2024, 03:01:44 pm »
That's a lot of water bottles?
(Also I was trying to work out what the thing on the top tube immediately in front of the seat post is, before I realised that it is the clamp for the workstand....)

Afasoas

« Reply #30 on: 09 February, 2024, 11:23:03 pm »
That's a lot of water bottles?
(Also I was trying to work out what the thing on the top tube immediately in front of the seat post is, before I realised that it is the clamp for the workstand....)

I figure it's the best place to store them. I think it'll be a while before I do a ride long enough to need all three of them.
GPS is mounted - I was hoping the bracket I bought would strap to the handlebar stem, but it turns out that's got a square profile instead of a round one. So I've lost one of the front lights.
Mud flaps are fitted but I've decided the front one is too short. I'll get that remedied and then it's good to go.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #31 on: 10 February, 2024, 09:01:26 pm »
That does look quite spiffy. Congratulations!
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #32 on: 12 February, 2024, 09:44:28 am »
Congrats on your bike. Titanium is such a nice material, it barely ages, my 14 year old Van Nic looks almost new. Those look like neat welds too, better than on my bike.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

Afasoas

« Reply #33 on: 27 February, 2024, 10:54:01 am »
The welds do look really nicely finished.

Sadly there is an issue with the bike; the rear calliper alignment is off so it looks like the calliper flat mount needs refacing.
The good news is that I've been in-touch with Ribble customer service and they are arranging for their mobile mechanic to come out and resolve the problem, next week. Which strikes me as absolutely fantastic customer service.

« Reply #34 on: 27 February, 2024, 11:11:21 am »
Good luck. Their QC is questionable it seems. A mobile visit is certainly better than having to ship it back though! Still nervously awaiting mine - frames not in stock till 4th April. Several times have come close to cancelling and going to the local Trek store and buying a Domane they have in stock...