Author Topic: New and Improved Steerer Tube  (Read 4325 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
New and Improved Steerer Tube
« on: 23 March, 2013, 02:55:22 pm »
a while ago i acquired a folding bike, which, like most folding bikes was designed for upright riding position. the handlepost had a thermoplastic shim to accommodate T-shaped steerer/handlebars:

upright position combined with straight handlebars is sub-optimal for riding longer distances, so couple of years ago i've changed the original handlebars to "ergobars" and a standard a-head stem. as the inside diameter of the handlepost is 29.0 mm, the only bodge i could think of back then was to use quill to a-head stem adapter (which came with two shims itself - for 1" -> 1 1/8" stem and 22.0 -> 25.4 steerer) combined with a 25.4 -> 29.0 thermoplastic seatpost shim.

this solution worked quite well, but was not ideal - handlebars could not be quick-released and the whole assembly was unnecessarily complex. so recently i came up with a better idea 8)

all i needed was a 29.0mm donor seatpost and a pair of capable hands and machinery - which loadsabikes kindly offered, top man! :thumbsup:

after a quick sketch and posting the seatpost i had it back in less than 48hrs - fantastic!

the section of the seatpost was machined precisely to a 1 1/8" blueprint - that's what i call attention to detail!!

now having a steerer of the required spec it was a two minute job to install it. the new assembly feels stiffer, looks tidy and has a benefit of height adjustment and quick-release - what's not to like?! ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: New and Improved Steerer Tube
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2013, 02:58:59 pm »
Top botching  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2013, 03:14:12 pm »
Proper job!

« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2013, 03:56:39 pm »
Top botching  :thumbsup:

Botching >:( How very dare you ;)

« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2013, 06:10:27 pm »
Excellent work.  :thumbsup:

I'm suprised you didn't change that nasty quick release clamp while you were at it.  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #5 on: 23 March, 2013, 07:18:14 pm »
Excellent work.  :thumbsup:

I'm suprised you didn't change that nasty quick release clamp while you were at it.  :demon:

cheers, i see what you mean. the qr clamp does have a function and it's rear facing part is welded to the handlepost (which is not a problem with a dremel tool). handlepost's outer diameter near the clamp is 32.1 and the closest diameter seatpost clamps come at 31.8 (usually for 27.2 seatposts). so it would have to be reamed/sanded out by 0.3mm.
the replacement clamp must be wide enough (current one is 24mm) to distribute the force over wider area. if you have a suitable good looking qr clamp ("new and improved" ;)) in mind - i'm interested to hear and consider! :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 23 March, 2013, 07:56:09 pm »
This 'ere forum never ceases to amaze me with the range of skills that members have.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: 23 March, 2013, 08:17:58 pm »
Top work, all!

« Reply #8 on: 28 March, 2013, 05:26:07 pm »
Well thought out mod, ZigZag!

This was what I did to improve the riding position on a Dahon.  Always did intend to do the job properly with a bit of cutting and welding but hey ho!

« Reply #9 on: 30 March, 2013, 08:14:53 pm »
That must be some sort of record ;Dbut I've no idea what for :-\

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 30 March, 2013, 09:34:08 pm »
It's the bicycle equivalent of when you route an audio signal from output A to input B via every adaptor in the box because someone's run off with your A to B cable.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #11 on: 31 March, 2013, 10:13:56 am »
some impressive clampwork there, Russell. not sure how to simplify the setup if you want to keep the shifter and lights where they are now.