Author Topic: Ouch!!! (broken elbow)  (Read 5771 times)

Spikey

Ouch!!! (broken elbow)
« on: 16 July, 2008, 10:25:22 pm »
Fell off last tuesday on the way home from work.

Cause: sudden unexpected failure of front stearer(forks?) just below the headset. :o >:(

Result: nasty broken left elbow, which required metalwork surgery, 6 nights in hosital
Other injures: various roadrash, and 4 stitches to the fore-head despite wearing a correctly adjusted and apparently undammaged helmet.

PS. I hope its not too incoherent, but thats effect of trying to type one handed, while under the influence of enough pain killers to ....

Re: Ouch!!! (broken elbow)
« Reply #1 on: 16 July, 2008, 10:27:33 pm »
Ouch!

Hope you mend quickly - and have some strong painkillers!
Abnormal for Norfolk

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #2 on: 16 July, 2008, 10:32:27 pm »
Wow! That brings back memories!

Part of my four or five days before the surgery was being sent home by a junior consultant, before being called back the next day because I should never have been let out of sight of the hospital with such a break!

If there's one thing I can say it's that the metalwork means it's actually easier to get some proper rehab done on the arm - I was cycling again with 6-8 weeks I think (very gingerly). I'm assuming you haven't been landed in plaster because it's now all held in place by Meccano?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 16 July, 2008, 10:36:45 pm »
Ooh that's nasty! Glad you're relatively ok, hope you heal well.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 16 July, 2008, 10:46:00 pm »
Ouch!

Do we get to perv on your injury photos?  ;)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:13:04 pm »
Ouch!!
Hope it stops hurting soon and that you heal fast and well.

« Reply #6 on: 17 July, 2008, 08:37:50 am »
another ouch from me too hope it goes all right

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: 17 July, 2008, 08:47:58 am »
Oh bad luck Spikey, that sounds like a nasty fall. GWS.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:05:34 am »
Oh bloody hell, poor Spikey  :(

Get well soon snogs  :-*

Will there be any good scabs...?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:07:26 am »
we want to see your x-rays. Like blackpuddin said, your rehab will be faster. Enjoy the enforced rest, refresh yourself and ready yourself for the comeback. GWS :-)

« Reply #10 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:09:19 am »
Oh dear  :(

Hope your recovery goes swiftly.

May I be the first to ask what kind of fork it was?

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #11 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:17:17 am »
Resurgent memories here too get well soon keep taking the pills.

« Reply #12 on: 17 July, 2008, 10:31:58 am »
Ouch. Much sympathy. Painkillers are your friend.

I broke mine in Feb (but no metalwork or plaster needed as they seem loath to put joints in plaster these days if they can avoid it). It is healed now, just makes a loud cracking noise every now and again.

Spikey

« Reply #13 on: 17 July, 2008, 02:58:16 pm »
While in A&E:
Doctor: looks at xray,  "Do you want some more pain-killers?"
Me: "No its OK"
Doctor: takes another look at xray, "Thats a nasty break, are you sure you don't want any more pain-killers?"
Me: "No it dos't really hurt. Can I see the xray?", looks at xray, "Ow! I think I will have the painkillers!"

Spikey

« Reply #14 on: 17 July, 2008, 03:13:56 pm »
I'm assuming you haven't been landed in plaster because it's now all held in place by Meccano?
I'm told they drilled a hole in the bone and tied the end back on with wires. Its currently in a 'backslab'
plaster which keeps the arm imobolie at an aukwardly straight angle while allowing it to swell up. I have to keep it elevated above the heart, which means I walking like a dalek, which is very tiring on the shoulder muscles which I convieniently also dammaged while falling off.

Still its a bit less painfull today.

« Reply #15 on: 17 July, 2008, 03:32:38 pm »
Ouch and sympathy.

What sort of fork was it? make, model and material, please.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #16 on: 17 July, 2008, 03:37:01 pm »
I have a mostly desk-bound job, and for a while I sat with my arm on a high pile of cushions at work (and also on the sofa at home). It helped with the swelling a lot; before that my hand felt like it was about to explode. Not much use if you have to walk around a lot though.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #17 on: 17 July, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »
While in A&E:
Doctor: takes another look at xray, "Thats a nasty break, are you sure you don't want any more pain-killers?"
Me: "No it dos't really hurt. Can I see the xray?", looks at xray, "Ow! I think I will have the painkillers!"

;D

Remarkably reminiscent too - hadn't really damaged any nerves meaning there wasn't any pain, but they were most insitent I get some morphine. After getting some I couldn't help but agree. Yay for morphine!

You got more info on your break than I managed. I know part is held by wires and part by a metal plate (split the bone top and bottom and broke a bit off the joint). But that's it.

Just think of the scars. Chicks dig scars!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 17 July, 2008, 03:50:32 pm »
While in A&E:

Reminds me of my young brother who had a wrist/forearm fracture at the age of 9.
He didn't cry when it happened.
He accepted  the reason I wouldn't give him a drink of water and didn't cry.
He travelled to hosptal #1 in neighbour's car and didn't cry.
Hosptal #1 said they couldn't trat him and called a taxi to hospital #2. He didn't cry.
We waited ages for taxi, watching many black cabs pass nearby; he complained about the wait but didn't cry.
At hospital #2 painkillers were offered and he was X-rayed.
He saw the X-rays
and cried...

« Reply #19 on: 18 July, 2008, 09:53:55 am »

Good luck Spikey. Looks hard work, both physically and mentally.
Looking forward to seeing you on the road for next year's SR.

Spikey

« Reply #20 on: 18 July, 2008, 01:44:23 pm »

Spikey

« Reply #21 on: 07 August, 2008, 03:19:23 pm »
Had plaster remover 2 weeks ago. Feeling a little better, but lacking in strength and very limited flexibility.
Can't ride a bike yet (or drive), although I did do  a spinning class (somewhat one handed and mainly seated). 
One thing that bothers me is the complete lack of physiotherapy given. The hospital treatment ammounted to: "we've fixed it, go away and come back in 2 months"

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #22 on: 07 August, 2008, 03:21:14 pm »
It'll get stronger as it gets used more, I guess.  It sounds particularly nasty though; I hope you recover fully soon.

« Reply #23 on: 07 August, 2008, 03:27:43 pm »
One thing that bothers me is the complete lack of physiotherapy given. The hospital treatment ammounted to: "we've fixed it, go away and come back in 2 months"

I found that with my injury they didn't understand us fit healthy folk - they're used to overweight couch potatoes so having it "mended" is sufficient.

I pushed like made with my shoulder and they relented and gave me some physio - although when I then saw the real sports physio he thought I hadn't had anything.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: 07 August, 2008, 03:31:52 pm »
While in A&E:

Reminds me of my young brother who had a wrist/forearm fracture at the age of 9.
He didn't cry when it happened.
He accepted  the reason I wouldn't give him a drink of water and didn't cry.
He travelled to hosptal #1 in neighbour's car and didn't cry.
Hosptal #1 said they couldn't trat him and called a taxi to hospital #2. He didn't cry.
We waited ages for taxi, watching many black cabs pass nearby; he complained about the wait but didn't cry.
At hospital #2 painkillers were offered and he was X-rayed.
He saw the X-rays
and cried...

That's actually quite moving and reads like a poem

(Apologies for digression and much sympathy to the OP)