Author Topic: Joining a gym  (Read 5560 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Joining a gym
« on: 28 August, 2008, 10:34:03 am »
I think I might have to join a gym.  I hate the whole body fascism gym-bunny thing but I also don’t like the fact that I’m getting fatter again.  Previously I lost weight through a mixture of cycling and swimming – I used to swim three lunchtimes a week at a pool round the corner from where I worked.  This really helped in the run up to the 2007 Etape.

Unfortunately we moved offices in early June, too far from the pool I used to use and there is no pool near my new workplace.  Since then weight has being going back on rapidly.  An obvious answer would be to swim before and/or after work but the logistics of that are poo and I suspect I wouldn’t do it.

There’s a cheap (£28 per month) and fairly basic gym round the corner from the new workplace and I’m considering joining up, just so that I can do something exercisey at lunchtimes.  I’ve thought about running but I’m in Southwark and the stop-start nature of the busy streets round here wouldn’t make for great running.  I do see people running on the South Bank on the Thames Path but it’s very busy, particularly at lunchtimes and I find a lot of the runners there to be f*cking rude barging their way through the crowds.

Exercise before and after work isn’t really an option other than the cycling I’m already doing, as I already get home around 7pm at the earliest.  I’m also not getting up to do anything before going to work.

I don’t want to do any more cycling than I currently am (on track to easily exceed 8,000 miles this year, way more than my previous best total last year of 6,700 miles)

So barring any good ideas anyone else might have*, lunchtimes at the cheap gym seems the way to go – rowing, cross trainer, a bit of running on the treadmill and spinning classes from time to time.

*Giving up beer, although obvious, is not an option either people.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Joining a gym
« Reply #1 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:38:44 am »
Eat less?
Have regular colonics?
Commute on a Yuba Mundo?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:39:57 am »
Not sure what you are expecting to here. Lose weight by burning more calories that you consume. Keep weight stable by burning what you consume. If you don't want to give up beer well I assume you don't want to give up any other food treats either. You don't want to ride more and can't find a pool to swim in like you used to. So it seems that your idea of the gym is a sensible one. Might not be so bad as you think. Is there really a fascism gym-bunny thing in your gym ? Or is it in your head. There isn't in mine.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:41:35 am »
Yes, save the £28 any buy a trailer. Fill it with half-bricks and then use it for commuting.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:49:45 am »
Eat less?
Have regular colonics?
Commute on a Yuba Mundo?

I’ve already decided to eat a bit less and try to eat a bit more sensibly – in the long term that’s what will probably keep the weight off but in the shorter term I want to exercise a bit more.

With all the crap I carry, I might as well be on a Yuba (ridiculous exaggeration, but it feels like that some days)

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #5 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:51:59 am »
Not sure what you are expecting to here. Lose weight by burning more calories that you consume. Keep weight stable by burning what you consume. If you don't want to give up beer well I assume you don't want to give up any other food treats either. You don't want to ride more and can't find a pool to swim in like you used to. So it seems that your idea of the gym is a sensible one. Might not be so bad as you think. Is there really a fascism gym-bunny thing in your gym ? Or is it in your head. There isn't in mine.

It might be in my head, never used a gym before – my (probably wrong) perceptions are coloured by some of the people I know who use gyms, maybe they aren’t representative.

It’s also a good excuse to get out at lunchtimes rather than sit at my desk all day, staring at the computer screen like a lab-rabbit waiting for the Vosene.

I’ll keep it up as long as it remains enjoyable – the cheapie gym doesn’t require a long term contract so I can leave and or rejoin fairly easily.

I do miss the swimming though as I really liked that.

« Reply #6 on: 28 August, 2008, 11:00:17 am »
I believe  I used to have the same view as you do. I had to start using a gym for my rehabilitation after my crash, I wouldn't walk properly if I didn't. I was surprised by the different types of people there and that no one seemed to bat an eyelid when I moved wussy weights on the on the machines with my chicken legs many many times. That was a council run gym. It closed so now I go to a larger 'chain' gym. I don't feel out of place still.  Like you I enjoy it for the sake of getting out and doing something useful. I don't use it for weight management as such, more toning, control and strength in my hip and core (rolling around on the Swiss Ball).

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 28 August, 2008, 11:03:22 am »
All human life is there.  Be of good chill (or hide in an ipod bubble).

I still rate running as the bestest way to shed pies, though.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 28 August, 2008, 11:07:45 am »
I use a gym for core and upper body work. I go first thing in the morning (8am), three times a week. At that time, I'm on my todd upstairs on the weights, and a couple of old dears on the treadmills downstairs.

The gym is useless for calorie burning directly, but good for building calorie burning muscles. Well toned muscles burn lots of calories, especially big muscles like your abs and back muscles. Use a Swiss Ball to sit at your desk with so that your core is having to support you all day, and you'll burn loads of calories even sat at your desk. This is surprisingly tiring at first.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9 on: 28 August, 2008, 12:16:49 pm »
I do see people running on the South Bank on the Thames Path but it’s very busy, particularly at lunchtimes and I find a lot of the runners there to be f*cking rude barging their way through the crowds.

Aren't they just! I always walk along there with elbows pointing out - if they run into my elbow, that's their problem.

I've been looking for a pool in/near Southwark myself and the best candidate I can find is St George's on the Highway - too far to walk at lunchtime but only a few minutes by bike from the office, though I'm not keen on the idea of leaving my bike unattended in that area, which is why I haven't got around to trying it yet.

There are also a couple of Virgin Active gyms with pools locally, but they're tiny (17m!) and I bet probably very crowded. Not my idea of fun.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10 on: 28 August, 2008, 12:29:36 pm »
When I used to go to the gym as a young lad I didn't seem to gain any benefit.
My childhood mates did, both developed huge upper bodies and one developed all over.  He has kept his basic shape to this day and is still an avid rider when he gets time.
The other went to seed somewhat as he joined the job downunder and  became a lover of the amber nectar.

I found a lot more benefit from general exercise or manual labour.  Pushing weights just didn't suit my body type / muscle type.

Cycling on the other hand has really increased my muscle strength in my legs.  I can now kick a lot better while swimming but I will never be a sprinter.

My mate that developed into a mini Arnold is a pure fast twitch fibre guy.  He could out sprint me on the bike until his asthma kicked in and he collapsed into a heap of wheezing. 

Do you know what sort of muscle type you have?  The only reason I ask is it may make a difference in what you can achieve / obtain via the gym route and therefore may change your ideas / ideals / goals as a result.

Mine, all those years ago, were wrong.  ;D

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #11 on: 28 August, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »
Do you have a partner?

Sex I believe is great excercise and sends lots of happy type drugs round the body. :thumbsup:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #12 on: 28 August, 2008, 12:40:30 pm »
Not lying down in isn't.  Best calorie burn is always from loadbearing stuff. 

Install a swing.   :thumbsup:
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #13 on: 28 August, 2008, 12:44:25 pm »
Do you have a partner?

Sex I believe is great excercise and sends lots of happy type drugs round the body. :thumbsup:

You sound as though you are waiting to find out, Lynx. ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #14 on: 28 August, 2008, 12:45:14 pm »
Not lying down in isn't.  Best calorie burn is always from loadbearing stuff. 

Install a swing.   :thumbsup:

Well take a more active role  :o

Oh and I would recomend a swing unless you have very good rythum.  Making a mistake can be painful.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #15 on: 28 August, 2008, 12:46:16 pm »
Do you have a partner?

You sound as though you are waiting to find out, Lynx. ;)

With regulator, I have taken up his role ;)  Hello sailor  :-*

cometworm

« Reply #16 on: 28 August, 2008, 01:22:08 pm »
I use a gym for core and upper body work. I go first thing in the morning (8am), three times a week. At that time, I'm on my todd upstairs on the weights, and a couple of old dears on the treadmills downstairs.

The gym is useless for calorie burning directly, but good for building calorie burning muscles. Well toned muscles burn lots of calories, especially big muscles like your abs and back muscles. Use a Swiss Ball to sit at your desk with so that your core is having to support you all day, and you'll burn loads of calories even sat at your desk. This is surprisingly tiring at first.

Agree with this - putting on some more muscle won't harm your cycling if it strengthens your core, and the increased lean mass will burn more energy even at rest. Get Joe Friel's "cyclist's training bible" and use that as a guide to strength training.

I live in the area and quite like the Soho Gyms (one in Borough, one just off the Cut b/t Southwark and Waterloo); they're not 28 quid a month but they're pretty cheap. Running along the river is fine if you go early or late, but otherwise it's a touristy hell. If you can keep off the river until Westminster Bridge it's not so bad along the Albert Embankment to Lambeth Bridge and then back along the Victoria Embankment.

« Reply #17 on: 28 August, 2008, 01:49:04 pm »
Council run gyms are great. I pay 40 quid a month for unlimited use of all the council gyms and swimming pools in Tower Hamlets.

I just use it for swimming, and occassionally using a weights machine.  It's about 3.50 to go swimming, so as long as I go more than 3 times a week, I'm quids in.

Tiger

« Reply #18 on: 28 August, 2008, 06:05:12 pm »
Gyms are great. And can have a dramatic effect once you break through the 'endorphin high' and strt to really work muscles. I built some really good legs that way a few years ago that enabled me to develop my cycling properly.
The other thing that is really good in gyms is classes. Apart from the motivational aspect I find that the sight of young girls with good bods sweating freely in lycra and contorting in front of me is inspirational.

Chris S

« Reply #19 on: 28 August, 2008, 07:47:57 pm »
The other thing that is really good in gyms is classes. Apart from the motivational aspect I find that the sight of young girls with good bods sweating freely in lycra and contorting in front of me is inspirational.

::-)

There's nothing more distressing to the eye than a sweaty bloke at the back of a gym class with a hard-on in his lycra...  :sick:

Regulator's MMV of course...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #20 on: 28 August, 2008, 08:00:08 pm »
If he's able to maintain a hardon he's not working hard enough.  Hang a kettlebell off it and tell him to run round the block.

« Reply #21 on: 29 August, 2008, 04:30:40 pm »

There's nothing more distressing to the eye than a sweaty bloke at the back of a gym class with a hard-on in his lycra...  :sick:

Coffee on keyboard moment. I was poncing around on the Swiss Ball yesterday and an old friend of mine, a former cow-orker, who once was  a Proj Man. of mine whom I'd have just started to reacquaint myself since joining this gym,  came in to wait for the spinning class. We chatted and I said I intend to start them in the autumn as I do fewer road miles. I added that I would feel out of place with mostly women in the class. No she said, put your cycling shorts on and be at the front, you'll be fine.

« Reply #22 on: 29 August, 2008, 04:58:31 pm »
I've been a member of a gym in the past, but only as a last resort. After years of various sports, my knees aren't in the best of shape. I usually run after work in winter (yes, yes, some of you guys are hard core, but I just don't like riding when it's pitch black, freezing cold and p!ssing with rain!) so cycling is out.

The gym was the most depressing place I'd ever been to. Some nights I'd swim, others I'd lift weights. I hated it. Full of the usual bunny types who only ever went to pose.

Fortunately, I ony ever get a bit of spam from the gym now..... I know others are harrassed constantly, but as far as I'm concerned - health being on your side - just open your front door and do some stuff. It will do you more good and cost nothing......
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Maladict

« Reply #23 on: 01 September, 2008, 01:06:11 am »

I think that can be beaten.

I'll raise you bloke with a hard-on strolling into the changing room (presumably after his shower, I didn't ask where he'd just been) naked.

I'd forgotten about that incident until you reminded me.  It's been, what, 10 years?  Thanks.  ::-)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: 01 September, 2008, 08:46:51 am »

I think that can be beaten.

I'll raise you bloke with a hard-on strolling into the changing room (presumably after his shower, I didn't ask where he'd just been) naked.

I'd forgotten about that incident until you reminded me.  It's been, what, 10 years?  Thanks.  ::-)

I think we need a new thread for this particular strand of the conversation, no?

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk