Author Topic: One stop chop shop for cancer  (Read 1279 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
One stop chop shop for cancer
« on: 15 September, 2008, 02:06:24 pm »
My little brother managed to get onto the front page of his local rag today in ChristChurch, New Zealand

press.co.nz - Get the latest local, national and world news from Christchurch's daily newspaper

Their new initiative looks really good. Must forward this to some cancer surgeons I know.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

border-rider

Re: One stop chop shop for cancer
« Reply #1 on: 15 September, 2008, 02:15:40 pm »
Great idea

Both Mrs MV and I have been through the 3-stage process (though mine was only 2 cos it was deemed OK by the consultant) and whilst potential skin cancers are prioritised in the system, it would be vastly more efficient to have it all done at the same time.

I had the experience of going to a locum GP with a suspect squamous cell carcinoma.  It was pretty obvious I knew more bout it than she did

"Ah, tell me all you know about squamous cell carcinomas" ;)

Luckily I knew it wasn't a big issue either way...

rae

Re: One stop chop shop for cancer
« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2008, 04:15:29 pm »
I had the experience of going to a locum GP with a suspect squamous cell carcinoma. 

Ever since I went to a GP with blood pouring from, ah, somewhere it shouldn't and he fobbed me off, I've not really trusted GPs.   Needless to say, I didn't really approve of that answer, self-referred to a handycam wielding surgeon and had the full investigation done. 

His comment was: "I've cut "this" and "this" out, you're absolutely fine, if you had waited a few years, we would have had a very different conversation indeed".

YMMV.