Author Topic: Hardtail MTB trike  (Read 3679 times)

border-rider

Hardtail MTB trike
« on: 16 May, 2008, 01:27:50 pm »
On the classifieds ebay thread

I'm fascinated by this.  I doubt very much it's actually based on an XTC composite frame, but the conversion kit looks interesting.  And what's going on with the handlebar stem ?

Re: Hardtail MTB trike
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2008, 01:30:59 pm »
On the classifieds ebay thread

I'm fascinated by this.  I doubt very much it's actually based on an XTC composite frame, but the conversion kit looks interesting.  And what's going on with the handlebar stem ?

Looking at the larger photo, I think it is a XTC Composite frame.  :o

Edit: Look at the shape of the bottom bracket area.
Don't ask.

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2008, 01:33:30 pm »
If it is (and like Luke, I think it is the composite frame), it might be worth splitting for bits.  I think the stem has an extra adaptor to lengthen the steerer, plus a high rise ahead stem on top.

It looks like the conversion kit is connected to the seatpost rather than the rear stays (good idea if it is carbon) with an extra beam running across above the rear axle.

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2008, 01:37:18 pm »
Blimey.  A carbon tricycle :o

If it is (and like Luke, I think it is the composite frame), it might be worth splitting for bits.

Maybe, but it's so barking that it would be a pity to split it.

Perhaps I should buy it and put it with my collection of chocolate teapots and rubber cranks.  And piscine bicycles, of course.

« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2008, 08:12:32 pm »
The axle is by Parker, who I think are in Norfolk.  I don't think they are exactly lightweight, but they are comparatvely cheap.  See dealers here -
http://www.bikecare.co.uk/tribike.html
http://www.highlandbikes.com/products.php?plid=m2b31s124p148&tbv=PARKER_PRODUCT_DEVELOPMENTS_TriBike_Converter_ACCESSORIES_Miscellaneous_Items

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2008, 08:27:00 pm »
Interesting.  I wondered if it was one of those

So it's a fairly decent MTB, with reasonable wheels, but with a low-end conversion kit.

Is it single-wheel drive then ?

« Reply #6 on: 17 May, 2008, 09:30:43 am »
Is it single-wheel drive then ?
I believe so.  If you look at the pictures, it is hard to tell exactly but it looks as if the righthand shaft just has a nut to hold the bearings in place with no connection to the cassette.