Author Topic: 12 February Kent Coast  (Read 9510 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: 12/13 February
« Reply #50 on: 11 February, 2011, 09:30:21 am »
Quarter past one?  That is crazy.  Sorry to hear it.
Getting there...

« Reply #51 on: 11 February, 2011, 10:54:25 am »
Quarter past one?  That is crazy.

Quite, 0115Z isn't all that late, although it is kind of annoying then having to spend an hour cycling home before you can crash out! ;D

I think I've both gone to work, and left work, at every hour around the clock, at one time or another.  Travelling home, when it's after sunrisen is a little off putting, especially when it isn't because of a FNRttC. :-\

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to change my mind, and give this ride a miss.  I'm actually very tired, although more through an inability to get a decent nights sleep for the last few nights, than working excessively late, and I really really need to do some work around the house, which I've managed to put off for the last three weeks, through going cycling at the weekend.

Since I also seem to be able to bugger up my knees quite easily at the moment, a weekend without a 60+ miles ride is probably a good idea, or I may not be able to do the March FNRttC, and the Cheam & Morden Hilly 50, which would be annoying.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #52 on: 11 February, 2011, 11:00:33 am »
am also borderline, woudl love to do it but my chest infection isnt quite cleared up and I dont want to do anything which might make it worse again.  Am going to try a pootle this afternoon and see what happens..

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #53 on: 11 February, 2011, 12:36:35 pm »
Latest news:

Mrs. Hall has a snotty cold and is unlikely to attend. We'll see.

I'll be there, as (hopefully) will be my mate Jan, veteran of the odd FNRTTC.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: 12 February Kent Coast
« Reply #54 on: 11 February, 2011, 01:21:08 pm »
Dropping like flies, they are :(
Getting there...

« Reply #55 on: 11 February, 2011, 03:48:42 pm »
Looks like it won't be too cold tomorrow - temperatures just scraping into double figures.
Doesn't look like there's a major threat of much rain either - maybe just the occasional shower.
Wind, as is usual, will be behind us.

I think most of you have my mobile - anyone who doesn't and would like it,  PM me and I'll forward it to you.

Time, I think, to name names:

Clarion
Butterfly
Wowbagger
Tim Hall (+1?)
Mice
Adam
Mrs Hall  :(
Peliroja  :(
TimO  :(
Mike  :(
Yours Truly

and a brace of last minute deciders standing shyly in the wings.

Any more takers?

08:30 depart from Starbucks adjacent to Cutty Sark Gardens - Whitstable 60 miles later.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #56 on: 11 February, 2011, 03:54:55 pm »
Sounds like fun :)
Getting there...

« Reply #57 on: 11 February, 2011, 06:35:07 pm »
deffo out now, sorry folks.  Went for a pootle this afternoon and my chest isnt up to it without using the car / train to get there, which kind of defeats the object..  :(

« Reply #58 on: 11 February, 2011, 06:39:07 pm »
deffo out now, sorry folks.  Went for a pootle this afternoon and my chest isnt up to it without using the car / train to get there, which kind of defeats the object..  :(

Shame, Mike - it would've been good to see you. GWS.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #59 on: 11 February, 2011, 07:01:40 pm »
Ah well. 

On the positive side, you can remove the query smiley against my name, as I'm all sorted. 

Depending upon my progress through the northern suburb badlands, I'll probably be crossing the bridge after Wow.   Therefore don't worry about waiting for me if I've not got to Asda in Greenhithe around the same time, as you know I'll catch you up.  :P

Besides, it's not as if I don't know the route.........
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #60 on: 11 February, 2011, 07:02:44 pm »
Yay!

See you tomorrow.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Kent coast
« Reply #61 on: 12 February, 2011, 08:52:39 am »
Well I'm on a train but it isn't going anywhere yet. Moist in Saarfend.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Kent coast
« Reply #62 on: 12 February, 2011, 12:35:32 pm »
Nine of us are at elevenses.

« Reply #63 on: 12 February, 2011, 04:41:23 pm »
I hope it's going well!

I went to bed just after midnight with a tentative plan to get up early and join you today on solo. However, I overslept and have only just woken up now, when Woolly got back from work. 

I must have been a bit tired.   :-[

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Kent coast
« Reply #64 on: 12 February, 2011, 07:39:12 pm »
A very good day's ride. A pity you couldn't join us, Peli, but it sounds as though you needed your sleep. The weather was very kind to us and I got me legs out in the afternoon. I came back via the Tilbury ferry which was inundated with yoof with bmx bikes who also rode to Tilbury for the train.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #65 on: 12 February, 2011, 11:29:54 pm »
A grand day out.  Thanks to Jurek for leading so well, and for all the folk who came along.

Can't stop to give any kind of ride report just now, but it was magnificent.
Getting there...

« Reply #66 on: 13 February, 2011, 05:21:40 pm »
What started out as hues of uninspiring grey, gradually improved by lunchtime, and by the time we’d shed the last of the badlands of Sittingbourne, the final twenty or so miles of this ride were conducted under azure blue skies with the falling sun casting long, mottled shadows through pollarded poplars across the lanes which were our path. I cannot fault that.

Eight of us left Cutty Sark Gardens not much before 09:00.  Nice to see an unexpected appearance from  His Leggship who accompanied us for part of the ride. A short wait at  Greenhithe Asda swelled our numbers to ten following Wow and Adam having hitched themselves a lift over the Dartford Crossing.

The first lumpy parts of this ride, as we descended and ascended into Northfleet, saw two of our participants fall prey to unrelated mechanicals which caused their driven wheels to stop. Half an hour or so passed and mass intervention by Tim Hall, His Leggship and Adam saw to it that Mice and Andrij were on their way™ and able to continue with the ride. Shortly thereafter His Leggship bade us farewell as we headed towards lunch in Rochester.

Andy’s Snacks delivered lunch in a wholesome fashion as is usual. With Kieron, the proprietor, being as hospitable as ever. By the time we left, an hour or so later, the first bits of blue were starting to show themselves in the sky, and increasingly stayed with us for the remainder of the day.

A little route improvisation was called for as we left Chatham on account of JCBs having made Globe Lane mostly disappear. Three or four miles later we ditched the dual carriageways and were once again back on traffic-lite country lanes. By the time we reached Boxted Lane, to the east of Upchurch, the sun had made its presence felt to the extent that a stop was called for, to enable layers to be peeled off, and legs to be exposed. :o

The gruntiest hill of this ride (Oak Hill – just before Sittingbourne) was tackled with aplomb by all following which, (after Sittingbourne) the ride became replete with sublime panoramas, and nothing much other than soaking up the scenery to bother any rider.

The facefull of unidentified liquid I was the recipient of, and the thrown bottle Butterfly received from the occupants of an oncoming car, as we crossed Graveney Marshes, will not in any way diminish or mar the pleasure I and, I think, all others  had from this ride. The occupants of said car will go to hell. With poo on their heads.

Final refreshments were had at The Whitstable Waterfront Club, where Faye (the manageress) came over to exchange pleasantries. Shortly thereafter, I believe there was something of a sprint to catch the 17.39 to Victoria. My understanding is the train was caught by all with (not many) minutes to spare. For my part, I stayed in Whitstable overnight.

This morning I set out to ride back. A stiff breeze made itself known as I crossed the marshes at Seasalter. I reached The Sportsman, turned the corner and WALLOP!  It was as if I’d hit a brick wall of headwind. I struggled to get the MPHs into double figures as I made my way towards Faversham. There was no way I was going to attempt the ride back to Londres in this headwind! :(
Southeastern Train Operating Company got my money. My bike and I got a ride on one of their trains.

Thanks to the OP for looking for a ride – I hope all who came enjoyed it as much as I did. Given the time of year and evolving countryside, it’ll not be too long before I’m heading down this way again.

Washing machine is currently removing The Skog of Kent from the Lycra. Wish I had a machine for doing the same for the bike.

Mice

« Reply #67 on: 13 February, 2011, 08:04:54 pm »
Another Great Ride!  I think this is a my longest ride so far - a bit over 70 miles (not sure of size of bit!).  Great company, great fun and a brilliant route.  Even the sun came to say hello. Thank you so much for all your help, encouragement, trike diagnostics, chain repairs, key carrying,  dietary advice and general laughter.  So pleased that the mechanical issues were kindly fixed so I could complete the trip.  I have some pics and will try to upload them ...  Greatly look forward to the next one.   Oh, and I did ride home from the station!!  Unlike last week when I was so pulverised I could hardly pick my feet up let alone my wheels! Hmm. Now to upload the photos.  I think they may have to go to a url first...

Meanwhile - a big thanks again to all of you. M

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: Kent coast
« Reply #68 on: 13 February, 2011, 08:42:20 pm »
... the Tilbury ferry which was inundated with yoof with bmx bikes who also rode to Tilbury for the train.
Were they following you to find out where their presents come from?
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #69 on: 13 February, 2011, 08:52:35 pm »
Not a lot to add to the above!

A very nice day out, which involved an early start to do some route checking to Dartford, and then basically on auto-pilot, just enjoying the sights, including spotting in Gravesend what turns out to be the biggest Sikh temple outside of India.

Although I didn't expose my legs, I was in short sleeves for some of the ride, which must be a record for February.

94 & a bit miles in total, and I didn't feel tired, and nothing ached today either.  Although I must admit I haven't yet got round to cleaning the bike, which is laden down with several kg of dirt.

Thanks Jurek and everyone else.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #70 on: 13 February, 2011, 08:58:53 pm »
Great ride, great company, great write up.

Mice, to post pictures you'll need them hosted online somewhere first.  I use Picasa Web albums, which gets you umpty GB of online space. Run Picasa on your computer to index and carry out basic editing. Select the ones you want to upload and shazzam! It's all done.  To show the photos in a post, right click on the online version, copy image location.

Click the photo icon up there ^ and paste the url. Like this:

To link to an online album, there's a "link to this album" button, which spews forth a url, which can be pasted, Like this

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #71 on: 13 February, 2011, 09:04:04 pm »
Some great photos - some of things I hadn't spotted (like the Co-op, the curious last pic, and the detailing on (I presume) the bridge at Rochester), and some of things I had (Butterfly, for instance). 

I see you posted a pic of the perpetrator of the Great Breakfast Theft. ;D
Getting there...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #72 on: 13 February, 2011, 09:51:48 pm »
Some great photos - some of things I hadn't spotted (like the Co-op,
Faversham High Street. I saw it and thought of you. And the Rochdale Pioneers.

the curious last pic,
Just along from the Co-op, on the same house as the BFI plaque. In fact there were two (presumabaly) Madonna onna donkey, parts of the other one can be seen under the film plaque.

and the detailing on (I presume) the bridge at Rochester),
Correct.

and some of things I had (Butterfly, for instance). 
I think you noticed her some time ago.

I see you posted a pic of the perpetrator of the Great Breakfast Theft. ;D
'e's going dahn.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #73 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:26:38 pm »
Sounds like a great day out, oiks of Kent notwithstanding. Whitstable's always great on FNRs, would be fun to do it in daylight some time.

Mice

« Reply #74 on: 13 February, 2011, 11:19:59 pm »
Great ride, great company, great write up.

Mice, to post pictures aelect the ones you want to upload and shazzam! It's all done.  To show the photos in a post, right click on the online version, copy image location.

Here are my pics.  Nothing like the quality of Tim H's but here they are (I think) anyway!  I havent quite sussed the "shazzam" of the neat link either (yet).  Regardless of my pics - it was a really great day.

M

https://picasaweb.google.com/108733694586194797062/YACFWhitstable12thFeb2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCLfSwZzmrOLqAw&feat=directlink