Author Topic: 10 greatest cycling roads in the world  (Read 1764 times)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
Re: 10 greatest cycling roads in the world
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2011, 10:16:30 pm »
I'm really surprised that the B7076 from Eccelfechen to Abington never made it to the short list.  Although, it could be because the true joy of that road is only realised during a wet night ride.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2011, 10:20:14 pm »
 ???
What's the matter with him?  Pershore Road 8 am.  You can't get more fun than that!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2011, 06:20:52 am »
Hm, I wasn't too impressed with the road from Albania to Macedonia (maybe I should have done it the other way round), the road towards it (mountain road) from Tirana to the border was way more spectacular.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2011, 01:13:32 am »
And Highway 1 in Oz (under various names) that goes across and up and round and back?

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2011, 01:34:54 am »
I'm really surprised that the B7076 from Eccelfechen to Abington never made it to the short list.  Although, it could be because the true joy of that road is only realised during a wet night ride.

Don't tempt fate, there'a a 600 coming up on there. For sheer character-building I don't think you can beat the A588 road to Cockerham. It features on 50, 100 mile and 12 hour events and is known as 'The Road of Broken Dreams,' If it's still it's fine, any wind from any direction always seems unhelpful. It features in the 3 Coasts 600.
Google Maps

Si_Co

« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2011, 07:58:22 am »
For sheer character-building I don't think you can beat the A588 road to Cockerham. Google Maps

I friggin hate that road, and these days if i want to go to Glasson Dock I'll run out to Garstang via Nateby before looping back round, that stretch across the plain from the picnic site to Cockerham is soul destroying

LEE

« Reply #7 on: 24 May, 2011, 09:27:38 am »
South America, and the Andes in particular, is full of hard-core, thrilling roads. One of my favourites is the mountain roller-coaster running from Cusco (the gateway to Machu Picchu) down towards the mysterious, fascinating Nazca Lines which are ancient geoglyphs of spiders, monkeys, hummingbirds and long lines scraped into the arid surface of the Nazca desert.

Yes...yes...Alistair, but have you done the 45 mile "Tour de Andover" (gateway to lots of lovely country pubs) ?