Author Topic: Please Help Me With My PC  (Read 12278 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Please Help Me With My PC
« Reply #100 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:24:21 pm »
OK, that's a bit more info.

Here's a bit of history:
XP as-shipped could not play DVDs.
Because MS would have needed to pay license fees for the mpeg codecs.

You needed to install a 3-rd party DVD player which would install the necessary codecs.

That would enable not only the 3-rd party player to play DVDs, but also Windows Media Player.

So install a DVD player and all will be well.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #101 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:25:58 pm »
 Clarion's PC also isn't playing YouTube sound.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

border-rider

« Reply #102 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:26:14 pm »
The problem there is not hardware, it's the lack of a decoder - a piece of software. XP is a real PITA in that it doesn't come with a DVD decoder. You have to acquire one, or update one you have to work properly

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-pictures/windows-media-cannot-play-dvd-because-a-compatible/64effaa4-8acc-4371-869d-77c46374c9e4

edit: X-post

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #103 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:32:09 pm »
Clarion's PC also isn't playing YouTube sound.

border-rider

« Reply #104 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:35:59 pm »
The specific error message he posted is about a missing DVD codec. The issue with Youtube playback,  might also well be a codec problem in XP

Piling in and messing with hardware drivers may be premature.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #105 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:38:05 pm »
PB Claz, check if you can get any sound at all from your PC.  It won't be a codec problem if you can't even get a beep out of it.  Or will it?  I don't think so.

border-rider

« Reply #106 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:40:56 pm »
The specific error message is that there is no DVD codec, so whether there is or isn't a hardware problem, there is a codec problem.  That's all my post was addressing.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #107 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:45:17 pm »
Fair enough.  Personally I'd get a squeak out of the computer first, but fix the codec thing first if you like, PB Claz.

« Reply #108 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:47:42 pm »
Baggsy, it is Clarion's problem, not mine  :)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #109 on: 05 February, 2012, 11:01:33 pm »
Sorry, I need a new driver for my brain.  :-[

« Reply #110 on: 05 February, 2012, 11:03:49 pm »
And I need to check what the predictive crap software is doing   :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #111 on: 06 February, 2012, 12:27:06 am »
It's probably worth mentioning that the VLC media player bypasses the standard windows codecs, so is something of a swiss army knife[1] for codec issues.  That said, if there's no sound at all, it's probably more complex than that...

[1] In the best tool for the job being the one you actually have to hand sense.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #112 on: 08 February, 2012, 05:49:02 pm »
When you've been successful, can I beg for the old memory module for my charitable good causes old lame pc upgrades please?  Happy to pay for it of course.

Posted.
Getting there...

« Reply #113 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:32:07 pm »
You are a star.  Thanks very much Mr. C  :thumbsup:

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #114 on: 16 February, 2012, 12:17:23 am »
But now I don't seem to have any audio output.  Windows says I don't have a decoder or something.
Any clues?

Been away ski-ing so just catching up and I've had a similar problem, so check this...

Go to the root directory ( c:/ ) via My Computer and right click on C:/ then <Hardware> tab, select your CD/DVD player and click on properties.
Then, in the <Properties> tab for your CD/DVD device, check that the "Digital CD Playback" option is unchecked.

i.e. set your CD/DVD player to analogue settings (unless you feed your PC to HiFi audio equipment with a DAC/digital amp...)

It took me ages to find this out after I'd re-installed Win Media Player 11 updates... Some codec somewhere had over-ridden this. Or some numptie when they (ok, it probably was me) re-setup the system. You need the analogue signal setting to send output through the PC's sound card/devices. The digital output option will divert it direct to an output connector (such as an HDMI or S/PDIF terminal) bypassing all the PC's own sound devices.
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #115 on: 16 February, 2012, 06:57:38 am »
Ah.  Handy hint.  I'll give that a go.  Thanks. :)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #116 on: 16 February, 2012, 03:59:39 pm »
Ooh - here's an interesting can.  What is it?  Worms?  OK. *reaches for opener*

I have an HTC android phone (can't remember the model, though Desire S seems familiar).  I was just poking in the revised FNR dates into my calendar, when I realised it would be much easier if the darned thing could sync with my PC (home or work).

Best way to achieve this?
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #117 on: 16 February, 2012, 09:26:35 pm »
Thanks, Capt Contours.  The instructions weren't in quite the right order, but the digital thing was ticked.

Now it says I don't have a decoder.  :-\

Downloaded VLC mediaplayer, and the disc is playing better, but.....still no audio. 

So what's a decoder?
Getting there...

« Reply #118 on: 16 February, 2012, 09:38:49 pm »
Ooh - here's an interesting can.  What is it?  Worms?  OK. *reaches for opener*

I have an HTC android phone (can't remember the model, though Desire S seems familiar).  I was just poking in the revised FNR dates into my calendar, when I realised it would be much easier if the darned thing could sync with my PC (home or work).

Best way to achieve this?

I mainly use Google Calendar at home. That will automatically sync with your Android phone. At each end (home and work) I use Google Calendar Sync to sync Google calendar with Outlook. So anything edited on the phone, or using Google Calendar or Outlook at home (Vista) or work (XP) all syncs. Never a bother with it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #119 on: 16 February, 2012, 09:49:21 pm »
Ooh - that sounds promising, thanks.  I shall experiment with that once I have sorted out the audio difficulty.

Getting there...

« Reply #120 on: 16 February, 2012, 10:06:46 pm »
I use Outlook for everything at work. Use Google Cal Sync (2-way sync selected) on work PC which syncs events (only) with Google / Android. At home, just use Google (but if you also have Outlook at home, use G Cal Sync (2-way) to do the job.

[I use Exchange Activesync for work email <> Android, but I don't use its calendar or contacts sync for various reasons - for events, the method above works better for me].

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #121 on: 16 February, 2012, 10:21:45 pm »
I have Outlook at work for work stuffs.  No reason I couldn't use some sort of version for home an all.  I don't want or need work email on my phone. :)
Getting there...

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #122 on: 25 February, 2012, 06:42:58 pm »
When you've been successful, can I beg for the old memory module for my charitable good causes old lame pc upgrades please?  Happy to pay for it of course.

Hi PB - I've just replaced a 1GB 6400 (800MHz) desktop ddr2 stick with 2GB - is the old stick any use for you (free to good home)?

« Reply #123 on: 25 February, 2012, 06:48:49 pm »

Hi PB - I've just replaced a 1GB 6400 (800MHz) desktop ddr2 stick with 2GB - is the old stick any use for you (free to good home)?

Yes please tc.  Will pm when at a proper pooter.   Many thanks.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #124 on: 25 February, 2012, 08:27:30 pm »
Clarion I have not trawled all the way through the thread but you can give remote access to a TRUSTED amigo and there are a number of (free) tools out there to enable this. This allows the other bod to take over your pc and run various things such as a deffrager, spyware finders etc and gen tidy up your pc. I have been doing this for my dad for years.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain