Author Topic: MacBook Pro M1 Monterey - video problems  (Read 246 times)

MacBook Pro M1 Monterey - video problems
« on: 14 May, 2024, 01:17:34 pm »
Not having any luck with general searches on this so hoping someone here may have a suggestion.

The issue is that, when watching YouTube live streams (e.g. Post Office enquiry!) in Safari, if I open another window to do something "in front" of the Safari window (e.g. WhatsApp, email, etc), the video of the YouTube stream starts stuttering really badly and eventually freezes.

I've used MacBooks for decades and never had this sort of problem.  On way less powerful machines (also with integrated graphics) I could work on as many apps as I liked and not interfered with "background" streaming. Internet is fibre 130mbps and wifi is working at full throttle.

?
The sound of one pannier flapping

Re: MacBook Pro M1 Monterey - video problems
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2024, 04:35:26 pm »
Does the problem happen on other video streaming platforms?

On my youtube player (Firefox/Linux) I can right click and get a menu that shows a "Stats for nerds" option. That gives details of the video encoding, network bandwidth, dropped frames, etc. If your player has the same perhaps you can identify a difference between working and non-working.

« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2024, 04:38:57 pm »
Thanks Philip - I'll give that a try next time it happens.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2024, 05:28:02 pm »
Other thing to try would be a different browser.

« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2024, 05:30:08 pm »
Other thing to try would be a different browser.

Good thinking.  Will try that also.

« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2024, 03:07:42 pm »
Stream seem to run OK in the background using Opera - but glitch on Safari and Chrome (Mac).  I can live with that  :)

I had a look at the stats for nerds pop-up in Safari and it did indeed show issues with latency - seemingly related to network activity (though not speed).  I do have a few extensions for ad-blocking, tracking, password vaults, etc so it's possibly some conflict with these.