Author Topic: Which bottom bracket?  (Read 5965 times)

Re: Which bottom bracket?
« Reply #25 on: 26 February, 2021, 12:08:54 pm »
Apologies for the sort of hijack, but are Shimano hollow tech bb’s interchangeable across all cranksets?. Reading this thread, I’ve decided to upgrade from the current RS500 (Tiagra) component, will the Dura ace BBR9100 fit my Sora crank set?

Thanks in advance

A

« Reply #26 on: 26 February, 2021, 12:20:14 pm »
Apologies for the sort of hijack, but are Shimano hollow tech bb’s interchangeable across all cranksets?. Reading this thread, I’ve decided to upgrade from the current RS500 (Tiagra) component, will the Dura ace BBR9100 fit my Sora crank set?

Thanks in advance

A

If it works with an RS500 then it will work wil a BBR9100. The only difference is you will need an insert for your tool as the ext. diameter of the cup housing is different. They used to include the tool with the DA bb. Dont knowif they still do, but they arent expensive

« Reply #27 on: 26 February, 2021, 07:34:09 pm »
The top end of the quality market is a Belgian called C-Bear. He’s also a very helpful chap, and has a useful website with charts of what fits what.

« Reply #28 on: 26 February, 2021, 07:39:54 pm »
Except they are £100.  Are they going to last longer than 7 Shimano BBs?  I think not.

I don't doubt they are good quality, but beyond the satisfaction of installing a well-engineered component, what is the added value?

« Reply #29 on: 26 February, 2021, 08:45:50 pm »
On the subject of hope BB's, people mention the bearings being replaceable, but I don't see them offered on the website as purchasable, nor any instructions to install them.

J
I doubt they're Hope specific,  or even BB specific, once you have the dimensions, or one in your hand, a decent bearing supplier can probably get replacements, most likely offer a better quality for the same price or the same quality cheaper. This is a guess based on that being the case with Hope headsets.   

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #30 on: 26 February, 2021, 08:54:04 pm »
As posted on the thread cleaning, um, thread. Chris King.

~€225 for the Chris King version.

Will it last twice as long as a hope one?

On the subject of hope BB's, people mention the bearings being replaceable, but I don't see them offered on the website as purchasable, nor any instructions to install them.

J

https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/documents/24mmThreadedBB-EN_FR_DE.pdf

Bearings are circa £20 a side and require a suitable tool to push remove/refit.
Regards,

Joergen

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #31 on: 14 April, 2021, 08:53:17 pm »
Helpfully, Wiggle are currently selling Hope BB bearings half-price, ie £9.49.

Unhelpfully, they only have 1 in stock...

I've just checked: I replaced my BB with a Hope set in July 2019. They have started to creak again. I doubt that I have done 1000 miles in that time, and I'm certain it's under 1500.

I took the seals off yesterday and regreased them, and the creak went away for a bit. Now it's back again. Having splurged £85 on them less than 2 years ago, I'm reluctant to buy more.

Bollocks.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #32 on: 15 April, 2021, 06:07:41 pm »
An email exchange with Hope:

Hello!

I bought and fitted a Hope bottom bracket set from Chain Reaction cycles in July 2019 and in the past couple of weeks the bearings have started creaking again. I have definitely cycled less than 1500 miles since fitting them. I’ve seldom gone out in the rain and pretty well all my riding is at a “pottering” speed and has been on-road.

My bike is a Thorn with a Rohloff hub so the bearings are screwed into one of the Thorn eccentric bottom bracket units made of anodised aluminium: there’s no question of “shimming” off the BB in order to make sure that the two faces are parallel.

I wondered what the expected life of one of your BBs is, and if there is a warranty period. Such a short life seems to me to be unacceptable for such an expensive outlay. I have attached a screenshot of my order from the Chain Reaction website.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,

Hi Peter
Sorry to hear of the bb issue. Our bottom bracket cups have a two year warranty, consumables, such as bearings, have a one year warranty. If you would like to send the bb cups in we can check them, I’ll attach a returns form.
Kind regards

Pretty disappointed in that tbh. If I send Hope the cups, how am I supposed to ride about? I expect more than 1500 miles (I've probably done nearer 1000) from a set of BB bearings. That's close to the worst £85 I've ever spent, I think.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #33 on: 15 April, 2021, 06:16:50 pm »
Yeah, they last about the same length of time as the £15 Shimano bottom brackets, you can replace the bearings by pressing them out of the cups, but they're a slightly odd size and cost about £20. ::-)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #34 on: 15 April, 2021, 11:58:39 pm »
I have expressed my views on the Chain Reaction website, where I bought the Hope BB. I have to wait 48 hours to see if they publish, but suffice it to say I was scathing.

Davef

« Reply #35 on: 16 April, 2021, 06:12:59 am »

Hello!

I bought and fitted a Hope bottom bracket set from Chain Reaction cycles in July 2019 and in the past couple of weeks the bearings have started creaking again. I have definitely cycled less than 1500 miles since fitting them. I’ve seldom gone out in the rain and pretty well all my riding is at a “pottering” speed and has been on-road.

My bike is a Thorn with a Rohloff hub so the bearings are screwed into one of the Thorn eccentric bottom bracket units made of anodised aluminium: there’s no question of “shimming” off the BB in order to make sure that the two faces are parallel.

I wondered what the expected life of one of your BBs is, and if there is a warranty period. Such a short life seems to me to be unacceptable for such an expensive outlay. I have attached a screenshot of my order from the Chain Reaction website.

Yours sincerely,

Hi Peter
Sorry to hear of the bb issue. Our bottom bracket cups have a two year warranty, consumables, such as bearings, have a one year warranty. If you would like to send the bb cups in we can check them, I’ll attach a returns form.
Kind regards

Pretty disappointed in that tbh. If I send Hope the cups, how am I supposed to ride about? I expect more than 1500 miles (I've probably done nearer 1000) from a set of BB bearings. That's close to the worst £85 I've ever spent, I think.
I don’t think it is unreasonable. For all they know you have cycled 50,000 miles in the last 2 years or worse still the BB is fine and you just want another one for a different bike. I would buy an ultegra for £24, send the hope one back and see what they say. If hope come back with a replacement I will buy the ultegra one off you for £20.

As an aside I find the ultegra ones last forever. I am from “wayfarer” school of bike cleaning and wonder if there is a negative correlation between cleanliness and expected life.

« Reply #36 on: 16 April, 2021, 09:57:01 pm »
Another +1 for Ultegra BB.
The Van Nic has had Ultegra since new. I think I must've clocked in excess on 25,000 miles on the original BB, before it failed.
It is currently on its third BB.
Ultegra, again.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #37 on: 16 April, 2021, 10:52:02 pm »

Hello!

Yours sincerely,

Hi Peter
Kind regards

<shrug>
Have you determined what the actual failure is?
There are many things that can cause a creak.
It might not be a failure in the BB itself.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #38 on: 17 April, 2021, 12:09:14 am »
It's exactly the same creak as has occurred in all of these exposed BBs. I have no doubt that's what it is.

I ordered one of these.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-saint-hollowtech-ii-bottom-bracket-cups?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360634333&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=base&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6-SDBhCMARIsAGbI7UhH3_pSKMgRESTyyo6iqofDTdyCf2fTc0T_F96NoW3m__mwrInwnZMaAnBKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

1/3 of the price of the Hope.

I've contemplated taking out the Hollowtech II system and replacing with square-taper, but that would involve replacing the entire crankset, which ICBA to do. It's not as though I'm notching up 6000 to 7000 miles a year, as I used to do. I will be 67 in a couple of months and a point may well come in the not too distant future when I decide to go for electric assist. Everything is working at the moment, but despite losing about 3 stones in weight, I'm not getting any quicker!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #39 on: 17 April, 2021, 12:14:34 am »
Another +1 for Ultegra BB.
The Van Nic has had Ultegra since new. I think I must've clocked in excess on 25,000 miles on the original BB, before it failed.
It is currently on its third BB.
Ultegra, again.

Is the Ultegra the one that has a plastic adaptor between it and the BB tool?

« Reply #40 on: 17 April, 2021, 01:16:34 am »
The new models have a smaller diameter flange so you get a plastic insert for the tool

« Reply #41 on: 17 April, 2021, 07:22:41 am »
According to one of the reviews on Wiggle, that particular BB doesn't require the plastic adapter and will work with a Shimano BBT9 tool.
My Ultegra BB is old enough not to need the adapter.
As HF mentions, the contemporary Ultegra BBs do require an adapter.
From a quick review of vendors of this product, it would appear that if an adapter is required, it'll get a mention in the copy of the ad.

« Reply #42 on: 17 April, 2021, 07:33:51 am »
For clarity, current Ultegra, 105, and DA models need the adaptor (TLFC37 or TLFC25) the Saint in WB's link doesn't.

It's easy the spot which is which. The BBs requiring the adaptor have a bevelled edge. The others don't.

Old

New

The BBs used to come with adaptor if proper retail product, but more often than not they no longer do. They are cheap to buy though. (£4)

I'm not normally this helpful this early in the morning

Davef

Which bottom bracket?
« Reply #43 on: 17 April, 2021, 07:34:35 am »
According to one of the reviews on Wiggle, that particular BB doesn't require the plastic adapter and will work with a Shimano BBT9 tool.
The new ultegra am bbr60 is definitely smaller than the old one and you need the adapter for your tool. If you get it retail packaged it comes with the adapter otherwise it is £3.50. I know this because I just fitted one this week that was oem packaged. Perhaps the tool you mentioned is specifically for the new size but I doubt it

Edit: I would add that the adapter is in my opinion a bit crap because although it fits the bottom bracket nicely it won’t quite fit my bottom bracket spanner and fits my bottom bracket socket for my socket set so tightly I don’t think it will come out again with out breaking.

Davef

Which bottom bracket?
« Reply #44 on: 17 April, 2021, 07:52:58 am »

I'm not normally this helpful this early in the morning
That image looks more like an FC24 adapter rather than the required FC25.

https://youtu.be/ccnfHKZebRk

« Reply #45 on: 17 April, 2021, 08:06:32 am »
Ah..quite right! My bad. The photo is in fact the FC24, and not the FC25. You can tell because the splines on the FC24 are 4mm deep rather than 5mm on the FC25. Well spotted.

Davef

« Reply #46 on: 17 April, 2021, 08:14:47 am »
Ah..quite right! My bad. The photo is in fact the FC24, and not the FC25. You can tell because the splines on the FC24 are 4mm deep rather than 5mm on the FC25. Well spotted.
Did you watch the instructional video about Donnelly nut spacing ?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #47 on: 17 April, 2021, 08:26:59 am »
The number of different BB tools needed by bike shops nowadays is absurd.
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/bottom-bracket-tool-selection-threaded-and-thread-together
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #48 on: 17 April, 2021, 08:33:28 am »
Did you watch the instructional video about Donnelly nut spacing ?

Yes. Obsolete, because the RimRider has been superseded by the E-Stim CBT Master.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Which bottom bracket?
« Reply #49 on: 17 April, 2021, 09:05:33 am »

You can also tell because it has FC24 etched in the rim.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."