Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576396 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #50 on: 27 April, 2011, 06:53:33 pm »
B&Q - get a grip on SI units.  Your water butt tap is HOW big?:
B&Q Online: From Kitchens & Bathrooms to Sheds & Paving; plus planning tools

:o ::-)
;D

Bugger me, thats a biggun...

I've actually got a couple of those and they are the sort of size you'd expect, and screw into the usual (is it 1/2 inch BSP?) thread, and have a proper hose connector thingy on the bottom.
Wombat

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #51 on: 27 April, 2011, 07:30:17 pm »
Chuffing sore foot arches.   >:(  Looks like I'll need to visit the nhs podiatrist for them to have a poke around at my feet to see what they need to do.....(and hopefully not send me to a private podiatrist at £100 a visit.....)

essexian

« Reply #52 on: 28 April, 2011, 10:11:58 am »
Arriva buses….sigh.

When I first moved to Stafford in 2002, I was fat, unfit and couldn’t make the 2 miles from home into town. So, it was useful that you ran a bus from the end of my street into town once every 10 mins. You even ran sufficient buses before 7am to allow me to link up with the early trains to that London. The fare for this short journey: one of your quids.

9 years later and 4 stone lighter, I hardly ever use the bus now, preferring either to walk, or to cycle. Its good that I hardly use the “service” anymore as the early morning buses have almost all disappeared (not literally!!!) and the service is now once every 15 mins.

So, why am I grumbling…well, at the start of the year, it cost £1.60 for the trip. Bit pricey for such a short journey but hey ho…. I then used the bus three weeks ago: £1.70. Coming home from dropping my bike of at the LBS for some work (yes, yes, I should learn to do it myself but the time it would take me and the agro just isn’t worth it!) this morning, I was charged £1.80! So, two price increases in 4 months!!!! Yes, I could have walked back, but I needed to be back at my desk by half 9.

Bus fares…sigh.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #53 on: 28 April, 2011, 10:41:47 am »
Spalding CC

Come on lads, I know it was your Nelson Sportive thingy, but a simple 'hiya' or 'morning' would of been nice.  Loads of riders passed me and my mate but there was barely a nod.

May a thousand failed snot rockets hang from your Assos clad shoulders....

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #54 on: 28 April, 2011, 12:42:09 pm »
B&Q - get a grip on SI units.  Your water butt tap is HOW big?:
B&Q Online: From Kitchens & Bathrooms to Sheds & Paving; plus planning tools

:o ::-)
;D

Bugger me, thats a biggun...

I've actually got a couple of those and they are the sort of size you'd expect, and screw into the usual (is it 1/2 inch BSP?) thread, and have a proper hose connector thingy on the bottom.

B&Q:  your waterbutt tap was *much* smaller than I was led to believe by your website ...
</grumble>  ;)

« Reply #55 on: 01 May, 2011, 05:26:49 pm »
To anyone who wishes to walk up Snowdon:

To park in the car park at the top of the pass you'll need to be there before 7 this time of year.  When you rock up at 10 it will be full.  However, the kind National Park & Gwynedd council people have provided at huge car park in Nant Peris and another in Llanberis with a park and ride bus to the top.  A sign that looks like a red circle, filled blue with a red cross inside does not mean "Please park here - this is the ideal parking spot".  Parking in the verge backed right up to the sign makes you a selfish ass. Double parking the person parked next to the sign in the verge makes you an ignorant and selfish ass.

Surely if you've come on a walking trip, an extra few hundred metres to park somewhere safe isn't too much to ask, is it?

« Reply #56 on: 01 May, 2011, 06:58:14 pm »
Different cycling mate: When I offer to fix a puncture for you and I do everything except check that the thorns are still in the tyre carcass & leave that to you, thinking that no one could miss a hawthorn sticking 5mm through the casing; do at least make an effort to find it. Taking you at your word that you had checked it, I put the tyre back on and pumped it up (after checking all the punctures had been fixed) only to find it deflating.

After taking it off again, I found two thorns sticking through, luckily only one of which had caused a new puncture.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #57 on: 01 May, 2011, 07:27:45 pm »
Chest infection, I'm bored of you. Please leave

Chris S

« Reply #58 on: 02 May, 2011, 10:29:56 pm »
Wind. Please.

I mean - y'know - it's been entertaining for what, the last 10 days or so.

But please. Enough's enough. Go away.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #59 on: 02 May, 2011, 10:35:54 pm »
Try sucking a mint

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #60 on: 02 May, 2011, 11:42:03 pm »
The ultra-itchy allergic reactions to the assorted beastie/triffid bites I've sustained over the last week I could cope with.  I'm used to it.

Much the same goes for the epic hayfever I suffered on the ride into central London this morning.

The abscess in my armpit was a surprise, but seems to have responded well to some rather painful fettling.

But my 'good' knee turning red, swelling up and making interesting squelchy noises?  That's just unfair.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #61 on: 03 May, 2011, 10:50:53 am »
I do not have next Friday off.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #62 on: 03 May, 2011, 06:15:50 pm »
Bugger!  There are no Bank Holidays next week.  WTF is going on?  ???
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #63 on: 03 May, 2011, 06:26:31 pm »
A Unilateral Declaration of POETS Day is appropriate

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #64 on: 05 May, 2011, 12:50:04 pm »
I was going to go to a meeting, which would have included a nice bike ride and lunch provided.  But the BT repairman turned up and I needed to be on hand.  So I'm doing the Fire Risk Assessment instead.  And don't have anything here for lunch :(
Getting there...

essexian

« Reply #65 on: 05 May, 2011, 03:51:26 pm »
On my 2.5 mile ride to the LBS this afternoon, I saw a total of 11 adults riding "bikes" (most of them BSO's).

Of the 12 bikes out in Stafford this afternoon therefore (including me), a grand total of 11 were on the pavement.

Come on people, pavements for peds, roads for bikes: ESPECIALLY if you are an adult.

My goat is got.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #66 on: 05 May, 2011, 04:11:52 pm »
Exactly.  This morning, I told one group of middle-aged commuters that, when they grow up, their mummy might let them ride on the road.
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #67 on: 05 May, 2011, 05:05:22 pm »
I ordered a kite from Amazon. It came today. It's about two foot long, and all folded up in a case, so it's not really any bigger than an average umbrella. It came in a cardboard box 23"x19"x9.5". Bloody ridiculous.

And to add insult to injury, they enclosed a free gift. Two England car flags.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #68 on: 05 May, 2011, 05:06:41 pm »
Funnily enough, I just had a near miss from a pavement cyclist.  I was in ped mode, stepped diagonally to avoid a roadworks sign, and the BSO squeezed through the remaining gap between me and the wall before going on to swerve round some oncoming pedestrians.  Grr.

Wombat

« Reply #69 on: 05 May, 2011, 07:37:55 pm »
Chuffing sore foot arches.   >:(  Looks like I'll need to visit the nhs podiatrist for them to have a poke around at my feet to see what they need to do.....(and hopefully not send me to a private podiatrist at £100 a visit.....)

you are on dodgy ground on a couple of counts, old thing. 

a) see an NHS podiatrist, ha ha you must be joking!  Are you already dead, or diabetic?  If not, forget it.

b) a private one costing £100!!  I know one round here that costs £18 (but I get it free 'cos I'm married to her. )   Some are ripoffs, but £100 is unheard of.
Wombat

LindaG

« Reply #70 on: 06 May, 2011, 09:10:20 am »
Oh, what a shame.  Focus DIY are going into administration.  Which means the nice man with the goatee who is always so helpful may be out of a job.  And there's a slightly higher risk of me going to B+Q.  Huh >:(

Wombat

« Reply #71 on: 06 May, 2011, 09:38:06 am »
I must confess I thought they'd sunk into oblivion years ago.  Our local one certainly had.  It started as a "pay less" superstore, then transmogified into Focus do it all.  I interpreted that as "do less, pay it all" 'cos it was pretty rubbish.  We also have a Wickes which has never yet had anything in stock that I needed, with the exception of 2 tins of gas for my steam engines, when I actually wanted 12 tins.  In contrast B&Q is almost pleasant.  I said almost...   I will be walking a couple of miles down there later today, having called in at another branch in my car yesterday, and forgot the fluorescent light tube I needed, as well as having failed to get some micro-irrigation fittings 'cos they didn't have them.  Car use not permitted under current regime till next thursday...
Wombat

« Reply #72 on: 06 May, 2011, 11:06:52 am »
Why oh why do SO many people use detergents that make their clothes STINK! I've bought 2 cycling jersey's from ebay in the last week, and it's taken 3 washes to get the first not to stink too much to wear. The second had to be confined to the shut washing machine even after a first wash, it still stank so much of "perfume" courtesy of Lever Brothers et al.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #73 on: 06 May, 2011, 11:16:09 am »
Why oh why do SO many people use detergents that make their clothes STINK! I've bought 2 cycling jersey's from ebay in the last week, and it's taken 3 washes to get the first not to stink too much to wear. The second had to be confined to the shut washing machine even after a first wash, it still stank so much of "perfume" courtesy of Lever Brothers et al.

We find Ecover is almost the worst for this - it's full of lavender which Kim is allergic to (makes her sneeze).  We automatically wash anything we buy or are given at least once cos it's likely we won't like the smell of the washing powder. 

« Reply #74 on: 06 May, 2011, 11:22:00 am »
We're Ecover liquid / wash ball users.   Nobody complained at the NTRWCW but maybe you were all being polite  :P

I must admit that I've rejected a B&B because of the very strong smell of the laundry detergent on the bedding.