Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3920887 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #8475 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:03:40 pm »
:) Happy to help
Getting there...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #8476 on: 28 February, 2011, 04:22:13 pm »
A quick 17.8 mile spin on my Lemond.  Seems my front mech fettling-fu is weak today as it wouldn't change up to the big ring from the middle one.   :o
Actually a change to have dry dusty roads than wet icy ones!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8477 on: 28 February, 2011, 04:46:30 pm »
Yes, a lovely 20 mile ride to Wookey and back, averaging 12.5mph ;D

It has been a full week of suspense for me as my new Sabbath September was built exactly a week ago, but a half term trip to visit relatives tuesday-thursday with the Wye Wednesday 200k on my old bike in the middle of it, and then working friday, saturday and sunday prevented me from taking it on it's first real ride until today.
Last night I fitted the Garmin, IQ cyo light and the Cateye commuter computer to it. The backlight and thermometer on this are great additions IMO.

It was a ride well worth waiting for! I felt like a real clutz trying to learn how to use the drop bars, shifters and brakes. The hand positions felt very different to those I have been used to on flat bars, unsurprisingly. But the ride comfort was incredible, I was able to go a couple of mph faster than normal without making any real effort to go quickly. The Brooks saddle is brand new to my bum (has done just a few miles on Peli's bike) and yet felt incredibly comfortable. It feels like the frame is absorbing almost all of the road 'noise'. The riding position is so much better than on my Fuji, I feel like I can make the most of the whole crank rotation as opposed to just pushing down on the 'down'. I was able to ride at 20kph up some rolling hills  :o
I can't wait to take the bike out again tomorrow on a longer ride  ;D

More in the Titanium thread Titanium Bike makers

« Reply #8478 on: 28 February, 2011, 09:45:02 pm »
I took the new bike out again this evening. I got invited out for a curry by a couple of friends so I cycled round to their's to show them the bike (they're cyclists) and to remind myself what is rides like again. It hasn't been out since I brought it back from the shop 'cos I don't know what's going to happen to it.
Here's a picture of the bike. I still think that it looks wrong:-

DSC_0084 by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

I did 1.5 miles in total and I had a lovely curry.
The bike is fantastic to ride, still.

« Reply #8479 on: 28 February, 2011, 09:48:06 pm »
What do you think looks wrong about it? Looks great to me. The mudguards are missing though!

« Reply #8480 on: 28 February, 2011, 10:05:34 pm »
I don't like the look of the front end;- it's too high, like a bike for a tall person. Which I'm not.
I asked for a disc-braked Echo.

My other bike has mud-guards (and a rack). The most that this one will get will be Crud Roadracers and, maybe, a saddle bag.

« Reply #8481 on: 28 February, 2011, 10:32:27 pm »
I took the new bike out again this evening. I got invited out for a curry by a couple of friends so I cycled round to their's to show them the bike (they're cyclists) and to remind myself what is rides like again. It hasn't been out since I brought it back from the shop 'cos I don't know what's going to happen to it.
Here's a picture of the bike. I still think that it looks wrong:-

DSC_0084 by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

I did 1.5 miles in total and I had a lovely curry.
The bike is fantastic to ride, still.

Is that frame not a tad too big for you?

« Reply #8482 on: 28 February, 2011, 10:33:58 pm »
it would look more regular with a shorter head tube and less slopey top tube. What's the head angle, it looks slack but that might be an illusion

« Reply #8483 on: 01 March, 2011, 11:46:51 am »
it would look more regular with a shorter head tube and less slopey top tube. What's the head angle, it looks slack but that might be an illusion

It's the very long head-tube that throws out the appearance IMO. I wanted a slopey top-tube.

Is that frame not a tad too big for you?

It shouldn't be too big since I was measured for it and it was made to suit me. Nads clearance on the top bar is marginal. They are pushed upwards and nestle on each side  :o .
When I'm on the bike, it feels really comfy (based on a longest ride of 28 miles).

« Reply #8484 on: 01 March, 2011, 04:36:16 pm »
Did 57 miles. I rode into Bristol to meet some friends who wanted to route test picking up NCN 3 right in the centre using the Whitchurch Way to get out of Bristol largely traffic free. The plan is for this route to be used for Bristol Cycling Campaign led rides to encourage new cyclists to ride further. We went the scenic route out to Chew Valley lake for coffee. I then headed for the hills with a friend and stopped at the wonderful Hunters Lodge Inn in Priddy for their ham and mushroom pasta and a Cheddar Potholer ale. It felt really cold out there today!

The wild sheep on Cheddar Gorge have given birth this week and there were some really tiny and cute baby lambs  ;D

;D Have I posted enough pics of my new bike yet?  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8485 on: 01 March, 2011, 04:38:30 pm »
Have you got a new bike?  You kept that quiet! ;D
Getting there...

AndyH

« Reply #8486 on: 01 March, 2011, 04:53:03 pm »
I expect you can do the gorge in the big ring !

« Reply #8487 on: 01 March, 2011, 04:55:08 pm »

An idyllic day in East Lothian.  134.96 kms which is my biggest day in a couple of years.  Edinburgh - Dunbar - Edinburgh.

« Reply #8488 on: 01 March, 2011, 04:55:35 pm »
I expect you can do the gorge in the big ring !

Yes, all except the 16% bit of it near the bottom  ;D

« Reply #8489 on: 01 March, 2011, 04:56:22 pm »

An idyllic day in East Lothian.  134.96 kms which is my biggest day in a couple of years.  Edinburgh - Dunbar - Edinburgh.

I wondered who had nicked the blue skies, seems you did!  ;D

Chris S

« Reply #8490 on: 01 March, 2011, 05:09:04 pm »
Yes. People - stop posting pics of blue sky. We haven't seen the sun for more than a few hours in the last month over this side of the country. It's getting annoying.

*harrumph*  >:(

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #8491 on: 02 March, 2011, 12:35:10 pm »
Despite being tired, getting over the flu and not leaving work until 17:40 (and taking an hour to do a journey which normally takes 25 mins) I dragged my sorry ass out on a bike ride last night.  20 miles on quite back roads around Herts, one bit I was followed by a car for nearly a mile, no revving of engine or anything, until I could find a safe place to pull over to let them pass.  Got cold on the way back but I enjoyed it, and am looking forward to repeating it tonight...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #8492 on: 02 March, 2011, 01:18:20 pm »
Did 57 miles. I rode into Bristol to meet some friends who wanted to route test picking up NCN 3 right in the centre using the Whitchurch Way to get out of Bristol largely traffic free. The plan is for this route to be used for Bristol Cycling Campaign led rides to encourage new cyclists to ride further. We went the scenic route out to Chew Valley lake for coffee. I then headed for the hills with a friend and stopped at the wonderful Hunters Lodge Inn in Priddy for their ham and mushroom pasta and a Cheddar Potholer ale. It felt really cold out there today!

The wild sheep on Cheddar Gorge have given birth this week and there were some really tiny and cute baby lambs  ;D

;D Have I posted enough pics of my new bike yet?  ;D

That is a lovely looking steed, enjoy!

« Reply #8493 on: 02 March, 2011, 06:18:45 pm »
Had a pootle around Warwick, Leek Wooton & Kenilworth today. Mainly road, though some bridleways. I'd planned to use a path I'd seen on Monday signed to Kenilworth castle. It was a cinder track. Well, it was for the first 1/4 mile, then it became varying degrees of quagmire. I persevered and got a very muddy commuter bike by the end. Thank goodness for the Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyres.

Managed to get round all the way in sunshine too. A nice, though tiring, ride.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #8494 on: 02 March, 2011, 07:03:57 pm »
Since today was my rest day I just did my usual little pootle with the dogs twice round Cheddar reservoir (about 6 miles). The sun was actually out today woohoo!

The Claud Butler 'dog walking bike':

My dogs Google and Squidge are as hard as nails and swim every day (even when it was -5C)

Arriving home we are always greeted by Kiri and Rico, my Siamese cats. They wait at the end of the road then run up the road with us. I look a bit like the pied piper cycling round the village!

The dogs are attached to my bike by elastic leads on the end of a metal pole clamped to the seat post. I can ride down the road with the dogs running along the pavement beside me so long as there are no parked cars. I have trained them to do left and right turns on command  ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #8495 on: 02 March, 2011, 07:13:33 pm »
Just got back from a chilly 21 miles out to Aston and back again, nothing notable about it, apart from over a 1000ft of climbing and, what I can only assume was superman, overtaking me not once but twice (I passed him as he had stopped at the shop).  Both times he passed on sharp blind bends....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8496 on: 02 March, 2011, 08:01:24 pm »
Did the loop on the 'bent again.  Slightly faster than last time, in spite of it being significantly colder.  Knee still appears to work...   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8497 on: 02 March, 2011, 08:54:58 pm »
A rather lovely ride out to Blackburn via Tottington, Holcombe Village (quite a pull to get up there), Helmshore, Haslingden and Accrington.
After a quick tour around the Haslingden streets that I grew up on (parents couldn't afford a house. Ba-doom tish), we stopped for lunch at Cissy Green's bakery on Haslingden high street (it's actually called Higher, and Lower, Deardengate). I had meat pie and mushy peas. My Glaswegian friend decided that he'd do without the peas. We ate them sat on a bench in lovely sunshine then cycled about 1/2 mile to the Griffin Inn, home of the Rossendale Brewery where I had two 1/2s, one of Rossendale bitter, one of Halo bitter.
Once we reached Blackburn, we caught the train to Entwistle (OT: Blackburn Station. Why oh why is the ticket office on platform 2 ? Why not put it at the main entrance to save us all having to walk up a slippery ramp to buy the tickets and then back down again to find our platform ?).
Leaving Entwistle, we resisted the siren call of the Strawberry Duck and headed back to Manchester via Tottington and Radcliffe. We had a lovely whizz down into Tottington  :thumbsup: .
We stopped in MCR for a beer at The Knott (a pint of Ginger Marble, for a change  ;) ).
In all we did 55 miles in chilly but gloriously sunny weather.
I was on new bike again and it's still fantastic to ride. I'd pumped the tyres up on Tuesday night so the ride was a little harsher but still very acceptable. It didn't feel any faster though.........
It was also surprisingly controllable on the bits of off-road that we did. There seems to be something pathetically heroic about riding a skinny tyred bike through gravel and mud. Or is that just me ?  ::-)

The only time today that I've considered my knees was when I read Kim's post. So that's a good thing  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8498 on: 02 March, 2011, 09:05:16 pm »
Over to Sydenham at lunchtime today to assist with some furniture shifting.
Afternoon tea in The City with a friend.
Back to Sydenham this evening to fit a seal to a shower screen, and show an eight year old how to roll her Girl Guides (or is it Brownies?) 'kerchief so that all the stripes line up in perfect chevrons, thereby outsmarting all her mates.
Not very many miles, nice to be out in the sunshine (and on the Bianchi!) but boy, it's still chilly!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8499 on: 02 March, 2011, 11:17:47 pm »
Blimey! It's turned a bit nippy here in Essex tonight.  Just back from 21.5 miles knocking off another two ascents of Danbury North Hill.  That's 13 out of 52 now.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike