Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856910 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #1750 on: 29 October, 2011, 01:31:31 pm »
It's not nothing to do with correctness. 
No, it probably isn't.

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1751 on: 29 October, 2011, 01:33:30 pm »
Or:

"Blackburn to give away free bike lights to London commuters on Monday"

which would make it absolutely clear.

I think "gift" is not quite right coz a gift is like a present, it's something you give to people you know. And Blackburn are not giving out presents, they are doing it to promote themselves.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1752 on: 29 October, 2011, 01:58:35 pm »
There is a new thread up today with the title:
"Apple gift catalogue"

What does that mean?  ???
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1753 on: 29 October, 2011, 03:27:52 pm »
What about leaving out "against" as in eg "they are protesting the government spending cuts", it just sounds wrong to my ears.
+1. Absolutely horrible.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1754 on: 29 October, 2011, 09:30:01 pm »
Verbing weirds nouns.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1755 on: 29 October, 2011, 09:32:45 pm »
And look what it does to adjectives!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1756 on: 29 October, 2011, 09:41:19 pm »
Well, suppose for example you found yourself in the ladies' changing room when it was empty, or on a different occasion when it was full of naked women. One of those could be considered the wrong place at the right time, the other the wrong place at the wrong time.

Is this an example of Male Privilege?

iakobski

« Reply #1757 on: 30 October, 2011, 09:01:16 am »
What about leaving out "against" as in eg "they are protesting the government spending cuts", it just sounds wrong to my ears.
+1. Absolutely horrible.

This is the USAnian usage, and it's a bit of a surprise to see it in the Guardian.

Totally confusing - in British English protest means forcefully affirming and US English it means the opposite. So in Britain you can protest your innocence, or protest (that) capitalism is shite, so you would protest against something. In the US you would protest capitalism - so much for common language.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1758 on: 31 October, 2011, 11:42:12 am »
+1. Absolutely horrible.

This is the USAnian usage, and it's a bit of a surprise to see it in the Guardian.

Totally confusing - in British English protest means forcefully affirming and US English it means the opposite. So in Britain you can protest your innocence, or protest (that) capitalism is shite, so you would protest against something. In the US you would protest capitalism - so much for common language.
I don't entirely agree. In British English nowadays, I would say protest meaning forcefully affirm survives only in stock phrases such as protest your innocence or good intentions. Apart from that, we have protest against and where we might once have used protest, we would either use a different verb such as claim, or we would use "protest that you are innocent". We are exposed to so much USAnian English in movies and TV that the traditional use of protest in other contexts has become ambiguous. I agree it's a surprise, and rather jarring, to see the US usage in a UK paper though.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1759 on: 31 October, 2011, 12:21:33 pm »
Ha!  You've managed to come up with an interesting, possibly correct (depending on your proclivities) context) but it was hard work, wasn't it?!  Mostly, the phrase isn't used like that, I think.

Well, it didn't take me long to come up with that example, but I would struggle to come up with another as good. It is a good one, though, isn't it?  ;D

And I do take your point that it's not what people usually mean when they use the phrase.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1760 on: 31 October, 2011, 01:39:07 pm »
Technically not grammar as such, but as this does seem to have gone OT in this direction before...

It seems to be becoming more and more common to say "it is persisting" when it's raining.  I believe they mean "precipitating", as they have made no mention of rain prior to this.  I have yet to correct anyone, but it's driving me just slightly insane  ;)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1761 on: 31 October, 2011, 01:59:04 pm »
Technically not grammar as such, but as this does seem to have gone OT in this direction before...

It seems to be becoming more and more common to say "it is persisting" when it's raining.  I believe they mean "precipitating", as they have made no mention of rain prior to this.  I have yet to correct anyone, but it's driving me just slightly insane  ;)
I use "persisting" as a (an?) euphemism for the participle in "It's P*ssing it down".  And it's still doing it.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1762 on: 31 October, 2011, 02:45:42 pm »
I also thought 'persisting' was used by those too coy to say 'pissing'.

« Reply #1763 on: 31 October, 2011, 02:59:04 pm »
I also thought 'persisting' was used by those too coy to say 'pissing'.

Exactly, or at least, originally. I bet there are people using it now who don't realise that.

« Reply #1764 on: 31 October, 2011, 03:37:24 pm »
Ahhhh...

That makes sense and I shall stop getting quite so irate about it...lol!   ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1765 on: 31 October, 2011, 07:27:32 pm »
If I have a Rare Coy Moment, I say it's 'hissing with rain'.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #1766 on: 01 November, 2011, 09:41:42 am »
"An euphemism"?  Is one having a giraffe?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1767 on: 01 November, 2011, 10:24:29 am »
"An euphemism"?  Is one having a giraffe?
Well, there was I thinking that words what begun wiv a vowel took "an" as their indefinite article, so I hedged my bets with both 'a' and 'an', with the second in brackets and a question mark! ;)

I suppose it depends on whether "euph" is pronounced "oof" or "yoof". 
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #1768 on: 01 November, 2011, 10:27:50 am »
Ah, yes, an hotel.  I don't like.  :)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1769 on: 01 November, 2011, 10:29:50 am »
In this way new words are created - a new-for-me-ism!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #1770 on: 01 November, 2011, 10:38:21 am »
It does amuse me when posh peeps drop their aitches and claim when they do it it is right and when cockneys do it it is wrong.

Historical and hysterical nonsense.

« Reply #1771 on: 01 November, 2011, 10:50:53 am »
It does amuse me when posh peeps drop their aitches and claim when they do it it is right and when cockneys do it it is wrong.

Historical and hysterical nonsense.

As in hour or honour?

The pronounced H in hotel and similar words derived from French is quite new in that there are probably still speakers alive who, correctly, wouldn't pronounce it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1772 on: 01 November, 2011, 11:04:57 am »
In this way new words are created - a new-for-me-ism!

Funny you should say that - oranges were originally noranges, doncha know (from the Spanish "naranja").

I wonder if "new phemism" counts as an eggcorn? Hmm, maybe not.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1773 on: 01 November, 2011, 11:10:47 am »
The pronounced H in hotel and similar words derived from French is quite new in that there are probably still speakers alive who, correctly, wouldn't pronounce it.

It's only correct if you're speaking French. We'd be in a right old pickle if we decided we had to pronounce all the English words that are derived from a foreign language (all of them?) in the manner of that language. Hotel, when spoken in English is not French, it is English, and to not pronounce the aitch is just poncy.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1774 on: 01 November, 2011, 11:13:46 am »
I can never keep a straight face when I hear an American pronounce "herbs" like the French herbes.