Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856942 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #2250 on: 18 June, 2012, 09:42:26 pm »
I like the German sentence 'Ich will in baden Baden-Baden baden'
Getting there...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2251 on: 18 June, 2012, 09:48:25 pm »
I like the German sentence 'Ich will in baden Baden-Baden baden'
One too many badens there, surely?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2252 on: 18 June, 2012, 09:51:07 pm »
I'm told it says that I'd like to bathe in the baths at Baden-Baden.  I may have been misinformed...
Getting there...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2253 on: 18 June, 2012, 09:54:06 pm »
That would have to be "ich will in Baden-Baden Bäder baden", so doesn't quite work.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2254 on: 18 June, 2012, 10:21:43 pm »
Sorry but "earlier accident " just sounds wrong. Thanks for your comments .

As we have moved on in this vein there is always the story of the teacher correcting the Yorkshire school pupil over his use of dialect in written work.
Tha's  put putten when tha should have putten put.
Not quite consecutive but similar .

PS as a former resident of March I can asure you no such event exists.

« Reply #2255 on: 18 June, 2012, 10:53:09 pm »
I'm too thick to work out the Scrabble one, it seems...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2256 on: 18 June, 2012, 11:08:37 pm »
That would have to be "ich will in Baden-Baden Bäder baden", so doesn't quite work.

How about: "Ich will bei den Bade in Baden-Baden baden." Does that work? I'm not sure off the top of my head if "bei den Bade" is grammatically correct.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2257 on: 19 June, 2012, 06:51:18 am »
Any language that puts the verb at the end just totally wrong is.

[Gets (bowler) hat and Colonel Blimp greatcoat, and leaves...]
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2258 on: 19 June, 2012, 07:17:27 am »
At this juncture feel I outpoint must, that in German the finite verb the second element in a sentence is. Only in a subordinate clause does a finite verb to the end of the clause shoved get. You can with the word-order all sorts of aboutbuggering do, but the verb comes second.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2259 on: 19 June, 2012, 07:25:27 am »
Americans have "corn maze" which is a big FAIL compared to the beauty of "maize maze".  To Americans corn=maize, to us corn=some general unidentified cereal, or wheat.  The other stuff is, of course, sweetcorn.

The Atlas zur deutschen Sprache has a map showing the different meanings of Korn throughout the German speaking area (that is, the area German was spoken in about 1870, which extended much further east than it does now). It pretty much corresponds to whatever the dominant cereal crop was in any area (usually rye, but also wheat or barley), and also the spirit made by distilling it.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2260 on: 19 June, 2012, 07:36:05 am »
A word that is particularly confusing is "momentarily", which to us means "for a short while" or "briefly" but to them means "in a short while", where we'd say "shortly" or "presently".

That reminds me. I was pretty sure I understood what people meant by  "now", until I moved to south Wales. There it refers to a point of time, possibly the present, but also possibly some time in the future, and often with an added phrase to add precision e.g. "I'll do it now in a minute", "I'll do it now this afternoon", "I'll do it now tomorrow morning". "I'll do it now" on its own can mean "I'll do it after I've had this cup of tea and a biscuit, and read the paper, and done numerous other things, but it's definitely on my things to do in the fullness of time."

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2261 on: 19 June, 2012, 08:14:36 am »

How about: "Ich will bei den Bade in Baden-Baden baden." Does that work? I'm not sure off the top of my head if "bei den Bade" is grammatically correct.

d.
With that option (and I, too, am not sure if 'bei' would be right) it would be: "ich will bei den Bäder in Baden-Baden baden". The main problem is the word for baths is not Baden but Bäder (plural of Bad).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2262 on: 19 June, 2012, 08:18:56 am »
At this juncture feel I outpoint must, that in German the finite verb the second element in a sentence is. Only in a subordinate clause does a finite verb to the end of the clause shoved get. You can with the word-order all sorts of aboutbuggering do, but the verb comes second.
;D

Although you're missing the second "I" in the first sentence somewhere.

I always thought it weird that some conjuctions are in position 0 - und, aber, damit etc.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2263 on: 19 June, 2012, 08:43:36 am »

d.
With that option (and I, too, am not sure if 'bei' would be right) it would be: "ich will bei den Bäder in Baden-Baden baden". The main problem is the word for baths is not Baden but Bäder (plural of Bad).

But bei den Bädern (dative plural).

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2264 on: 19 June, 2012, 08:46:03 am »
;D

Although you're missing the second "I" in the first sentence somewhere.

Yes, it should have been something like "At this juncture feel I, that I outpoint must, that ..."

« Reply #2265 on: 19 June, 2012, 09:56:19 am »
A word that is particularly confusing is "momentarily", which to us means "for a short while" or "briefly" but to them means "in a short while", where we'd say "shortly" or "presently".

That reminds me. I was pretty sure I understood what people meant by  "now", until I moved to south Wales. There it refers to a point of time, possibly the present, but also possibly some time in the future, and often with an added phrase to add precision e.g. "I'll do it now in a minute", "I'll do it now this afternoon", "I'll do it now tomorrow morning". "I'll do it now" on its own can mean "I'll do it after I've had this cup of tea and a biscuit, and read the paper, and done numerous other things, but it's definitely on my things to do in the fullness of time."

I've come to understand it as: "I'll do it... now go away"

« Reply #2266 on: 19 June, 2012, 10:02:12 am »
"Just now" here in the UK seems to mean a few minutes ago.
"Just now" in Southern Africa means in a short while.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2267 on: 19 June, 2012, 11:15:09 am »
Somewhere or other I think I still have a cassette of Samoan music on which one song contains the line "I always love you sometimes"
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2268 on: 19 June, 2012, 11:30:45 am »

Wunderbar!  ;D

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2269 on: 19 June, 2012, 12:51:16 pm »
As a former resident of March I can assure you no such event exists.

The March March march is a walk from March to Cambridge and has taken place in most years since 1979. It really does exist!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2270 on: 19 June, 2012, 12:55:44 pm »
In Cornwall things are done 'dreckly.

might be tomorrow
might be next year.

never means now

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The Apostrophe Police Visit
« Reply #2271 on: 19 June, 2012, 03:11:39 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-18502818

Looks like lack of a few apostophes attracted the attention of The Law.

Chris S

« Reply #2272 on: 19 June, 2012, 03:30:35 pm »
Oh dear. This one from Salvatore's link:

Wouldn’t the sentence “I want to insert a hyphen between the words Fish and And and And and Chips in my Fish And Chips sign” have been clearer if quotation marks had been placed before Fish, and between Fish and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and Chips — and after Chips?

caught me the wrong way and gave me a fit of the giggles. I'm not prone to being a giggly type. I think I need a lie down now...  ::-)

« Reply #2273 on: 19 June, 2012, 10:05:07 pm »
Thanks Gareth, I must have missed it during my  5 years in the flatlands.

« Reply #2274 on: 19 June, 2012, 10:13:00 pm »
Ref. March March- Having looked at said event's website it appears to be a collection of "foriners" who started this. I suspect it was a bid for freedom.