Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856750 times)

red marley

Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #2850 on: 08 October, 2013, 07:15:27 pm »
Quote from: Dave Gorman, 48 seconds into the very first television episode
And to prove it we've asked you to send in your most genius notions.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YGZaCuavUfI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/YGZaCuavUfI&rel=1</a>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2851 on: 08 October, 2013, 07:23:54 pm »
Quote from: Dave Gorman, 48 seconds into the very first television episode
And to prove it we've asked you to send in your most genius notions.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YGZaCuavUfI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/YGZaCuavUfI&rel=1</a>

Oh dear. I'm not sure we can accept late evidence submissions ... but if we could, this would be quite damning.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2852 on: 08 October, 2013, 11:52:37 pm »
Jo is right and wins this round of applause!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2853 on: 09 October, 2013, 01:29:06 pm »
How about "otherwise" as a verb?

Quote from: CTC Information Team
If you suspect they’re worse – or better – than average, new CTC research might confirm or otherwise your suspicions.

Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2854 on: 12 October, 2013, 11:25:38 pm »
Expiry v. expiration  :demon:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2855 on: 17 October, 2013, 11:06:47 am »
Encroaching without the on.  "Encroaching the blue paint".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2856 on: 17 October, 2013, 01:29:33 pm »
I know it's been mentioned on a number of occasions but the English speaking world needs reminding regularly.

It's "might have" not "might of"!
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2857 on: 17 October, 2013, 01:31:59 pm »
Quite right, Nicknack. There were some examples of that particular offence in the Graun comments page the other day. I would imagine they were Daily Mail readers on a trolling expedition.

Arising out of T42's "encroaching - on", also, "protest" requires "against". I have never protested nuclear weapons. I have always protested against them.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2858 on: 17 October, 2013, 02:28:28 pm »
Quite right, Nicknack. There were some examples of that particular offence in the Graun comments page the other day. I would imagine they were Daily Mail readers on a trolling expedition.

Arising out of T42's "encroaching - on", also, "protest" requires "against". I have never protested nuclear weapons. I have always protested against them.

Dead on. After all, one can protest innocence.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2859 on: 17 October, 2013, 03:09:50 pm »
 "**** has excepted your revised quotation please take this email as an instruction to proceed with the works next Tuesday" does not mean what he thinks it means.

(Just because you have letters after your name, doesn't mean you're not a fuckwit).

« Reply #2860 on: 17 October, 2013, 06:29:49 pm »
... I have never protested nuclear weapons. I have always protested against them.

Dead on. After all, one can protest innocence.
+1. A nice example of how laziness loses distinctions in meaning.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2861 on: 01 November, 2013, 07:04:18 am »
My sis-in-law used the expression "early doors" yesterday. I think she meant "early".

Is this footballing parlance? I seem to have heard it somewhere before, but I can't quite pin it down.

It's not exactly a point of grammar, but ICBA to start a "bloody stupid footballing sayings" thread in the "Sporting Life" board.

« Reply #2862 on: 01 November, 2013, 07:15:38 am »
The phrase appears to have been adopted by football commentators but not their invention:

"They try to play a very physical game and get on top of you early doors." That comes from a report on a football match I read recently. Early doors? What's that all about? It means 'at an early stage in the proceedings'.

But why 'doors'? Where did that come from? Nobody knows for certain, but the best guess is that it originally referred to theatres, music halls and similar places opening their doors in advance of the time when the advertised entertainment was due to begin.

Customers who slipped in then had a much better choice of seats than people who left it to the last moment, so from the outset 'early doors' implied gaining an advantage by taking action at the first opportunity.

« Reply #2863 on: 01 November, 2013, 07:42:57 am »
The phrase appears to have been adopted by football commentators but not their invention:

"They try to play a very physical game and get on top of you early doors." That comes from a report on a football match I read recently. Early doors? What's that all about? It means 'at an early stage in the proceedings'.

But why 'doors'? Where did that come from? Nobody knows for certain, but the best guess is that it originally referred to theatres, music halls and similar places opening their doors in advance of the time when the advertised entertainment was due to begin.

Customers who slipped in then had a much better choice of seats than people who left it to the last moment, so from the outset 'early doors' implied gaining an advantage by taking action at the first opportunity.
I've always assumed it was a theatrical expression as well. But the whole point is that 'early doors' is before the performance starts. In the quotation from the football commentary the word 'doors' is just a filler. The sentence means exactly the same with out the word 'doors'. Which is possibly the subject for an entirely different rant thread!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2864 on: 01 November, 2013, 08:34:42 am »
I thought it referred to pubs, but theatres makes more sense.
Getting there...

« Reply #2865 on: 01 November, 2013, 12:19:09 pm »
I though pubs too, from when they used to have strict opening hours, early doors meaning to go in the pub at 11:00am or 6:00pm as soon as they opened the doors. The theatre thing makes more sense though. I have always liked "snackle rattling" for the act of waiting for the pub to open its doors.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2866 on: 01 November, 2013, 12:33:49 pm »
It's not exactly a point of grammar, but ICBA to start a "bloody stupid footballing sayings" thread in the "Sporting Life" board.

Good, because the internet isn't big enough for that thread!
It is simpler than it looks.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2867 on: 01 November, 2013, 03:38:54 pm »
I though pubs too, from when they used to have strict opening hours, early doors meaning to go in the pub at 11:00am or 6:00pm as soon as they opened the doors.

Me three.

I used to work in an office in Ilkeston overlooking a pub. A queue would form at about 10:50 most mornings.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2868 on: 01 November, 2013, 08:06:26 pm »
Me 4!

Never heard the theatrical derivation before - I call foul.

Whatever the history of "early doors", it's modern usage definitely has a different meaning to just "early". Only a small difference, admittedly ...

And it's not just footballers - it's common in other sports. Rare - but not extinct - in Real Life.

(I rather like these phrases that are commonly used in sport but hardly ever elsewhere.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2869 on: 01 November, 2013, 08:10:25 pm »
Early doors is a reasonably common saying in and around York still. Always with the pub connotation though never heard it used about football.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2870 on: 01 November, 2013, 09:15:31 pm »
First time I ever heard it was in the 1990s, in rugby. The game, not the town.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
It is simpler than it looks.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2872 on: 02 November, 2013, 08:10:33 am »
Yes, I cringed too.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2873 on: 04 November, 2013, 09:32:34 am »
A tie between David and I.

Tut.

« Reply #2874 on: 05 November, 2013, 04:52:15 pm »
The OED says:

Quote from: OED
early doors
A. n. In a theatre, etc.: a period of admission ending some time before the performance begins, during which a wider selection of seating is available, usually for a higher price. Now hist.
B. adv. Early on; near the beginning. Freq. in the context of Association Football.

First quote for sense A is from 1883; for sense B from 1979.