Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856904 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #3000 on: 11 December, 2013, 10:13:37 pm »
Did anyone else want to be able to type 'No, your a dick'?
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3001 on: 11 December, 2013, 10:16:54 pm »
http://toys.usvsth3m.com/control-your-inner-pedant/

The results are in! Your inner pedant is
80% under control
You can tollerate most mistakes.

Actually, my inner pedant wanted to point out that several of the examples aren't actually misteaks.
Is that part of the test?

Depends what you can tollerate...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3002 on: 16 December, 2013, 05:58:59 pm »
(there may be a better thread for this, but anyway ... )

Heard on the Today programme recently:
"It's heart-rendering".
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

red marley

« Reply #3003 on: 16 December, 2013, 07:18:11 pm »
Were they describing the Turkey Twizzler manufacturing process?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3004 on: 16 December, 2013, 07:22:37 pm »
 ;D

Sadly no - it was actually quite a heart-rending sad item, so I thought twice about posting.

... but of course taking the piss out of the ignorant always wins out.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3005 on: 22 December, 2013, 08:19:48 pm »
Not grammar,more like a typing error,but spacing errors in typing always make me cringe.Even though they probably shouldn't.

Sometimes used on Twitter to considerable comic effect .See ,for example,@crimershow .

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3006 on: 20 January, 2014, 09:47:05 pm »
He had been stricken with a heart attack while reading proofs. Perhaps he died of a printing error.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
Re: Grammar what makes you cringe
« Reply #3007 on: 31 January, 2014, 08:20:18 am »
Sanguivoriphilia
Ouch! That's a horrible Latin/Greek hybrid. Try aimophagophilia, bdellophilia or bdelugmophilia. Love of, respectively, blood-eaters, bloodsuckers (specifically leeches, qv. bdellophobia, which is actually a word) and horrors and abominations. I like the last, with the echo of bdello-; "blood-sucking horror" is the mot juste.
Not especially helpful or mature

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #3008 on: 31 January, 2014, 08:26:29 am »
.See ,for example,@crimershow .
Yes! Everyone should see this. The website is here, for the far too many people who will need to catch up with the first two seasonries.
Not especially helpful or mature

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3009 on: 31 January, 2014, 04:17:19 pm »
This lunchtime, I encountered a bit of a grammar issue which irked me.  I was sitting in the cafe, and glanced across to the big chaps at the next table.  I think they probably worked out.  Anyway, one of them was wearing a nice looking flying jacket labelled in two places as 'Aviatrix'.

I've seen nonsense on t-shaped shirts before, but this grated more, for some reason.
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3010 on: 31 January, 2014, 04:37:28 pm »
Did they look like Amy Johnson?

« Reply #3011 on: 31 January, 2014, 04:39:14 pm »
Did they look like Amy Johnson?

I was going to ask if the jacket buttoned/zipped the 'wrong' way.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3012 on: 31 January, 2014, 04:41:55 pm »
I think you're suffering from a variant of hochkommakrankheit (I'm not convinced that this is a genuine word). It's just a brand name or slogan.  :) But still, if it makes you cringe, that's what it does.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3013 on: 31 January, 2014, 05:24:24 pm »
This lunchtime, I encountered a bit of a grammar issue which irked me.  I was sitting in the cafe, and glanced across to the big chaps at the next table.  I think they probably worked out.  Anyway, one of them was wearing a nice looking flying jacket labelled in two places as 'Aviatrix'.

I've seen nonsense on t-shaped shirts before, but this grated more, for some reason.
I've seen a few adverts for US micro-brewers with a picture of a so-called 'brewster' with a bushy beard. Unless they're all like Steph, I think they're suffering from the same misunderstanding.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3014 on: 06 February, 2014, 04:30:58 pm »
I've received notification from The School that teacher X is unavailable for parent-teacher consultation this evening, due to 'unexpected illness'.
Is there expected illness then?
(Awaits examples, fellow pedants).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3015 on: 06 February, 2014, 05:35:48 pm »
You can expect a baby and its birth and plan elective surgery or medical investigations, I suppose.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3016 on: 06 February, 2014, 06:03:05 pm »
^^^Given pestilential kids, that fits.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3017 on: 06 February, 2014, 08:28:32 pm »
You can expect a baby and its birth and plan elective surgery or medical investigations, I suppose.

They're not illnesses, though, are they? Turns out (according to No2Daughter who had chemistry with him this morning) he's not ill, he had to go to A&E, as last night's football injury ballooned today into not-something-you-can-ice-away.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3018 on: 06 February, 2014, 09:19:56 pm »
We're experiencing the tail end of a round of expected illness in this house, after putting up visitors from Forn Parts whose immune systems weren't tuned into the Piccadilly Line.

I don't think it's entirely uncommon to go into some situation in the full knowledge that you're likely to contract lurgy from it.  Primary school teaching, epidemiology fieldwork, freshers' week, that sort of thing.

Re: Grammar that doesn't make you cringe
« Reply #3019 on: 07 February, 2014, 01:53:36 am »
The Home Service, earlier this evening (well, yesterday evening now); some chap from a cancer research mob:-

"these data," repeatedly.

Hurrah!

« Reply #3020 on: 07 February, 2014, 08:35:05 am »
Ooh that's a tough one. Datum is the latin singular and data is plural but even the OED admits that data is a word in flux and that common usage is for it to be treated as singular. It's sort of on it's way to being a collective noun. You would never say these flock when referring to a group of sheep. Agenda is similar in that it's technical plural but no one ever says "these agenda" unless referring to the fact that say your and my agendas (ooh look a plural plural) clash.
I like the older usage though but it does get confusing as "these data" could be referring to two separate collections of datums, you would need more context. 
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #3021 on: 07 February, 2014, 08:51:35 am »
I struggle with it too. I prefer to use "these data". But then, I still write, and sometimes say, "whom".

« Reply #3022 on: 07 February, 2014, 09:19:30 am »
Yes, I agree with the idea that it's becoming a sort-of collective noun. I almost always initially use 'this data' (or another singular indicator), cringe internally, and find another way of phrasing it.

I rather admired the guy on the wireless using it correctly and sticking with it: by the third or fourth repetition it was beginning to sound right. ('Right' as in 'not unusual' -it was always 'right' as in 'correct'!)

« Reply #3023 on: 07 February, 2014, 09:27:48 am »
Yes, I agree with the idea that it's becoming a sort-of collective noun. I almost always initially use 'this data' (or another singular indicator), cringe internally, and find another way of phrasing it.

I rather admired the guy on the wireless using it correctly and sticking with it: by the third or fourth repetition it was beginning to sound right. ('Right' as in 'not unusual' -it was always 'right' as in 'correct'!)

I think 'this data' for a data set, and 'these data' for several sets, is fine.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3024 on: 07 February, 2014, 10:59:51 am »
Have we already had medium/media/medias?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight