Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856704 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #3575 on: 16 June, 2015, 02:04:29 pm »
I can verb any noun.

The real challenge is verbing adjectives. If you can master that, a career in writing advertising slogans is yours.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #3576 on: 16 June, 2015, 02:29:21 pm »
What about verbing nouns that have been adjectived?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3577 on: 16 June, 2015, 04:28:00 pm »
In my view, a sentence using "favorite" as a verb is already clunky and inelegant - and American.  However, I can see you are in a difficult editorial position if you are going to use articles which contain internet-speak.

I don't see it as a difficulty. Many nouns become verbs through common use and eventually take hold in more formal language despite resistance.

Ask yourself this: are you resisting the usage on strong grammatical grounds, or simply because it's a neologism?

Wouldn't 'bookmark' be a more appropriate verb for the context?

QED. Once upon a time, using bookmark as a verb would have been similarly reviled.

(And the answer is no anyway: bookmarking applies to web pages, while favouriting applies to individual posts on social media sites.)

Top post. I think you just medalled.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3578 on: 16 June, 2015, 04:44:37 pm »
Bronzed, anyway.

(And I think that might just technically be a noun turned into an adjective turned into a verb – in letter if not in spirit.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3579 on: 16 June, 2015, 04:59:51 pm »
In my view, a sentence using "favorite" as a verb is already clunky and inelegant - and American.  However, I can see you are in a difficult editorial position if you are going to use articles which contain internet-speak.

I don't see it as a difficulty. Many nouns become verbs through common use and eventually take hold in more formal language despite resistance.

Ask yourself this: are you resisting the usage on strong grammatical grounds, or simply because it's a neologism?

Neologisms are inevitable in a developing language, which English is.  However, I don't think that means that because a neologism exists that I am required to approve of it.  And that is not Luddite but love of a language I feel is usually perfectly adequate already for most purposes; not only adequate but beautiful.  "Favorite" isn't even English, but even if it was, its use is a distortion: how can you have any number of favo(u)rites?  (I must confess I'm only making an assumption about how it is used, as I don't use FB, twitter and so on.)

But my original post just said I find it clunky and inelegant.  I'm perfectly happy with that!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3580 on: 16 June, 2015, 05:18:12 pm »
Neologisms are inevitable in a developing language, which English is.  However, I don't think that means that because a neologism exists that I am required to approve of it.

Well, no - our approval or disapproval is strictly irrelevant. I'm interested in the reasons for disapproval though, as it may affect my opinion of the person doing the disapproving. ;)

how can you have any number of favo(u)rites?

OK, if you're bothered by the use of a superlative when a comparative would be more appropriate, rather than the verbing of a noun, that's another matter. I hadn't considered that objection, probably because I do use social media and have thus become oblivious to it.

Reminds me - I saw an ad on the underground the other day for a personalised gift service with the slogan, "For a gift as unique as he is."

:sick: :sick: :sick:

But my original post just said I find it clunky and inelegant.  I'm perfectly happy with that!

Fair enough!

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3581 on: 16 June, 2015, 05:41:49 pm »
All good stuff!  Talk about language is usually fascinating.

Verbing of nouns (to use the shorthand completely understandable and totally inelegant phrase!) exists and communicates in its way.  I wonder how much of it is an improvement on what went before.

red marley

« Reply #3582 on: 16 June, 2015, 10:24:34 pm »
However, I don't think that means that because a neologism exists that I am required to approve of it.

For me, approval/disapproval (probably too strong a sentiment, but you know what I mean) depends on whether a new use of language tends to add precision and richness or whether it introduces ambiguity and diminishes its descriptive power:

:thumbsup: 'favourite' as a verb because it relates an activity not easily described in so few words.

:hand: 'literally' for emphasis because it removes the ability to specify 'not metaphorically' so precisely.

:thumbsup: 'friend' as a verb in a social media context rather than reusing the more grammatically conventional 'befriend'

:hand: 'phenomena' singular because it removes the ability to distinguish one from many alien visitations.

« Reply #3583 on: 16 June, 2015, 10:59:21 pm »
:hand: 'phenomena' singular because it removes the ability to distinguish one from many alien visitations.

I *think* I have been fortunate enough to have avoided seeing "phenomena" singular: "criteria," on the other hand ...

« Reply #3584 on: 16 June, 2015, 11:03:12 pm »
I came across "medias" recently ::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3585 on: 16 June, 2015, 11:15:51 pm »

Did everything turn to gold?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3586 on: 16 June, 2015, 11:16:45 pm »

Can't be any worse than 'children'.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3587 on: 16 June, 2015, 11:34:40 pm »

Uh?

« Reply #3588 on: 16 June, 2015, 11:37:56 pm »

Uh?

Technically "children" is a double plural as originally "child" was one or more small peeps. The same as "sheep" where the singular an plural are the same.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3589 on: 16 June, 2015, 11:51:06 pm »

Uh?
Coming across children is very much frowned upon nowadays.
It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3590 on: 17 June, 2015, 10:16:10 am »

Uh?

Technically "children" is a double plural as originally "child" was one or more small peeps. The same as "sheep" where the singular an plural are the same.
Isn't it more that the plural of child is childer, and children pluralises the plural?
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3591 on: 17 June, 2015, 10:36:39 am »
Wot Clarion sed. Child, childer, childeren. I wonder if this came about in a joke way, like saying "eggses", or maybe at some time in the past we had a distinction between a small number of childer and a larger number of childeren? Sort of like dual number. Or maybe childer in a family, childeren in general. Or maybe not.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3592 on: 17 June, 2015, 10:40:46 am »

Uh?

Isn't it more that the plural of child is childer, and children pluralises the plural?

Your right childer is a survivor of a middle English plural (cildru) in Northern dialect

cild = singular and nominative plural (old english)
cildru = plural (someone wanted to make the plural form clearer about 975, drifts to cildre in Middle English)
children = re plural (1200s the plural gets re pluralised)

So is this a double plural or triple plural ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3593 on: 17 June, 2015, 11:48:44 am »
That is an interesting question, as, in checking this out, I find that childer is also recorded as being used as a singular ???

I expect it comes up the same way Torpenhow Hill or the River Ouseburn got their names.
Getting there...

« Reply #3594 on: 17 June, 2015, 11:50:34 am »
Torpenhow - pronounced Trapenna!

« Reply #3595 on: 17 June, 2015, 12:10:15 pm »
And Pendle Hill.

A slight shift sideways but when learning basic Welsh it always threw me that

plant = children
plentyn = child

To my English-speaking mind it seemed as if they should be the other way round.

« Reply #3596 on: 17 June, 2015, 05:24:10 pm »
Lake Windermere, etc.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3597 on: 17 June, 2015, 05:32:52 pm »
Is it true that there is only one lake in the Lake District?
Getting there...

« Reply #3598 on: 17 June, 2015, 05:34:45 pm »
Pretty much!

« Reply #3599 on: 17 June, 2015, 05:44:56 pm »
I had no idea childer was a real word. I thought it was just fboab family lore that the loinfruit of my parents are collectively known as childers.