Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856747 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #3950 on: 06 December, 2015, 07:14:35 pm »
I much prefer foreigners who learn their english from the World Service than from USian TV/movies.

For sure.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

red marley

« Reply #3951 on: 06 December, 2015, 07:35:17 pm »
While in Indonesia I noticed that Chinese people, when describing things in English, often said things like "it's the colour green" or "it's red in colour."

I don't need to be told red, green or whatever is a colour. I never noticed you saying something was "square/round/triangular in shape." Why do you feel the need to tell me you're talking about a colour when you have given me the name of a colour and that name can't be confused with anything other than a colour?  If you don't tell me you're talking about a colour I'm not likely to think you mean "it's purple in taste" am I?

Possibly it's something that comes from Chinese words or language. I don't know. If that's the case I have to live with it. I do know that, for me, it's cringe-worthy.

I've removed the redundancy from your post in the hope you will be able to cringe a little less when you re-read it. HTH.

BTW, you can blame that particular idiom entirely on Paul Sherwen and Phil Liggett.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3952 on: 06 December, 2015, 10:41:08 pm »
Following an audit at work, apparently there are 'some documents out of sink...'.   ::-)

At least they will be dry.

;D ;D ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3953 on: 07 December, 2015, 07:48:53 am »
SHERWEN!!1!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #3954 on: 07 December, 2015, 08:13:01 am »
SHERWEN!!1!

OK, Sherwen it is, but isn't  there something just a tad ironic about defending the correct spelling of his name, when his English grammar (don't know about his spelling) is way off the cringe scale?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3955 on: 07 December, 2015, 08:33:11 am »
That's why we have the annual threads at TdF time to give Pinky and Perky a righteous verbal drubbing ;D

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #3956 on: 07 December, 2015, 08:42:57 am »
That's why we have the annual threads at TdF time to give Pinky and Perky a righteous verbal drubbing ;D

Right, haven't seen those; must remember to log in - always assuming the dynamic duo haven't finally been put out to grass.  Although, considering how long it took the BBC to pension off that other word-mangler, Hugh Porter (has he actually gone?), we may have a few more years yet to endure. Admittedly, it might almost be a pity when they go, depriving us of a chance to mock.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3957 on: 07 December, 2015, 09:13:15 am »
Criticising Chinese people in Indonesia for their stylistically imperfect English seems rather grumpy.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3958 on: 07 December, 2015, 09:32:45 am »
Last time I watched any track racing on the Beeb Hugh Porter was still extant.  ITV need to get David Millar up to speed so they can have him and Chris Boardman full-time and send cycling's equivalent of the Chuckle Brothers to the Alpe d'Huez Home For The Terminally Bewildered :demon:

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3959 on: 07 December, 2015, 09:38:47 am »
I thought the Beeb moved Hugh Porter to swimming. I assume something as a cyclist he is qualified to talk about.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

ian

« Reply #3960 on: 07 December, 2015, 09:55:10 am »
Criticising Chinese people in Indonesia for their stylistically imperfect English seems rather grumpy.

Hold on, isn't this entire thread dedicated to grumpy curmudgeons' attempts demonstrate their intellectual supremacy through criticising the perceived mistakes of others?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3961 on: 07 December, 2015, 09:59:49 am »

Hold on, isn't this entire thread dedicated to grumpy curmudgeons' attempts to demonstrate their intellectual supremacy through criticising the perceived mistakes of others?
Indeed.

We criticise the brits, yanks and chinese here - noone gets a free pass. And there are double points for intellectual supremacy in areas beyond grammar. Because we can.

(although I stand by my criticism of the "Indonesia" post :) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ian

« Reply #3962 on: 07 December, 2015, 10:00:55 am »
I did that purpose.

« Reply #3963 on: 07 December, 2015, 10:11:39 am »
While in Indonesia I noticed that Chinese people, when describing things in English, often said things like "it's the colour green" or "it's red in colour."

I don't need to be told red, green or whatever is a colour. I never noticed you saying something was "square/round/triangular in shape." Why do you feel the need to tell me you're talking about a colour when you have given me the name of a colour and that name can't be confused with anything other than a colour?  If you don't tell me you're talking about a colour I'm not likely to think you mean "it's purple in taste" am I?

Possibly it's something that comes from Chinese words or language. I don't know. If that's the case I have to live with it. I do know that, for me, it's cringe-worthy.

I've removed the redundancy from your post in the hope you will be able to cringe a little less when you re-read it. HTH.

BTW, you can blame that particular idiom entirely on Paul Sherwen and Phil Liggett.
So much subtlety missed by you, not understood and, therefore, deleted.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3964 on: 07 December, 2015, 10:17:39 am »
Should "handbags" be hyphenated?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #3965 on: 07 December, 2015, 10:19:51 am »
Should "handbags" be hyphenated?

Scumbags usually isn't. If that's any help :-\

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3966 on: 07 December, 2015, 10:34:42 am »

Hold on, isn't this entire thread dedicated to grumpy curmudgeons' attempts to demonstrate their intellectual supremacy through criticising the perceived mistakes of others?
Indeed.

We criticise the brits, yanks and chinese here - noone gets a free pass. And there are double points for intellectual supremacy in areas beyond grammar. Because we can.

(although I stand by my criticism of the "Indonesia" post :) )
And I second you on that.

You're still wrong about something though. I'm just not sure what, but I'm going to prove it using my intellectual, moral and grammatical supremacy, because in those matters I am a supreme suprematist.

Or something.

Yours, with love,
A Curmudgeon
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3967 on: 07 December, 2015, 11:55:27 am »
I really cringe at:
"over-top" v.
[I'm assuming its hyphenated; I've only heard it on the radio news in flood reports]

It does seem to be a useful specific term, but by eck it's ugly!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3968 on: 07 December, 2015, 11:57:59 am »
I really cringe at:
"over-top" v.
[I'm assuming its hyphenated; I've only heard it on the radio news in flood reports]

It's  civil engineering jargon. Overtop, I think, no hyphen.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3969 on: 08 December, 2015, 02:14:20 pm »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3970 on: 08 December, 2015, 05:11:23 pm »
^^^ looks like a cut'n'pastry error - a notice in future tense sloppily transposed into the past tense after the meeting was over.

I really cringe at:
"over-top" v.

I'm sure I've seen it as o'ertop in a poem somewhere. Doesn't worry me, as a verb.  As a noun, WTF?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3971 on: 08 December, 2015, 05:21:15 pm »
"A fantastic £80 value." This sentence crops up loads on QVC and the like (which I find myself watching at 2:00am if I can't get to sleep).
I know value can be a noun but it just feels wrong in this construction.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3972 on: 08 December, 2015, 07:30:16 pm »
Is this a new variation on
"... $80 in value"
???
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #3973 on: 08 December, 2015, 08:51:47 pm »
Getting really irritated by people being interviewed on TV and radio starting every answer with "So". Where the hell has this come from?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3974 on: 09 December, 2015, 12:58:14 am »
Getting really irritated by people being interviewed on TV and radio starting every answer with "So". Where the hell has this come from?

Suspect that's a way of playing for time.