Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856733 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #4200 on: 12 April, 2016, 08:46:24 pm »
I robbed the bottle cages off my old bike = I stole the bottle cages from my old bike
or to put it another way
I robbed my old bike of the bottle cages.
Just like "I robbed this Brompton off/from Kim" or "I robbed Kim of this Brompton" or "I stole this Brompton from Kim" or "I robbed Kim and stole this Brompton". And I'm giving it back now because I don't want it and I can't sell it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4201 on: 13 April, 2016, 10:32:17 am »
"Robbing" is certainly in common usage for "stealing" on Merseyside.  They've probably got two hundred words for theft, though ;)

Mostly stolen from other languages or dialects.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4202 on: 13 April, 2016, 11:02:08 am »
I robbed the bottle cages off my old bike = I stole the bottle cages from my old bike

Steal is what they think it means, etc, etc. That doesn't mean that it does.  Who was it said that if you tell a lie often enough it becomes the truth? Same with grammar.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4203 on: 13 April, 2016, 11:05:21 am »
Definitely true with grammar! In a way... Does that mean grammar is lies?  :o

« Reply #4204 on: 13 April, 2016, 11:13:31 am »

Steal is what they think it means, etc, etc. That doesn't mean that it does.  Who was it said that if you tell a lie often enough it becomes the truth? Same with grammar.

Rob and steal are almost synonyms. They are slightly different in that steal normally places focus on the object that was taken and rob more on the act itself.
Robbed is grammatically correct in the case in question its just not common usage in the south of the UK. That doesn't make it incorrect.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4205 on: 13 April, 2016, 03:51:04 pm »

Rob and steal are almost synonyms. They are slightly different in that steal normally places focus on the object that was taken and rob more on the act itself.
Robbed is grammatically correct in the case in question its just not common usage in the south of the UK. That doesn't make it incorrect.
Robbery involves the threat or use of violins violence.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4206 on: 13 April, 2016, 04:16:59 pm »
That would be my normal definition of robbery too.

« Reply #4207 on: 13 April, 2016, 04:53:28 pm »

In its literal use.  But we use language in all kinds of ways other than baldly literal.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #4208 on: 14 April, 2016, 08:24:10 am »
Those Clever people at Cardington are fitting engines to gases now...

Hybrid Air Vehicles said the Airlander was the first of a new generation of airships to be built there and was filled with helium with diesel engines.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-36031101
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #4209 on: 14 April, 2016, 09:18:04 am »
Quote from: the noticeboard outside the gym in my office building
Judy is away from 22 April for she and Graham's annual trip to Jazz Fest in New Orleans

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4210 on: 14 April, 2016, 09:49:32 am »

Chambers* gives it as "the act or process, or an instance, of robbing, especially theft with threats, force or violence."  I read that as meaning that violence or threat is implied but not necessary for an act to be robbery.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4211 on: 14 April, 2016, 11:27:10 am »
Those Clever people at Cardington are fitting engines to gases now...

Hybrid Air Vehicles said the Airlander was the first of a new generation of airships to be built there and was filled with helium with diesel engines.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-36031101

My work might take me there. #excited.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #4212 on: 14 April, 2016, 11:58:59 am »
In a BBC news article about ParkRun:

"Surely a £ or 2 is little price to pay for such a fantastic opportunity?"

I suppose it isn't strictly grammar, but it's stylistically awful, especially given that it is quoting what someone said. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4213 on: 14 April, 2016, 03:11:16 pm »
And while this is just a typo, it's a good'un:

"The cameras also have a global shutter so there won’t be any rolling shitter going on with this device."**

Thought they were talking about an action cam for cyclists at first.

They'll probably correct it ASAP.

** http://bokeh.digitalrev.com/article/facebook-launches-3d-virtual-reality-360-camera

« Reply #4214 on: 14 April, 2016, 11:16:03 pm »

Chambers* gives it as "the act or process, or an instance, of robbing, especially theft with threats, force or violence."  I read that as meaning that violence or threat is implied but not necessary for an act to be robbery.

IIRC, the violence (or threat thereof) is necessary for it *legally* to be robbery (Theft Acts passim, I think).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4215 on: 15 April, 2016, 08:30:52 am »
So someone who breaks into a bank when nobody is there and empties the safe is not guilty of robbery. And isn't it only burglary after dark?

« Reply #4216 on: 15 April, 2016, 09:54:07 am »
Aye, they'd be a bank burglar, but it doesn't have to be after nightfall.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4217 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:05:25 am »
Funny that. Things have probably changed.  I remember hearing on something like the Round Britain Quiz that before dark it'd be breaking and entering, but after it'd be burglary.  Possibly B&E doesn't imply with theft aforethought whereas with burglary that's assumed.  Quite possibly, too, the law has changed since the 60s.

« Reply #4218 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:10:17 am »
"My daddy was a bankrobber bank burgler but he never hurt nobody"

I better give The Clash a ring. They slipped in a double negative there as well.
Typical rock stars with their loud music and sloppy grammar. 
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4219 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:23:19 am »
The Clash are alright: as long as daddy was using threats of violence he can still be a robber while hurting no-one.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4220 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:24:58 am »
So someone who breaks into a bank when nobody is there and empties the safe is not guilty of robbery. And isn't it only burglary after dark?

Funnily enough, this came up on the radio the other day - can't remember exactly where, probably on Radcliffe & Maconie's 6music show. Anyway, what they said was that the bank has to be open for it to be robbery. Otherwise it's burglary. They didn't specify if it has to be dark.

I guess it has to be open for the threat of violence to be possible.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4221 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:27:30 am »

Funnily enough, this came up on the radio the other day - can't remember exactly where, probably on Radcliffe & Maconie's 6music show. Anyway, what they said was that the bank has to be open for it to be robbery. Otherwise it's burglary. They didn't specify if it has to be dark.

I guess it has to be open for the threat of violence to be possible.
No, there could be staff working after it's closed.
#pedantry101

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4222 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:28:51 am »
And what if they threaten to blow up the empty building? Does that count as violence?
#pedantry102

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4223 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:48:38 am »
No, there could be staff working after it's closed.
#pedantry101

True. I imagine that was the reasoning for whoever came up with the definition though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4224 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:49:12 am »
Damage to a building is not the same as violence to a person.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...