Author Topic: Centennial BRM in September  (Read 5017 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Centennial BRM in September
« on: 26 February, 2021, 09:00:03 am »
September 2021 will mark 100 years since the first ever randonneur brevet (BRM now). 77 riders tackled the 200km route to finish in under 16 hours. Our time limits are a little tighter now but the road surface is probably better too. I wonder if I will be able to join the centennial celebration in France this year.

https://www.audax-club-parisien.com/en/2021/01/01/bonne-annee-2021-en/
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: Centennial BRM in September
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2021, 09:39:50 am »
Any clue about the route?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2021, 09:52:38 am »
No but the centennial brevet is organised by the ACP and will almost certainly start close to an RER station near the edge of Paris.

The original 200 randonnee started from la Port Maillot in Paris but the suburbs didn’t extend very far and they didn’t have many traffic lights back in 1921. Like most cyclists pre-WW2, they tended to stick to the flatter and faster main roads.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2021, 07:40:52 pm »
Oh wow.

Even if getting to the Paris ride proves too difficile, it would be cool to ride a 200 around the same.  :thumbsup:

(something to look forward to. Huzzah!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2021, 03:42:57 pm »
The ACP’s brevet will start and finish in Versailles, so quite easy to get to (C19 aside). https://www.audax-club-parisien.com/en/2021/04/18/brm-200-century-anniversary/

It seems that the ACP will be issuing commemorative medals to riders who finish their 200 BRM but also to riders finishing any 200 BRM on 11 September 2021, at least in other countries. From a RUSA organiser, “The SCR season wraps up with another Moss Beach 200k brevet on Saturday, September 11, but this time the route will be used to celebrate the centennial anniversary of the Audax Club Parisien "allure libre" brevet format we all enjoy so much. Finishers of this ride will be entitled to get a special commemorative ACP medal. Don't miss this one!”

Are there any UK BRM 200s in the calendar that day? I can only find BPs and BRs in the calendar around that date, not BRMs.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2021, 04:01:55 pm »
That's quite something. And good to see the tradition of stamps being more than just stamps is a hundred years old or more.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2021, 04:14:23 pm »
That particular brevet card was from 1923, so who knows?

Historical PBP brevet cards look like https://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/pbp/control-booklets.html

« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2021, 12:40:30 am »

With a special chicken on it  :thumbsup:

Perhaps ACP will allow some late added BRM calendar events for UK?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2021, 12:44:39 pm »
https://www.audax-club-parisien.com/en/our-organizations/brm-world/#calendar can be filtered for all of UK’s BRMs this year. There is one 200 BRM listed for the UK on 11 September and one 300 BRM.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2021, 04:06:39 pm »
neither appearing on audax.uk but an event I've entered does, oh well...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2021, 06:38:23 pm »
Other AUK 200s are BRs (AUK homologated) while ACP only recognises BRMs.

« Reply #11 on: 23 May, 2021, 09:20:39 pm »
Because of the disruption caused by the pandemic, ACP may accept late scheduled BRMs.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 23 May, 2021, 09:29:13 pm »
I guess that a good time to ask the ACP for brevets in September might be in May or June.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 24 May, 2021, 06:33:09 am »
Because of the disruption caused by the pandemic, ACP may accept late scheduled BRMs.
Makes sense  :thumbsup:  :)

In the meantime, could you clarify what has happened to the two events they currently list?
11/09/2021   United Kingdom   200   Calderdale CTC   Chris Crossland   chris.crossland@halifaxctc.org.uk               
11/09/2021   United Kingdom   300   Kingston Whs   Daniel Smith   sdrpkwac@gmail.com   
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #14 on: 24 May, 2021, 06:54:04 pm »
Don't know about the first one but the second has been on the AUK website for a while.
https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8725

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 08 July, 2021, 09:34:05 am »
There is a second BRM 200 on 11 September https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9024 along with BRs and longer BRMs (which likely may not qualify for the commemorative 200 medal).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 24 August, 2021, 12:54:30 pm »
Both the Aussies and Yanks are publicising the centenary of BRMs and the special medal for finishing a 200 BRM that day.

https://audax.org.au/feature-ride/celebrate-100-years-of-brm-rides-and-40-years-of-audax-australia/

https://rusa.org/sites/default/files/2021-08/2021-08-18.pdf

AUK, not so much!

« Reply #17 on: 24 August, 2021, 01:00:32 pm »
BRM: The event will now be run under BRM rules (i.e. under the auspices of Audax Club Parisien), to mark the centenary of ACP / Audax as we know it.  There MAY be special commemorative medals and brevet cards. The UK ACP rep is currently looking into this (we're a bit behind the curve). Hopefully a nice additional keep-sake. GIVEN THE ONE-OFF NATURE OF THIS OPPORTUNITY (EVEN IF ONLY SYMBOLIC) IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED IF YOU COULD NOTIFY ME OF ANY DNS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, TO ALLOW OTHERS TO RIDE.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 24 August, 2021, 01:34:00 pm »
Which event is that, boab? The Tally-Ho?

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #19 on: 24 August, 2021, 02:08:10 pm »
Does anyone know more about that special medal, in particular in acquiring one? (assuming you finish a BRM on 11/11)

I did hear that the national bodies had to tell ACP last year they wanted the special medals (and Randonneurs Netherlands didn't); is there a way to get the medal directly from ACP?

« Reply #20 on: 24 August, 2021, 03:39:43 pm »
Reading some of the RUSA stuff on NJ Randonneurs fb page it seems that the organiser has been allocated a certain number (30) of medals for their event from RUSA. If there are more finishers than medals they suggest,
"If we run out of medals at the event, they will be available to other finishers via the RUSA online store. I don't believe there will be any charge for these (definitely not at the event, and probably not via the store)."

« Reply #21 on: 24 August, 2021, 04:06:21 pm »
Which event is that, boab? The Tally-Ho?
Yep.
The organiser has also had a few drop outs, SBR facebook had a post, he wants to field a full, erm, field.

« Reply #22 on: 24 August, 2021, 07:07:21 pm »
Having just done France-UK-France (as a motorised tourist) I found it to be relatively easy. The hardest bit to organise is the test and UK paperwork going France-UK. But I do have the EU vaccine pass! I do not know if Bojo's mob have got the equivalence sorted out for UK vaccines going into France (everything seems to have gone a bit quiet, it may be sorted; I will have to check the current french smallprint). It should be noted that in France you now need a vaccine pass to get into restaurants, sports events, festivals etc. Since these all attract tourist money it seems likely that there is a solution out there! If anyone wanted to do a particular french BRM it is probably not impossible (but don't forget the masks!)

I say I found it relatively easy - I was stressed as hell before the trip, not to mention the isolation rules changing in between booking everything and leaving!

« Reply #23 on: 25 August, 2021, 07:29:16 am »
Both the Aussies and Yanks are publicising the centenary of BRMs and the special medal for finishing a 200 BRM that day.

https://audax.org.au/feature-ride/celebrate-100-years-of-brm-rides-and-40-years-of-audax-australia/

https://rusa.org/sites/default/files/2021-08/2021-08-18.pdf

AUK, not so much!

Unfortunately COVID Delta has got in the way of the Oz editions in a big way.

The 08/Sept Audax Australia 40th Anniversary 600s from Sydney & Melbourne to Albury have been cancelled already along with the week of celebration rides & GT Series in Albury (11-18/Sept) and likely the Canberra-Albury 600 too.

The Centenary of the BRM 200 (11/Sept) in Sydney will almost certainly be cancelled, (Sydney lockdown current since late June has been extended till the end of September). Unless case numbers improve significantly in the next week or two the Centenary rides in Melbourne, Ballarat, Wangaratta (previously starting at Albury) & Canberra are also in doubt. Other States/Regions look ok.

The Great Southern Randonnee (GSR) 1000/1200s in November have also been cancelled. So while trivial compared to other impacts of Delta  locally and overseas it nonetheless blows a 3 month hole in many of our plans and preparations, I am currently reduced to trying to do 100km within my current 5km allowed radius, 20x5km circuits of my local (fortunately largish) park make it possible but a bit boring.

https://audax.org.au/covid-update-13-august-2021/

« Reply #24 on: 25 August, 2021, 09:51:12 am »
Does anyone know more about that special medal, in particular in acquiring one? (assuming you finish a BRM on 11/11)

I did hear that the national bodies had to tell ACP last year they wanted the special medals (and Randonneurs Netherlands didn't); is there a way to get the medal directly from ACP?

Not the national bodies but the ACP correspondents. The ACP doesn't have contacts with national bodies but with ACP correspondents.