Author Topic: Three Bromptons, a Moulton and a Bickerton 200 and Hovingham Hundred  (Read 3739 times)

Re: Three Bromptons, a Moulton and a Bickerton 200 and Hovingham Hundred
« Reply #25 on: 27 February, 2022, 09:54:02 am »
That seemed to go alright - 83 riders across the two events (mainly on the 200) and just the one DNF. Plus one who got on the wrong train but rode the route anyway and called in for a cuppa (when I read her email I thought it was the worst excuse I'd ever heard, but it had really happened).

There was some annoying sunshine and, as promised, a wooden spoon prize. Later riders may have been force-fed cheesecake, but they didn't seem to mind that much.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #26 on: 27 February, 2022, 10:47:14 am »
That was a grand day out. 

I set off promptly on the 200 and managed an impressive 5km before groups started flying past me.  I reckoned that there were still plenty riders behind me and soon enough a huge group arrived, travelling at a pace that I could hang onto (and did).  I was spat out the back on the lumps after Boroughbridge but soon reformed with smaller groups and arrived at Shelburn in decent time. 

After some debate it appeared that retracing to Tadcaster and using the A64 cyclepath would be quicker (the official route through Cawood was a no no due to flooding).  On arrival at the A64 flyover I could see no cyclepath so proceeded through Tadcaster in the general direction of York hoping that there would be a cyclepath wondering if riding on the A64 would be unwise.  At this point Aidan and his trike caught up with me and we were delighted to see there was a cycle path and we sailed into York and enjoyed a Londis lunch control stop (slightly irked by the "do you want another 2l bottle of water for 1p" and "do you want a bar of chocolate for £1 or donate a bar of chocolate to charity"  ??? stuff that now prevails in many service stations. 

Aidan hopped onto a small group that overtook me near Aldwark but I was too busy enjoying the tailwind doing most of the work.  I stopped again in Boroughbridge knowing that I would have to stop there or Ripon as there wern't many facilities after that.  The bit up to Newton le Willows was uncharted territory for me and while a tad lumpy was evenly graded and it was now a lovely afternoon (not sure it ever got near the forecast 10deg mind). 

The kms were ticking over nicely though I knew the final 20km or so would be straight into the wind.  As is traditional on a 200 at this point I was passed by a few small groups of "faster-on-the-road-but-spend-more-time-off-the-bike-than-me" who were all very cheery.  The last bit was something of a slog but I was heartened to realise that the Tadcaster / A64 retrace had actually taken distance off the original 206km event distance.  I decided to shun the A167 (probably heresy) and the final Brompton and rolled into the finish having ridden just over 202km. 

It was getting nippy when I finished and it must have been tough for full value riders.  Myself and a fellow rider from Newcastle both sought shelter from the cold wind as we stood waiting for the train north at Northallerton station.  Just as we were commenting on how cold it was, a group of scantily clad young women approached ready for a Saturday night somewhere.  Oh to be young! 

A couple of pints and a feed last night in Darlo and Im currently heading back to Edinburgh courtesy of LNER enjoying the views of the beautiful Northumberland coast.  Bike cleaning, a bin bag of stinly kit and a snooze are this afternoons tasks. 

G   

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/83787955

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #27 on: 27 February, 2022, 11:24:50 am »
This will be my first ever audax. Do we have to be there before the 8am start time to register or anything?

Everyone here wants to know how you enjoyed it.....
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #28 on: 27 February, 2022, 08:04:13 pm »
That seemed to go alright...

Oh Dean it was definitely alright.  In fact if the 100 wasn't such a beautiful ride I might not have stopped to take so many photos, and arrived back with more than 3 minutes to spare. ::-)  Not to mention the best mug collection ever experienced on an audax.

Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #29 on: 27 February, 2022, 09:08:12 pm »
Almost won the wooden spoon prize. Is this going to be regular feature?
Just analysed my track and if it weren't for spending a massive 3 hours and 17 minutes off the bike :o  I would have had a good run.
220 km by going all the way to Selby. 23kph average.

Part of the problem was going off route to visit the Cycle Heaven cafe across the river. It took so long to get a bacon sandwich that I thought that they had gone to find the pig. It was worth it just for the decent toilet though.

The riverside  cycle path up to Clfton was still pretty muddy so after a few goes at clearing mudguards we went back to the A19. 
Then there was the obligatory cup of tea at my house where one of my companions got a bit too comfortable.
Dean isn't joking about the cheesecake.

« Reply #30 on: 28 February, 2022, 08:52:56 am »
Cheers, Ben, though I can't see your photos :(

Well, someone mentioned it upthread and I had a suitable piece of tat. Probably not, though.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #31 on: 28 February, 2022, 10:02:05 am »

I can see them fine and they're up to Ben's usual standard. It looks like beautiful terrain. But you already know that :)
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #32 on: 28 February, 2022, 10:11:43 am »

Well, someone mentioned it upthread and I had a suitable piece of tat. Probably not, though.

Dean, I have the same problem, then I tried right-clicking on the icon to give me "open in new tab" - which works.

« Reply #33 on: 28 February, 2022, 10:52:14 am »

You arrived moments after I'd taken my photo. Interesting to see how we interpreted the scene differently. Both seem to work well.

IMG_3033

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #34 on: 28 February, 2022, 12:08:06 pm »
Dean, I have the same problem, then I tried right-clicking on the icon to give me "open in new tab" - which works.

Top tip. Thanks. Ben's photos giving a sneak preview of LEL 2022 route.
Much more scenic than Sherburn in Elmet.

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #35 on: 28 February, 2022, 01:18:20 pm »
Sorry the pics aren't behaving, they are not on anywhere sensible like flikr.

You arrived moments after I'd taken my photo. Interesting to see how we interpreted the scene differently. Both seem to work well.

Ah yes, it was a good spot for it!  My bike was slower than yours... ;D
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #36 on: 28 February, 2022, 01:52:25 pm »
Any strida in action photos? Would be a worthy contender for Audax rider bike of the month!

« Reply #37 on: 28 February, 2022, 02:16:41 pm »
Any strida in action photos? Would be a worthy contender for Audax rider bike of the month!

Not that I'm aware of. The closest I've seen is Deano's photo of the start, at which point I hadn't yet climbed aboard!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #38 on: 28 February, 2022, 09:23:53 pm »
Everyone here wants to know how you enjoyed it.....

Sat on a well padded office chair, thinking back on the day, I'd say yes, I enjoyed it. At the time, there were bits I really didn't enjoy, but mostly bits that I did.

The tailwind into York was sublime and a blessed relief from the headwinds into Sherburn.

I definitely enjoyed meeting Chris and Peter in Sherburn who took a tired, lanky Scotsman on an ill-fitting Brompton under their wings and without whom I wouldn't have made it round in the twelve and a half hours that I did, if I'd have made it under time at all. That said, it was somewhat galling to discover I missed out on the wooden spoon prize by a matter of minutes ;D

The sunset over the hills, somewhere between Ripon and Newton-le-Willows.

I was somewhat puzzled that there was no moonlight to guide us home, may have been too much cloud cover. I'm sure I could see the stars though but that might have just been me almost bonking in the last 10kms.

I guess the big question is will I do it again? The answer is an emphatic yes. (Maybe not on a Brompton though  ;))

A final thanks go to Dean for organising the whole shebang.