Author Topic: London Sightseer - 5 Sep 21  (Read 5059 times)

Re: London Sightseer cafe stop
« Reply #25 on: 12 July, 2021, 10:16:32 am »
I'd be interested in an E-W-E version.  It's also the kind of event which could be run in the depths of winter [high winds thought might cause the cable car to cease running]

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: London Sightseer cafe stop
« Reply #26 on: 25 August, 2021, 02:59:43 pm »
Anyone doing this on Sunday 5 Sept 21?      We have a group of 14 from the club (one who hasn't been to London before!) - we'll be riding as 2 or 3 groups.

Re: London Sightseer - 5 Sep 21
« Reply #27 on: 29 August, 2021, 09:24:05 am »
Morning.

I'm booked to do this ride next Sunday but have noticed in the route sheets that there are some gravel paths.

Will I be on my road bike (25c tyres) or should I clean up the CX bike ?

Thanks
Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

robgul

« Reply #28 on: 29 August, 2021, 09:29:33 am »
Morning.

I'm booked to do this ride next Sunday but have noticed in the route sheets that there are some gravel paths.

Will I be on my road bike (25c tyres) or should I clean up the CX bike ?

Thanks
Owen

25mm tyres worked for me (9 or 10 time ride veteran!) last time I rode in 2019 - it's all pretty much hard-pack - the longest section is along the river from Kingston to Hampton Court.  It's the cobbles near St Katherine's Dock that are "uncomfortable"  ;D

« Reply #29 on: 29 August, 2021, 10:21:44 am »
Thanks.

That's great
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #30 on: 04 September, 2021, 11:10:24 am »
HK will be looking later today at some GPX rerouting around the London Summer Run (Parliament Square to Tower Bridge) and London Duathlon (around Richmond Park) road closures. No doubt some grumbling will be involved.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

robgul

« Reply #31 on: 04 September, 2021, 12:03:20 pm »
HK will be looking later today at some GPX rerouting around the London Summer Run (Parliament Square to Tower Bridge) and London Duathlon (around Richmond Park) road closures. No doubt some grumbling will be involved.

Already sorted with a message from from Bill for the Summer Run:   

At Buck House take the 2nd exit from the Victoria Memorial, into Birdcage Walk to Parliament Square towards Westminster Bridge, turn left before bridge and onto the blue painted cycleway with the river on your right - follow that all the way to Tower Bridge and re-join the route [or, as our group is going to do :  immediately past London Bridge turn left up Fish Street Hill, past The Monument, into Gracechurch Street and then right into Leadenhall Market to rejoin the route]

The cycleway, having no junctions or lights, will be rather faster than the usual route . . . and still have some "sights" :

Scotland Yard (old & new)
Ministry of Defence
RAF Memorial
Cleopatra's Needle
Shell-Mex House (Art Deco building with big clock)
The Savoy Hotel (the front door - the one you usually see is really the back door!)
Somerset House (back of, was the Public Records Office)
The Temple (law chambers)
Unilever House
Blackfriars underpass (with separate cycle tunnel)
Wobbly footbridge (underneath it!)
Billingsgate Fish Market (the old one)
Pudding Lane (Great Fire of London started here, allegedly)
The Monument

The Duathlon website suggests that the events may be pretty much finished by late afternoon?  I need to have a look at an alternative route if necessary.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #32 on: 04 September, 2021, 12:09:13 pm »
I am not going to be able to remember all of those instructions and will be printing them out in a format that I can actually follow on the bike. Between that and a gpx, I might stay close to the correct route without excessive backtracking.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

robgul

« Reply #33 on: 06 September, 2021, 08:31:42 am »
Another brilliant day, despite the spanners thrown in the works for the route.

I was Chef d'Equipe for a group of 15 (two of whom had never been to London before!) and the plan was to ride as two groups - that fell apart as group two had a puncture about a mile from the start and then went the wrong way.  A group of 15 is never easy, but we did it - one highlight being the forced stop in Richmond Park as about 20 deer strolled across the road!

Hopefully Weds & Sun for the ride next year (I worked out that it must have been about my tenth Sightseer ride yesterday)

« Reply #34 on: 07 September, 2021, 08:49:41 pm »
Great day out, but I was a bit late with the sunblock.

Now our group is considering a bash around the velodrome on a hired fixie.