Author Topic: What was your favourite Audax?  (Read 6878 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: What was your favourite Audax?
« Reply #25 on: 18 August, 2021, 06:14:03 am »
The Mille Miglia always ends up at the top of the list, but honourable mentions for the West Highland 1000 for reasons stated above, the Kernow and SW600, any of the El Supremo rides for the roadside catering and the considerate routes.  And a couple of permanents, the Cambrian 4D for the north coast of Pembrokeshire on a summer evening, and the Cambrian 4C for the unrelenting challenge including Bwlch y Groes at dawn.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #26 on: 18 August, 2021, 06:16:14 am »
Favourite? Hmmm, most memorable....aahhhh, Dorset coast 200 C.2004 . One of my first Audax, but didn’t have route sheet plastic waterproof thing. Started off lovely on the race to ferry, got on with the first bunch, just, then twixt studland and Weymouth, the weather turned dramatically, route sheet had dissolved, got to checkpoint at Weymouth pub, and the rain was bouncing off the road about 4”. I was cold, shaking, no spare route sheet available, so set off again following others, got dropped, got lost, met up later with others, followed them back, but they were on the 100 km ride. Had dried up by now. Cracking day.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #27 on: 18 August, 2021, 08:45:40 am »
There are so many but here's a handful that spring to mind

West Highland 1000
Peacocks and Kites
The Elenith (rain, snow, hail and sunshine all in one day)
The Rural South
Border Castles
PBP

« Reply #28 on: 18 August, 2021, 02:04:38 pm »
For me I recall fondly:

The Cambrian 200 (which I rode a couple of times, perhaps 2006 and 2007 I think) - it was a challenging, beautiful route over the hills from Leominster to Machynlleth and back.  The second time I did the ride the sun shone all day and it was a tailwind home.  Just perfect, and possibly my best ever day on a bike.

The Tavistock rides organised by Mike Hunting and Linda Johnston.  I particular I recall the Three Moors 300, the three moors being Dartmoor, Exmoor, and Bodmin (in that order).  The year I rode it there was only a handful of us and it was a very lonely ride.  But I recall battling into a brutal westerly, finally reaching the turn at Davidstow, and then flying back at evens over Bodmin with a tremendous tailwind.  It just felt fantastic, and there was such a warm welcome at the arrivée.

The ones I miss the most are the Denmead rides organised by Dave and Pam Pilbeam.  There were so many of them during the course of a year that they came round so often. It made it so easy to meet up and ride with the same folk. Audax has never been quite the same for me since they stopped organising.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #29 on: 18 August, 2021, 02:13:14 pm »
Has to be The Snow Roads 300km

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #30 on: 18 August, 2021, 02:19:44 pm »
Been thinking about this, difficult question. I could answer it in several ways but the event that I have ridden the most must be a good candidate.

So, Terry Lister's Winter Warmer 200. I often do this to round off the calendar year. It's good to ride with a few familiar faces. The route is not too taxing but scenic and enjoyable. There's often the Sally Army playing carols in Alton and we used to enjoy the friendly cafe stop there which has now closed (was it called Poppys?).

By late afternoon the sun is setting as we approach Wheatley for final sustenance and if we are lucky the moon rises as we ride through the Chilterns for a last time.

It was also my first Audax where I discovered this wonderful sport of riding bikes and eating cake.

« Reply #31 on: 18 August, 2021, 04:51:38 pm »
Banbury Cross 400 from Sheffield - the right amount of lumpy to keep it interesting but not too much to make it too hard. In fact I've been struggling to think of a ride to do this weekend, might as well do that...

« Reply #32 on: 18 August, 2021, 10:14:55 pm »
The West Highlands 1000 [then the Winter Warmer]

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #33 on: 19 August, 2021, 09:43:06 am »
My vote would go for the Port Navigation 200. One of my favourite sections of audax riding (and cycling in general) was the section along the side of the cliffs and the sea on Mull.

Taking a few days touring up to the start of the ride probably helped make it feel special too :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #34 on: 19 August, 2021, 01:02:21 pm »
Borders of Belgium 1000 was a banger. Think we rode it in 2016?

The last Mille Cymru was brilliant. Almost packed on day 1, ended up giggling round the rest of it.

Chevy Chase 200 is one I love. Northumberland is one of my favourite places to ride a bike.

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #35 on: 19 August, 2021, 01:45:24 pm »
Any of the now, sadly, defunct Norfolk Nips series.

« Reply #36 on: 19 August, 2021, 05:32:53 pm »
Any of the now, sadly, defunct Norfolk Nips series.
Oh they were brilliant. I used to try to get to every one, and they are a fair way for me.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #37 on: 20 August, 2021, 02:27:41 pm »
I will let Sue and Keith know that the Nips were much appreciated. By me too,  as they made me ride winter ECE 200's
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #38 on: 20 August, 2021, 02:34:47 pm »
I will let Sue and Keith know that the Nips were much appreciated. Me too ,by me too,  as they made me ride winter ECE 200's
Please do. I had some correspondence with Keith where he told me they weren't running them anymore. Such a shame and I have to say, for me, only the Cycle Club Sudbury events come close to the Nips series.

« Reply #39 on: 20 August, 2021, 03:37:52 pm »
Don’t think there’s currently an organiser in Norfolk. Though could be wrong.

« Reply #40 on: 20 August, 2021, 04:08:15 pm »
Jonathans Greenway and Reed have both organised in Norfolk fairly recently. Covid has stretched the definition of recently though.

I remember the last set of Norfolk Nips fondly not least because they were some of my first audax. I live in Norwich.

« Reply #41 on: 20 August, 2021, 04:33:07 pm »
Borders of Belgium 1000 was a banger. Think we rode it in 2016?

Chevy Chase 200 is one I love. Northumberland is one of my favourite places to ride a bike.

^^

That.

Mosstrooper, too. Like a full fat version of the Chase.

I've done more Upper Thames than any other 200, so it must be pretty good. Or maybe it's just I always got birthday cake on it :D

« Reply #42 on: 20 August, 2021, 05:22:03 pm »
Please do. I had some correspondence with Keith where he told me they weren't running them anymore. Such a shame and I have to say, for me, only the Cycle Club Sudbury events come close to the Nips series.
Are you there tomorrow? The ACME ones are pretty good too :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #43 on: 20 August, 2021, 05:32:22 pm »
ALPI4000.

A proper adventure with veloboy and postie. After starting from Bormio we crossed into Switzerland over some big passes, waved at the Bernina railway, bombed through Saint Moritz, dropped back into Italy, rode passed Lake Como, Lugano and Maggiore, over more hills and to Biella. That was just day 1. From there over to France via Col de l'Iseran, back into Italy via Col du Petit Saint-Bernard, passed Sanctuary of Oropa and back to Biella. That was day 2 and 3.

Then two days through the baking hot Po Valley, passed Lake Garda and a final climb over Passo dello Stelvio.

It was the first ride I wondered if I'd actually get around because there was just so much climbing and the weather the day before we started was horrific. And that makes the whole experience even better.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #44 on: 20 August, 2021, 09:56:13 pm »
Are you there tomorrow? The ACME ones are pretty good too :thumbsup:
Afraid not. Bike packing in Suffolk for the weekend instead though. Enjoy your ride.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #45 on: 20 August, 2021, 10:07:12 pm »
Dorset Coast. Still the best 200 route in the calendar.

Mark Rigby-era BC 400 and BCM 600 are fond memories for all sorts of reasons, including chats with Mark himself.

John Hamilton's Mille Cymru Mk1 in 2010 because T03y and I just laffed our way round it.

Mille Pennines 2016 because everyone else quit on day 2.  ;D

https://audaxing.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/mille-cymru-with-paul-and-toby/
I only quit the Mille Pennines because my front brake seized up