Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3000740 times)

...you've been a real inspiration to me: my wife and I have recently bought bikes....
 I was dead chuffed by that.

I would be too
 :thumbsup:

Whilst I was stomping down to the park for my constitutional this evening, an Asda delivery van went past me. It turned right, and a few seconds later I saw it parked and its driver in the process of delivering goodies. He greeted me cheerily so I returned the compliment.

"Do you remember me?" he continued.

"Sorry, I don't," I replied.

"I used to work for the council, gardening and picking up litter, mostly in Churchill Gardens. You used to come through there with a dog, and sometimes I'd see you on your bike. Well, you've been a real inspiration to me: my wife and I have recently bought bikes and since we've been cycling I've lost over 2 stones in weight."

We continued to pass the time of day for a while, talking about this and that, as you do, but I was dead chuffed by that.
Brilliant !!   And that reminds me.

Many years ago I provisionally qualified as a cycling instructor. I was planning to complete the qualification by using my alternate Fridays off to do real teaching, then my employer pulled the plug on the alternate Fridays thing.

Anyway, roll on a few years and the Y6 group from the local school were having their cycle training day on the road past our house. I wandered out to see what was going on (I'm a governor at the school) and got chatting with one of the trainers.

It turned out that he had been inspired to qualify as a cycle trainer by a woman he'd been talking to whose husband had done the same. Upon a further bit of digging it turned out that that woman was Mrs hatler.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Well done all of you!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Parents say the funniest things…

We were over there for Sunday lunch today. My mum started telling me about a Val McDermid book she read recently. In one scene, police SOCO are investigating a murder scene in a bedroom. They open a drawer and find a butt plug…

Now, my dear old mum, a sprightly 70-something, has no idea what one of these might be. She hazards a guess it might be something you use to prevent spoiling yourself if you have diarrhoea but wants to know for sure so…

(Oh no, please don’t tell me this is going where I think it is…)

Yes, that’s right. She looked it up on the internet.

Now, thanks to an article she found, she is fully apprised on the ‘14 things you need to know about butt plugs’.

Never too late to learn something new.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Don't the UK ones have fuses?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
Don't the UK ones have fuses?
And three pins!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
What's that saying again, about square pegs...?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Moving swiftly on...

Today is My Dear Wife's birthday. That means, in completed years, she is now 50 years older than she was when we first met.

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
;D  And Happy Birthday to MrsW.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Happy birthday to Mrs Wow  :thumbsup:. And surviving 50ish years of Wowbagger  :demon:.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
We met at college in September 1972, so a few months more to go for the true 50th anniversary.

My memory was that I had my interview on 25th September, a Monday, (I was a late applicant because of shite A level results and clearing houses) and I started the following Friday. The calendar for 1972 bears out these memories.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Happy Birthday Jan!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Beardy

• Shedist
I had a very strange dream last night. At least, I think I did. I remember thinking ‘this is a very strange dream’, but right now I’ve no idea what it was about.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I had a very strange dream last night. At least, I think I did. I remember thinking ‘this is a very strange dream’, but right now I’ve no idea what it was about.

Me too
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
39th wedding anniversary later this week.  I've checked, and found that lace is deemed a suitable gift for 39th.
Luckily, I have a spare pair of laces in the stuff drawer In my room. I may spoil her and give the whole pair.

I may get away with it.  Last year was beryl.  Not a particularly interesting metal, so I bought her a Beryl Cook calender, which went down well.  (Along with the flowers, card, lovingly cooked meal etc)

I do realise that I won't be getting away with this sort of thing next year.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Next year you can give her a CD of Ruby Tuesday! I'd probably rather have a Beryl Cook calendar than actual beryl myself (but not so much that I'm going to marry Basil).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
39th wedding anniversary later this week.  I've checked, and found that lace is deemed a suitable gift for 39th.
Luckily, I have a spare pair of laces in the stuff drawer In my room. I may spoil her and give the whole pair.

I may get away with it.  Last year was beryl.  Not a particularly interesting metal, so I bought her a Beryl Cook calender, which went down well.  (Along with the flowers, card, lovingly cooked meal etc)

A nice bottle of port might get you by, or you could make your own ruby.
Making rubies

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I was thinking maybe a ruby murray from the take away.

(click to show/hide)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
39... that's yttrium under the periodic table anniversary present scheme.  Garnets or a CRT television I suppose.

(Barakta and I have been celebrating our calcium anniversary with some orthopaedic surgery.)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...

Lace is for your 13th anniversary.

As far as I am aware, there's nothing specific for the 39th anniversary... but I'd go for a nice gemstone.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

T42

• Apprentice geezer
39... that's Yttrium under the periodic table anniversary present scheme.  Garnets or a CRT television I suppose.

Roll on the 94th.

Just sorting out rail & gallery tickets for the weekend.   Am I the only one who loads them onto his phone & also prints a paper copy ... just in case.... ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Beardy

• Shedist
Greater Anglia seem to have withdrawn their support of E-Tickets with my last trip (and Ms Beardy the younger’s) coming trip to that London having no option other than post or collect at station. Most frustrating.

Ryanair won't accept anything other than a printed version of your boarding pass, as I found when I sent  a couple of fitters to Cyprus last week.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Greater Anglia seem to have withdrawn their support of E-Tickets with my last trip (and Ms Beardy the younger’s) coming trip to that London having no option other than post or collect at station. Most frustrating.

I used the Greater Anglia app to purchase and travel with e-tickets on 29 September...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor